Bay Area AT service recommendation - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 07:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
$200 for transmission flush and $125 for the differential?
Differential takes maybe quart, maybe 1/2 gallon of oil. Even with synthetic it is just few dollars. I would compare those 2 jobs like 10 to 1 value.
If you have magnet on the differential case, it will last for the life of the vehicle.
Just make sure the level stays where it suppose to. Something my son had to learn the hard way after he bought used pickup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 11:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

BTW front differential on my E320 has no drainage plug. Have to take a look at others.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
$200 for transmission flush and $125 for the differential?
Differential takes maybe quart, maybe 1/2 gallon of oil. Even with synthetic it is just few dollars. I would compare those 2 jobs like 10 to 1 value.
If you have magnet on the differential case, it will last for the life of the vehicle.
Just make sure the level stays where it suppose to. Something my son had to learn the hard way after he bought used pickup.
Hey, Kaj...is the MBZ rear diff design the same as everyone else's? Just fill it to the plug and you're good to go? Your reference reminded me of my old Camaro; no room under the thing at all, I'm laying there with it on four jackstands (again, got to keep it level) and trying to add oil to the manual*transmission. Less than 2" of clearance on the side of the transmission* (barely enough to remove the plug) so I had to use one of those pumps, then it just came pouring out. Nowhere to go, either. Such a lovely mess. On the MBZ, I wonder if there is no drain*plug on the housing, so for a proper job you'd have to pull the housing cover and clean it out, then fit a new gasket, etc. I can see that being kind of time consuming, which probably accounts for most of the $125. That still seems kind of steep and still should be a pretty basic DIY. Sometime I'll have to crawl under mine and take a hard look at it.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 12:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I didn't get to the rear differential, but had some serious noise from the front drive, so I was checking front differential. Even taking the control plug off required modified Allen wrench, when taking the cover off would be like 1/2 day work.
Don't think any oil place is qualify to do that. I tried to put 1/4" magnet to the bottom of the differential, but there was not enough clearance for it.
Fortunately for me it turned out that it was damaged CV joint so I just put the plug back.
Again, I am very skeptical about the lube places actually doing the job. They might just open the inspection plug and squirt some oil in it. The customer will never know.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
I didn't get to the rear differential, but had some serious noise from the front drive, so I was checking front differential. Even taking the control plug off required modified Allen wrench, when taking the cover off would be like 1/2 day work.
Don't think any oil place is qualify to do that. I tried to put 1/4" magnet to the bottom of the differential, but there was not enough clearance for it.
Fortunately for me it turned out that it was damaged CV joint so I just put the plug back.
Again, I am very skeptical about the lube places actually doing the job. They might just open the inspection plug and squirt some oil in it. The customer will never know.
I don't trust those lube places beyond vacuuming the dirt off of your floor mats...as well as offering to sell you an air*filter you don't need. Note that I don't trust them to install it properly, just to offer to sell it to you.

If the clearance on the rear diff is that bad then I could understand $125 to swap the fluid; some cars removing the housing cover is pretty simple, but if it's anything like your 4matic front, it sounds pretty ugly. Is the front a limited-slip on the 4matic? If so then it probably makes sense to change the fluid occasionally since the clutches will wear, etc. Even at that, it's not like an AT with the fluid running all over, going through valve*bodies, etc., so it's probably something that generally can be let alone.

As I said, I'll peek at mine the next time I'm under it and see if it's as nightmarish as the front on yours sounds, Kaj.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 04:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Two plugs on the differential. Remove the fill plug first. Then remove the drain plug. Drain it hot. Refill. Done. Half hour job. You may need something to pump the new fluid uphill. I've got a four buck pump that screws onto the bottle. Very easy job. MO there is no "filled for life" fluid in any car unless you consider the life of the car to be about 100,000 miles.

Len
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloff
Two plugs on the differential. Remove the fill plug first. Then remove the drain plug. Drain it hot. Refill. Done. Half hour job. You may need something to pump the new fluid uphill. I've got a four buck pump that screws onto the bottle. Very easy job. MO there is no "filled for life" fluid in any car unless you consider the life of the car to be about 100,000 miles.

Len
Thanks, Len. Unfortunately I don't think the newer ones have a drain plug. I glanced when I was under mine last night on an unrelated task and sure didn't see anything that looked like a drain plug. I plan to take a harder look when I do the next oil change (since it will be up enough to get all the way under).

Last edited by Check Codes; 08-24-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in