post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 06:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinny4290
Ok. Here's the deal. I'll be 17 in just a few months which marks the biggest moment of my entire life, my first car.

. . . . . . . . . <I cut out the middle> . . . . . . . .

The rest of my cars include E32, E38 BMW 7er, E34 5er, E31 8er, Infiniti Q45t 98-01, Lexus SC400, LS400, VW B5/B5.5 Passat V6 4MOTION or W8 4MOTION, Acura TL Type-S, CL Type-S. But the one car that is on the top of my list is the W126, and has been for quite a while. You don't have to worry about the other cars in my list, but it's just to give you an idea.
If you mean you’re considering the cars at the end of your list, I have no comment on any of those vehicles.

The 124, 126, and 140 are all very nice cars. Staying within the options you supplied, I’d prefer the 124 based 500E/E500, 400E/E420, 300E/E320, an OM603 or M119 powered 140, or a 126 in that order. However, those are my preferences, and since this is your car, my predilection shouldn’t mean much.

Buying a car is simple. Keeping it running is another story. For example, you can probably find a 1990 928 for $8K. If the clutch dies, a Sach’s clutch kit (Pressure plate, disc, and pilot bearing) is about $1100 – over the counter at a discount house. I don’t know how long it takes to do one, but ages ago when I was a Porsche wrench, early 944-Turbo clutch jobs booked for about 20 hours. If you have access to an independent Mercedes mechanic or you know how to turn a wrench, things could go quite well. Regardless, you may want to consider having the car professionally inspected. It’ll cost a few bucks, but it’s typically money well spent. You’d hate to buy a 1993 500E and determine that light, low-speed rattle you hear is the monolithic block of catalyst material banging around. While on the subject of 500E’s, you may want to talk to your insurance agent. I’ve driven them at Willow Springs Raceway and they are not your average sedan. I’m sure your agent knows that as well.

Here are two other things you may wish to consider: (1) If you have a local independent Mercedes Benz repair facility (someplace that’s recommended by someone you trust), they may know of some cars for sale. Hopefully those are cars whose owners are simply trading up, versus unloading because the cam chains are stretched beyond belief. (2) Asking the seller for the maintenance receipts.

There are some very good used cars for sale. Hopefully you get one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 08:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The 126 is the last reliable Mercedes, then; and in that sense true Mercedes. In 92 the infamous ‘green’ wiring harness was used with disastrous results. It’s been down hill since then.

Get a nice 89 – 91 300 SE/L, last of the Classic Mercedes (and true S Class) sedan matched with the tough and reliable Ml03.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Let's please not turn this into an argument thread in what's the last true mercedes lol...

About researching for a good example, I know what to look for. I've been looking at first cars since I was 14 lol...

Another very very good family friend has been very loyal to mercedes and has a friend who is supposed to be one of the best Benz mechanics in the area, only 15 min from my house. I actually went there to see if he offered any summer jobs of any sort.

He's got W126s galore sitting out side, and plenty of W124s and other classics and moderns.

So far, in terms of my research, before purchasing the car, I do plan on having that mechanic inspect the car, and plan on going to Mercedes with the VIN number and having all service records printed for me, while also relying on CarFax. My philosophy has always been: you can never be too thorough with cars. The extra research always helps to potentially save you from the biggest money pits of your life (at least, one of).

So I've got that all down.

In terms of car repair, if it's simple as to replacing a headlight unit or even a catalytic converter, my dad or uncle would be able to help (Both were mechanics in gas stations when they were teens) and I myself am a very easy learner with mechanics so as I long as I have a thorough and proper DIY (which I'm sure there are plenty over the net and on this forum), I probably will be able to do repairs myself. But when it comes to fixing something like, if I get the hydropneumatic (i really hate typing that word lol) suspension and something goes wrong, I'll leave that to the mechanic to fix.
And I will allocaate a specific amount of money just for parts and repairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in