Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

MB car keys in carry-on luggage?

4K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Corkscrew 
#1 ·
What is the status of our Smart and Keyless Go keys with respect to taking them on airplanes?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know because I have not boarded a commercial airliner since I bought my Benz. However, due to the terrorist scare in the UK about the liquid explosives and battery ignition, I would guess that the airlines would confiscate anything containing a battery, or batteries, if we are trying to board an american or british plane for the next several days. :(

#4 ·
Diesel Benz said:
So far there has been no problem taking the MB keys onboard. However, since today, British Airways explicitly listed key fobs being forbidden, keys are allowed but no electrical key fobs.
That's what I heard and I assume that the keys that we have for our MBs will be treated just like key fobs.

I think the Americans have also banned key fobs from planes.

#6 ·
I read a story. A guy had to replace a $100 Audi key fob due to security confiscating it, just because it had a "switchblade-like action." Kinda stupid IMO. There's not much damage you can do with a squared off and thick key fob that doesn't have any sharp edges, unless you jam it into someones eye. Yet again, it would still take quite a wrestle to do that.

#8 ·
I wonder if someone got so paranoid that they banned all kind of silverware from airplanes...

meaning the only food served would be sandwiches or finger food, or they just said "tough up, eat with your hands. Your great great great ancestors did in the medieval times."

#10 ·
I read in this mornings paper (Palm Beach Post) that electronic key fobs are not allowed. So if you want to loose it to the same thinking as the person who took my nail clippers in Miami, and then told me to put it into my luggage (long gone after check in) go ahead. It is very easy to remove the electronics put it into your checked luggage and leave the emergency key on your key ring. I would keep your spare remote somewhere in the car as a backup in case they loose your luggage. the emergency key will open the door or trunk, but not start it

#11 ·
Peter Guenther said:
I read in this mornings paper (Palm Beach Post) that electronic key fobs are not allowed. So if you want to loose it to the same thinking as the person who took my nail clippers in Miami, and then told me to put it into my luggage (long gone after check in) go ahead. It is very easy to remove the electronics put it into your checked luggage and leave the emergency key on your key ring. I would keep your spare remote somewhere in the car as a backup in case they loose your luggage. the emergency key will open the door or trunk, but not start it
If things don't change before we are scheduled to leave I'll probably FedEx the key ahead.

#12 ·
Peter Guenther said:

This is good advice. But, I think it is far more serious than this. If you go to the airport for a flight to Europe (which I do often for business), there is a chance they won't let you take it in your carry-on or your pocket. There are then two options. First, give it to the TSA person. Second, check it in your luggage.

The second option is preferable. But, if the TSA takes this view, then there will be thousands of people with this problem. I have not heard that TSA has taken this view (at least to CNN.com), but the British have.

It seems to me that if the TSA takes this view, then the chances of auto theft go way, way up. Remember that luggage is no unlocked and any one searching in a bag who finds the key can go and take the care during their break. This would be a potentially huge problem

When coming BCK to the US, this would obviously not be a problem as the car is in the US and not overseas.

So, if things stay the way they are, there should be no real problem.

By the way, I emailed my dealer in Manhattan, but I have yet to get a reply. I asked him if Mercedes will start to re-think their key strategy in light of new security realities.

#13 ·
scottw said:
This is good advice. But, I think it is far more serious than this. If you go to the airport for a flight to Europe (which I do often for business), there is a chance they won't let you take it in your carry-on or your pocket. There are then two options. First, give it to the TSA person. Second, check it in your luggage.

The second option is preferable. But, if the TSA takes this view, then there will be thousands of people with this problem. I have not heard that TSA has taken this view (at least to CNN.com), but the British have.

It seems to me that if the TSA takes this view, then the chances of auto theft go way, way up. Remember that luggage is no unlocked and any one searching in a bag who finds the key can go and take the care during their break. This would be a potentially huge problem

When coming BCK to the US, this would obviously not be a problem as the car is in the US and not overseas.

So, if things stay the way they are, there should be no real problem.

By the way, I emailed my dealer in Manhattan, but I have yet to get a reply. I asked him if Mercedes will start to re-think their key strategy in light of new security realities.
People on the MB forums in the UK and the one in Canada have already experienced this problem: not allowed to take key on board in carry-on or on person.

I really hope that they resolve this soon. Look, almost everyone with a car has some sort of electronic key.

Maybe there should be a key box at the security check and the box would ride with the pilot.

#14 ·
"Mules" for keys

Maybe "mules" will switch from swallowing little bags of coke to little bags of keys. Can you imagine all these businessmen in the loo waiting for the mule to 'pass' his key.

#15 ·
Corkscrew said:
Maybe "mules" will switch from swallowing little bags of coke to little bags of keys. Can you imagine all these businessmen in the loo waiting for the mule to 'pass' his key.
That is a good one. I do think that this is very serious, though. I just hope they think this through, as this probably would effect at least 25% of all passangers. I guess there is no real choice but to put the electronic part in the checked luggage and hope for the best.

#16 ·
I've had airlines lose my luggage so many times, their is NO WAY I am putting my key in my checked-in baggage. While I could take the emergency key and place an extra in my car, that would be an open invitation to steal my car. I'm not to fond of that idea either.

I think these security bans are getting out of hand. I all for protecting Airlines and its passengers, but their is a point where those actions become overkill.

If the Government is so concerned with people being killed, maybe they should ban cars to, after all more than 40,000 people die every year in automobile accidents. :D

#17 ·
rstone said:
I've had airlines lose my luggage so many times, their is NO WAY I am putting my key in my checked-in baggage. While I could take the emergency key and place an extra in my car, that would be an open invitation to steal my car. I'm not to fond of that idea either.

I think these security bans are getting out of hand. I all for protecting Airlines and its passengers, but their is a point where those actions become overkill.

If the Government is so concerned with people being killed, maybe they should ban cars to, after all more than 40,000 people die every year in automobile accidents. :D
I like your 'signature'....very appropriate now!

#20 ·
Hi guys,

Just wanted to post something you might find useful regarding the keys my mate as just been doing some travelling and he removed the emergency key and the battery's from the smartkey, got rid of the batteries he will buy new ones when he arrives home and kept the two sections of the key in different bags.

So if one bag goes missing for whatever reason all anybody would have would be half a key and when he arrives home he would still have the emergency key to allow him access to his car while the MB Breakdown people turn up.

Just thought i would post the idea but its more complicated than the FedEx idea but not everybody has that option

#21 ·
Corkscrew

Corkscrew said:
Our MB dealer in Bangkok gave them to us when we bought the S.
Thank you! My dealer gave me a nice metal keyfob with some of their contact information engraved into the back of it. I like that too, but I would still like to find a case like you have. Maybe the MB Collections catalog will offer it in the 2007 edition.

#22 ·
Other ideas

What about driving another car to the airport and leaving the Benz at home? If this isn't an option, how about taking a taxi to and from the airport or somehow getting to a pick-up point for an airport shuttle?

The best idea I think was the suggestion about checking your Smart Key into an airport locker, but I had no idea that they are emptied every 48 hours. If this is the case with your particular airport, maybe we should request that certain lockers be deemed "short term" and "long term" just like they designate the differences with the parking?

I know that any of these are an inconvenience, but hopefully, this heightened level of security will only last a short time.

#23 ·
Musikmann said:
What about driving another car to the airport and leaving the Benz at home? If this isn't an option, how about taking a taxi to and from the airport or somehow getting to a pick-up point for an airport shuttle?

The best idea I think was the suggestion about checking your Smart Key into an airport locker, but I had no idea that they are emptied every 48 hours. If this is the case with your particular airport, maybe we should request that certain lockers be deemed "short term" and "long term" just like they designate the differences with the parking?

I know that any of these are an inconvenience, but hopefully, this heightened level of security will only last a short time.
Fortunately, I'm not booked to fly via London for another couple of months. I imagine that these draconian restrictions will end by then. If not, I'll fly via Zurich or Frankfurt.

#24 ·
Corkscrew said:
What is the status of our Smart and Keyless Go keys with respect to taking them on airplanes?

The prohibition is "electrical key fobs. But the dictionary defines fobs as:

------------------

fob1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fb)
n.
A small pocket at the front waistline of a man's trousers or in the front of a vest, used especially to hold a watch.

A short chain or ribbon attached to a pocket watch and worn hanging in front of the vest or waist.
An ornament or seal attached to such a chain or ribbon.

---------------------------

MB keys are integrated units...not fobs.

#25 ·
LONDON (MarketWatch) -- As several U.K. airlines complained that London-airports operator BAA Plc wasn't equipped to deal with the stringent security measures imposed by the government in the wake of a foiled terrorist attack on passenger jets, the U.K. Department of Transport said passengers would now be allowed to carry one piece of hand luggage on board.

But BAA (UK:BAA: news, chart, profile) on Monday urged passengers using the London airports of Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted not to bring hand baggage as it gradually phases in the latest changes. It said it wouldn't be in a position to implement the new rules until Tuesday.

British Airways welcomed the eased restrictions, which mean customers can now bring a bag on board with set dimensions of 45cm x 35cm x 16cm. Laptops and electrical goods may be included within the bag, but the ban on the carrying of liquid items remained.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.