post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 07:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk20
Really? Have GM sunk that far? How sad. I look at the Caddy in Rain Man -what a car, what a classic and numerous others over the years.
Except it was a Buick.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
Unfortunately, the Crossfires were not available with an AMG engine. For that matter, I don't think the SLKs were/are either Someone please correct me of I'm wrong here.
Actually the crossfire SRT-6 has the SLK32 AMG motor in it, which is supercharged and puts out about 320 hp, yet it only cost about $20,000 more than base crossfire
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike
Except it was a Buick.
Was it a Buick? What a beauty. Today our news says Ford recalling a million cars for an engine fire problem. As if the US car industry hasn't enough problems.
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Don't any of you guys buy American any more? Who does buy them and how will US carmakers survive if so many buy imports?
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 05:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2008 Outback 2.5 XT, 1999 A4 1.8T, 1980 244 GL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ruudje
why bother.... there was an article a couple weeks ago on the "good old" Chevy Impala - once a real hot seller in the 60s, nowadays just another bland mouse grey sales rep vehicle.... compare that to the new Toyo Camry (sorry, but this one does not look that bad at all) or the US Honda Accord (though I like the European Accord a lot better). Like earlier stated, the US manufacturers do not even know WHO their clients are.... they depended too heavily on trucks and SUVs, and now with gas prices somewhat higher (but still a joke compared to what you guys in Europe have to pay) everybody's downsizing their autos; exactly to a market area where the Japs and Koreans tend to excel. Go figure....

“One who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand on the battlefield.”

Last edited by Ruudje; 08-04-2006 at 05:43 PM.
post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 08:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Don't any of you guys buy American any more? Who does buy them and how will US carmakers survive if so many buy imports?
The US brands might be OK down the road. Chrysler is selling some products, but the current gas prices are killing truck sales. IMO all three moved away from cars and got fat on SUV sales. Ford’s current recovery plans involve outside help. They hired investment banker Kenneth Leet as a strategic advisor to CEO Bill Ford. This mirrors what happened at GM a year ago. Last summer, GM hired Steve Girsky as a “special advisor” to CEO Rick Wagoner. Not that I know anything about running an automaker. I’m just an observant hack. Based on my observations, outside consultants don’t last long in Detroit. Auto execs seem to feel that outsiders have no idea how to run a large car company, so consultants are regularly shown the door. Girsky got the boot after 10 months. He must have rubbed someone (if not everyone) the wrong way by preaching that GM needed to reduce overhead and cut out a lot of useless capacity. Upper managers whose business cards read “VP in charge of Glut, Excess Capacity, and Even Bigger SUVs” may not have felt their uselessness required any cuts. Despite the fact that Girsky was tossed out on his ear, Wagoner has been following his advice as part of the GM turnaround. Hopefully 12 months from now Ford will be on track. That is, IF they can cut dependence on SUVs and get back to automobile sales . . . oh yeah . . . . . . that’s right . . . . . . . I almost forgot. I don’t know anything about running an automaker. Since that's the case, I’m sure upper management will figure it out.
post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 08:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
...which makes me think...

I drive German-made car with Japanese (Toshiba) laptop being used as GPS device and on my way I listen to Italian music..

So it is Berlin-Rome-Tokyo axle all over again...

Who the hell won World War II?
post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 07:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
I recently bought a 2006 Focus ZX3. Very happy with it so far (8,200 miles).

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike
I recently bought a 2006 Focus ZX3. Very happy with it so far (8,200 miles).
Good. My son in law has UK Ford Focus and it drives very well. Done 45,000 trouble free miles so far. Ford used to do a V6 Lincoln Sedan back in the late 80's. I drove one a good few miles along the East coast of the US. Do they still make an equivalent or is it all SUV's now?

UK fuel has just reached £1 per litre which is £4-54p per gallon. That's about $8 a gallon. It hurts believe me.
post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2008 Outback 2.5 XT, 1999 A4 1.8T, 1980 244 GL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ruudje
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz Devil
Ford just brought back Lincoln Zephyr last year. The car is basiclly same as Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan. It is a front-wheel drive car with V6 and sitting on Mazda 6 Platform. I test drove it. Here's the link I wrote after the test drive.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/off-...ln-zephyr.html

But I heard a rumor that Lincoln will drop this model due to low sales volume and rework the car toward more of crossover SUV/station wagon.
that's weird - I read last week that the Milan/Zephyr/Fusion did quite well in the statistics, and that this trio is the "benchmark" for modern US built compact/mid size sedans. I have to say, they are great cars! I'd buy one (the Ford with V6) if I had the cash.

“One who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand on the battlefield.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in