LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
U.S. Cars v Mercedes v Others

English news tonight shows Toyota overtaking Ford in the US. GM, Chrysler and others doing badly but Hyundai doing well. As the World's biggest ever car producer and founder of mass production with Henry Ford, it is sad to hear this kind of news. In Britain we were one of the best producers of quality cars. But Jaguar ran up huge losses and was bought by Ford along with Aston Martin. Bentley and Rolls Royce both foundered to be bought by VW and BMW respectively. Rover went under and has been bought by the Chinese. As a huge admirer of the many great American cars over the years, I wonder just what is going on in your country and hope it will not follow what happened in ours.

We buy Mercedes and BMW's and many of you do the same. But we all need jobs and employment to fund our pleasures. GMisBest usually chimes in with some pro US talk and good job too. But is what is happening serious or is the American car Industry going to get back on top again?

And having bought Chrysler, Mercedes could hardly afford to see that deal go sour. But over here the Jeep and grand Cherokee are being heavily discounted. Not a good sign. One commentator said the Japanese make just a few less cars than the market will take and avoid discounting. Wish Mercedes would learn that trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 07:48 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Well I used to be a hardcore GM enthusist, now I just despise all GM vehicles, their engineering department comes up with foolish ideas, mostly due to buget constraintes I guess.
I'd hate to see an American company fall but GM doesn't know who their customers are or what they want and they abuse them too.

GM= builds stupid cars. All they have left are good trucks with sucky interiors!
what a joke. time to fire some CEO's

Oh yeah, I just bought a DC Crossfire, and I love it, just needs another 150 hp, but I can live with it.

Last edited by DynamicS; 08-01-2006 at 07:51 PM.
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Really? Have GM sunk that far? How sad. I look at the Caddy in Rain Man -what a car, what a classic and numerous others over the years.
Once drove a Ford Lincoln from New York to Florida. Great car and so comfortable -in a straight line that is! Really enjoyed it.
post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 08:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Here in the car capitol of the US (California), we’ll have a chance to watch Mercedes-Benz go head to head against Lexus in a no holds barred death match between Fletcher Jones Motorcars and the brand new Newport Lexus.

Why is this a big deal? According to Fletcher Jones, they are the nation’s highest volume Mercedes-Benz dealership. MBUSA refuses to confirm or deny that claim. Fletcher Jones did over a half-billion in sales in 2004. Directly across the street is the brand spanking new, "Taj Mahal of luxury car stores" – Newport Lexus. What makes this Lexus store so special? The owner, Dave Wilson, paid $75 million dollars for the Lexus store. $30 million for the land, and another $45 million to build the store. Per my sources, $75 million is probably a record for building a new dealership.

Dave Wilson expects to sell 400 new and used cars per month at his new store. By comparison, Fletcher Jones sold over eight thousand cars in calendar year 2004.
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 01:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Wink Crossfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicS
I just bought a DC Crossfire, and I love it, just needs another 150 hp, but I can live with it.
Unfortunately, the Crossfires were not available with an AMG engine. For that matter, I don't think the SLKs were/are either Someone please correct me of I'm wrong here.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 01:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Thumbs up MarcusF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Dave Wilson expects to sell 400 new and used (Lexus) cars per month at his new store. By comparison, Fletcher Jones sold over eight thousand cars in calendar year 2004.
Hi again Marcus,

OMG - 8000 Mercedes sold by only one dealer?

California IS a different world, isn't it?

I remember something I heard back in "our" Porsche days - that there were more "Poochies" driving around in CA that there were in all of Germany!

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 08:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

That 8000+ figure covered both new and used cars at the Fletcher Jones Mercedes dealership. He has a mob of people who show up on Saturday mornings for the free car washes (buy a car, get free washes). The people are there for the social scene as much as anything. According to AIADA, FJ was the first dealship to offer that service. That was a great business move.

It will be interesting to see if the Lexus dealer can survive. I don't know how many cars the Lexus dealer has to sell and service just to break even on the $75 mil. Time will tell if it was a good business move.
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Here in the car capitol of the US (California), we’ll have a chance to watch Mercedes-Benz go head to head against Lexus in a no holds barred death match between Fletcher Jones Motorcars and the brand new Newport Lexus.

Dave Wilson expects to sell 400 new and used cars per month at his new store. By comparison, Fletcher Jones sold over eight thousand cars in calendar year 2004.
YES but my question is where does all this leave the US car industry. You are all talking about Lexus and Mercedes. But what future has Chrysler and today in the UK we hear Ford announcing big losses in the last quarter. How has the US gone from being the biggest car producer in the world to a situation where all the big guys appear to be in trouble and US consumers appear more and more to be buying foreign - just like we did in Britain and watched all our great makers fold.
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 10:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk20
YES but my question is where does all this leave the US car industry. You are all talking about Lexus and Mercedes. But what future has Chrysler and today in the UK we hear Ford announcing big losses in the last quarter. How has the US gone from being the biggest car producer in the world to a situation where all the big guys appear to be in trouble and US consumers appear more and more to be buying foreign - just like we did in Britain and watched all our great makers fold.
I can give you the current US stats.

BMW (includes Mini and Rolls-Royce) sold 181,053 vehicles in the first seven months of 2006, and 171,900 vehicles in the same period in 2005, which is an increase of 5.3%

DaimlerChrysler (includes Mercedes-Benz) sold 1,416,596 vehicles in the first seven months of 2006, and 1,547,652 vehicles in the same period in 2005, which is a decrease of 8.5%

Ford Motor Co. (includes Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo) sold 1,782,834 vehicles in the first seven months of 2006, and 1,974,417 vehicles in the same period in 2005, which is a decrease of 9.7%

General Motors (includes Saab ) sold 2,442,335 vehicles in the first seven months of 2006, and 2,844,839 vehicles in the same period in 2005, which is a decrease of 14.1%

American Honda (includes Acura) sold 893,031 vehicles in the first seven months of 2006, and 835,581 vehicles in the same period in 2005, which is an increase of 6.9%

Hyundai Group (includes Kia) sold 454,247 vehicles in the first seven months of 2006, and 438,006 vehicles in the same period in 2005, which is an increase of 3.7%

Isuzu sold 5,430 vehicles in the first seven months of 2006, and 8,444 vehicles in the same period in 2005, which is a decrease of 35.7%

Mazda sold 166,679 vehicles in the first seven months of 2006, and 159,808 vehicles in the same period in 2005, which is an increase of 4.3%

Mitsubishi sold 68,863 vehicles in the first seven months of 2006, and 76,129 vehicles in the same period in 2005, which is a decrease of 9.5%

Nissan (includes Infiniti) sold 598,176 vehicles in the first seven months of 2006, and 650,022 vehicles in the same period in 2005, which is a decrease of 8.0%

Porsche sold 21,803 vehicles in the first seven months of 2006, and 18,930 vehicles in the same period in 2005, which is an increase of 15.2%

Subaru sold 114,949 vehicles in the first seven months of 2006, and 111,262 vehicles in the same period in 2005, which is an increase of 3.3%

Suzuki sold 64,989 vehicles in the first seven months of 2006, and 49,139 vehicles in the same period in 2005, which is an increase of 32.3%

Toyota (includes Lexus) sold 1,465,368 vehicles in the first seven months of 2006, and 1,330,487 vehicles in the same period in 2005, which is an increase of 10.1%

VW (includes Audi and Bentley) sold 188,362 vehicles in the first seven months of 2006, and 164,972 vehicles in the same period in 2005, which is an increase of 14.2%

Other (an estimate that includes Ferrari, Lambo, Lotus, etc.) sold 3,914 vehicles in the first seven months of 2006, and 3,763 vehicles in the same period in 2005, which is an increase of 4.0%

TOTALS: 9,868,617 vehicles sold in the U.S. during the first seven months of 2006, and 10,385,351 vehicles in the same period in 2005, which is a decrease of 5.0%

My bare Mercedes-Benz stats are only valid through June.
US Mercedes-Benz sales through June are 114,900 vehicles, an increase of 16.5% from last year. Worldwide Mercedes-Benz sales are 565,300 vehicles, an increase of 13.1 percent from 2005. Sales in Germany are down 0.9%, up in Asia/Pacific 17.9%, and up in wertern Europe (excluding Germany) by 8.9%

Basically, the Big Three are getting hammered, but the numbers are skewed. Last year, the Big Three were selling cars to the general public at employee prices. This year, only Chrysler is running the sale. Under the program, any customer can get the same price on almost any 2006 vehicle that Chrysler employees pay. Consumers also have a choice of 0 percent financing for 36 months or rebates that vary from model to model. This started early in July and runs until August 31st. Before anyone corrects me, the sale was scheduled to end on July 31st, but yesterday Chrysler made an announcement extending the date.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
MarcusF what a fantastic mine of information you are. Very interesting to see all the figures.
BTW today's news in UK is that Ford is thinking of selling Jaguar because of continuing heavy losses. Are the big American car makers going to survive? And who will buy Jaguar? And why would anyone buy it if nobody can make a profit from it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in