LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 10:17 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk20
Don't any of you guys buy American any more? Who does buy them and how will US carmakers survive if so many buy imports?

I have found most amercian cars lately are a lot like the wares they sell at Wal Mart. Disposable. It's false economy to buy a plastic death trap that buyers will hardly pay off the loan before it breaks down.

However, we do have a Ford Expedition that has served us quite well-but the gas mileage is horrible. It will soon to be replaced with a 07 Mercedes GL which has much better gas mileage.

My best,

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Arrow Lincoln LS

Quote:
Ford used to do a V6 Lincoln Sedan back in the late 80's. I drove one a good few miles along the East coast of the US. Do they still make an equivalent or is it all SUV's now?
Ford's Lincoln-Mercury division makes (or made) a Lincoln LS that is a smaller automobile. I know nothing about engines, performance or reliability, but I like the way it looks. In my opinion, it's design looks european.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #53 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 11:05 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
Ford's Lincoln-Mercury division makes (or made) a Lincoln LS that is a smaller automobile. I know nothing about engines, performance or reliability, but I like the way it looks. In my opinion, it's design looks european.

One of our employees bought one of those just the other day. Looks and sounds gutsy. Hard to say much more about it yet-as he has been driving it for 3 days!

Melissa
post #54 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Thumbs up M-b Gl

Quote:
Originally Posted by savinggrace
...we do have a Ford Expedition that has served us quite well-but the gas mileage is horrible. It will soon to be replaced with a 07 Mercedes GL which has much better gas mileage.
Good choice Melissa!

I hope you enjoy it,
Musikmann

post #55 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Cool Lincoln LS - some specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by savinggrace
One of our employees bought one of those just the other day. Looks and sounds gutsy. Hard to say much more about it yet-as he has been driving it for 3 days!Melissa
I copy/pasted this from their website:

The (3.9L) V-8 engine in Lincoln LS makes a statement — a powerful one. Featuring variable-cam timing for greater air intake, which means more power, the power plant in Lincoln LS delivers 280 hp and 286 lb.-ft. of torque.

To more quickly harness that energy, the engine also features electronic throttle control. And aluminum construction not only helps keep the powertrain lean, but also helps the engine dissipate heat more quickly.

There is a lot more, but since I responded to the hawk20 statement about a 6-cylinder Lincoln, I thought I'd elaborate on my other post.

Also, I built one and the sport version base MSRP is $39,285, and fully loaded (both the elite and premium packages) is $46,965. I couldn't get the site to compare this to an E350/E500, but they suggest that it is eqivalent to a BMW 5-series 525i and a Lexus ES 330.

Last edited by Musikmann; 08-28-2006 at 11:53 AM. Reason: adding to message
post #56 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
I copy/pasted this from their website:
The (3.9L) V-8 engine in Lincoln LS makes a statement — a powerful one. Featuring variable-cam timing for greater air intake, which means more power, the power plant in Lincoln LS delivers 280 hp and 286 lb.-ft. of torque.

There is a lot more, but since I responded to the hawk20 statement about a 6-cylinder Lincoln, I thought I'd elaborate on my other post.

Also, I built one and the sport version base MSRP is $39,285, and fully loaded (both the elite and premium packages) is $46,965. I couldn't get the site to compare this to an E350/E500, but they suggest that it is eqivalent to a BMW 5-series 525i and a Lexus ES 330.
Thanks Musikman. When they say equivalent to BMW and Lexus is that on performance, spec or price. I thought normally US cars were a good bit cheaper than Euro imports???

Thanks also Marcus for info on the Chrysler 300c. Odd they don't do the diesel when smaller fuel efficient cars are reported as doing so well recently. Do you think it would be a hit in the US?

Has savingrace or anyone got a picture of this new Lincoln? From what is being said on this thread sounds as though the sedan has almost gone from main US makers. Is that so or am I misreading? When I think of the US I always think of those huge long sedans (or saloons as we say) floating along like majestic cruise liners.

Hawk20
ML350cdi Sport
E220cdi Estate Avantgarde (sold)
S class 320 cdi 2005 (sold)
post #57 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Not a Lincoln, but what do you think of this puppy?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #58 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:33 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Not a Lincoln, but what do you think of this puppy?

It's wicked cool, saw one in person at the NYC auto show. But I think it's too much of a Rolls Royce Phantom Knock-off....
post #59 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 06:44 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Hot...it sure isn't your Daddy's Concorde or your Mama's Lebaron!
post #60 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 07:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Arrow BMW-Lexus equivalence

Quote:
Thanks Musikman. When they say equivalent to BMW and Lexus is that on performance, spec or price. I thought normally US cars were a good bit cheaper than Euro imports???

Has savingrace or anyone got a picture of this new Lincoln? From what is being said on this thread sounds as though the sedan has almost gone from main US makers. Is that so or am I misreading? When I think of the US I always think of those huge long sedans (or saloons as we say) floating along like majestic cruise liners.
Cheers hawk20,

The "compare vehicles" feature did not work, so I can't say much more about it. Their "default comparisons" section show that BMW and Lexus, but they do not elaborate. I only tried to get them to compare to the MBs I mentioned, it might work right for those 2 vehicles.

To see one, try http://www.lincoln.com and select Lincoln LS.

LOL, you are correct about the US luxury sedans, at least in times gone by. One of those, the Lincoln Town Car was recently discontinued, if I'm not mistaken. Those were big boys.

Last edited by Musikmann; 08-29-2006 at 07:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in