post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 10:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discipline
I think it is rather phat.. But I'd probably rather go with an S-class if I had to choose.
I think it's phskinny myself. In fact, I can't believe people are even trying to compare the two. Except that they're both cars, they're not in the same class. I like the VW Passat better than the LS. They are in the same class, IMO.

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 10:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadajack
The LS is still a copy of the S Class front and a copy of the BMW line in the rear, the profile in particular.

Good decision on your choice...the new S is above them all right now....:-)
GREAT Sig Pic Jack! You've been working on that a while, I'll bet. WOW!!

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 10:43 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2002
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I think it's phskinny myself. In fact, I can't believe people are even trying to compare the two. Except that they're both cars, they're not in the same class. I like the VW Passat better than the LS. They are in the same class, IMO.
Owning a S-class yourself you don't have a biased opinion?
Of course they are in the same class!

Current Car: BMW 645 -05
Previous Cars: BMW X3 -04 (winter car), SLK55 -05, Lexus SC430 -02, SLK32 -02, SLK230 -98, Audi TT -00, BMW 325 -91
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 11:15 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 2008 SL550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
GREAT Sig Pic Jack! You've been working on that a while, I'll bet. WOW!!
Thanks Jay...found a tutorial on how to do this (called OOB's for Out of Bounds) and tried a few. A lot of steps in PS (30) but I finally got it figured out. It acually took me about an hour or so with the step by step guide. I posted the full image on MB World and German Car Zone it turned out so well.

In fact since you like it, here is the full image:

2008 SL550. Black on Black. AMG Pkg., Parktronic, P1 Pkg.

http://nevadajack.zenfolio.com/

Last edited by nevadajack; 08-08-2006 at 11:18 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 11:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Thanks Jay...found a tutorial on how to do this (called OOB's for Out of Bounds) and tried a few. A lot of steps in PS (30) but I finally got it figured out. It acually took me about an hour or so with the step by step guide. I posted the full image on MB World and German Car Zone it turned out so well.

Thank you! That really IS a beauty!! It makes me feel like ducking. It appears to be coming right off the page.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Lightbulb Lexus copies of Mercedes and BMW

I agree with deutsche280. I think the Lexus LS 400 series look like S-Class Mercedes. I also agree with asianml that they look somewhat like BMW.

I guess what I am saying is this: Lexus apparently does not have the design expertise to come up with a nice outer body on it's own.

Has anyone seen much japanese art for that matter? The little I've seen is pretty ugly. As as a race/culture, I don't think they are artistically inclined (not that the germans are either compared with the italians for example).

But, most of us like the Mercedes appearance, and if we wanted a Ferrari or Maserati we'd probably buy it mainly for it's style and performance - certainly not for it's long-term durability.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 08-09-2006 at 07:32 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 08:35 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
I think you have to tip your hats more to BMW, from whom they copied Chris Bangle for the W221 and the Lexus.

I think BMW had the most influence on the W221 and the new Lexus.

For example, when the E65/E66 came out, it was the first car that was part of the large luxury sedan segment to feature "controversial looks" at the time. It had a fat butt, pronounced wheel wells, a high shoulder lines, and the rolling, kind of hatchback like C-pillar and short trunk.

Here's a picture comparison I made for another thread.

And down the line through history, BMW also has influenced other car manufacturers in terms of design cues.

For example, do you think Mercedes would have thought of circular headlights if BMW hadn't thought of that ages ago? It's been their trademark since they moved away from airplane engines to cars.

Even Lexus had influence from BMW...If you look at the new GS, they stole the "hofmeister kink," which has been around since the 1961 BMW 1500. the "hofmeister kink" is an angle at which the window takes at the C-Pillar.

Those are just a few examples.

Last edited by chinny4290; 08-09-2006 at 08:37 PM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 06:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsche280
the m5 and the LS pic from the side view really do look quite similar, i guess the guys at lexus were like, "we're tired of copying mercedes, lets copy bmw now" lol next the japanese will be copying audi loll once lexus stops copying top german luxury sedans then people wont buy their cars, so i guess the japanese design team at lexus closly monitors wat the the new german designs that comes out and they try to come out with their "version" of it, and then they say that lexus is in the "passionate pursuit of perfection", more like pursuit of "copying" or "imitating" lol
I really don't think that's fair. If anything the new Mercedes S class looks reminiscent of many other designs. I find the BMW 5 series ugly to look at but the new LS has some style and pleasant lines. I can't see Asianml's links to 5 series looks. Anyway the 5 series looks have been so criticised why would anyone want to copy them?
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 03:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Quote:

I have to agree with Jayhawk. (we hawks stick together). That is the most fantastic car shot I've ever seen. If I'm not very careful I'm going to let NevadaJack alter my first impressions of the 221. But i'll keep fighting a while yet.
Have you seen the pics I posted on the General Forum of the new convertible S class. Hot news over here and looks a genuine runner. Imagine that Jack. Roof down. Wind in the hair. Girls skirts blowing all over the place.

Hawk20
ML350cdi Sport
E220cdi Estate Avantgarde (sold)
S class 320 cdi 2005 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in