Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 93 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 08:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Come on ladies and gents.

I owned about 15 cars in my life, Toyotas, Hondas, Mitsubishi, Audi, Volvos..
I took quite a few Bimmer test drives

Pepsi vs Coca

No car has better handling and feeling the driver (driver being me) than Benz..
post #73 of 93 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 08:46 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine_coon
Come on ladies and gents.

I owned about 15 cars in my life, Toyotas, Hondas, Mitsubishi, Audi, Volvos..
I took quite a few Bimmer test drives

Pepsi vs Coca

No car has better handling and feeling the driver (driver being me) than Benz..

Quite factually, you're on the wrong side. But, I'm not here to argue.

People have different opinions, so we'll leave it at that.
post #74 of 93 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 10:19 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1997 E320
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinny4290

How can he factually be on the wrong side when giving his opinion
As a mater of fact I too share his opinion, having owned many other makes and models including Lexus and BMW,
my Benz feels better to me than any other car I have ever owned.

But as they say, Different Folks - Different Strokes or as maine_coon said you like Coke I like Pepsi
post #75 of 93 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 10:29 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeblue91
How can he factually be on the wrong side when giving his opinion
As a mater of fact I too share his opinion, having owned many other makes and models including Lexus and BMW,
my Benz feels better to me than any other car I have ever owned.

But as they say, Different Folks - Different Strokes or as maine_coon said you like Coke I like Pepsi
WEll, indeed, that's why I said people have different opinions.
post #76 of 93 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 11:49 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 1977 MB 300D, 1948 Willy's CJ2A, 1972 Vespa Rally 200, 1979 Vespa 50s, 1980 Vespa P210, Etc....
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1
asianml, what are you basing your statement on when you say mercedes has "wayyyyy" superior engineering? How can this be true when toyota/lexus cars are much more reliable mechancially and electronically than their merdeces counterparts. I don't think there is any way you can back this statement up. On the safety note I do agree that mercedes makes a vehicle that can do well in accidents, but so do several other manufacturers.

NZ Benz, what you said about other companies copying and improving on mercedes derived technology is interesting. I suppose this could explain it but can you point to something specifically that was copied by japanese auto makers from mercedes (other than safety related tech like airbags etc.)? What I doubt in your argument is the extent of copying. I seriously doubt that if you took apart an LS and an S-class that you would find copies of driveline components for example.
I've owned 5 Toyota trucks (with a combo. of 1 million miles) so in the past I have been very happy with Toyota, I now have a 2001 Tundra 4x4 and the quality sucks, it has 60k on it and I have put in a new trans. needs entire new front brakes (calipers where originally too small), headers cracked and oxy sensor is burned out. Toyota does not (without exception) stand behind it's vehicles, I admit most of their vehicles are great, but the problems I am haveing are typical on Tundras (trust me I am now an expert) and should have been covered under a more extensive recall ( only to 35k ) because these were design flaws which fail on more than 50% of the trucks. Anyway my point, I have a 1977 MB W123 Diesel with 200k and rides and runs like a new car, with very minor probelms. So even though I still love Toys (even my Tundra) the MB is a much better designed and built car, and it was built 30 years ago in the 70's when nothing was built very well.
Cheers
P.S. pretty much every car company is copying MB since they were the first.
post #77 of 93 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 01:04 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 1976 280C
I have to throw my 2 cents in on this one, My 30 year old 200k mi. unrestored M-B is still as solid as a rock, no squeeks or rattles and is an absolute pleasure to drive, I see very few cars of other makes of half that age that are still on the road without being completely restored. My car has had only normal maintenance not a fanatical regime, The head has never been off the motor. It has great "road-feel" and character, Things lacking in most other makes, Yes at first some of the engineering seems a bit over the top at times, but in reality is quite simple. That is what I consider "Great" engineering.
post #78 of 93 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 05:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite126
I've owned 5 Toyota trucks (with a combo. of 1 million miles) so in the past I have been very happy with Toyota, I now have a 2001 Tundra 4x4 and the quality sucks, it has 60k on it and I have put in a new trans. needs entire new front brakes (calipers where originally too small), headers cracked and oxy sensor is burned out. Toyota does not (without exception) stand behind it's vehicles, I admit most of their vehicles are great, but the problems I am haveing are typical on Tundras (trust me I am now an expert) and should have been covered under a more extensive recall ( only to 35k ) because these were design flaws which fail on more than 50% of the trucks. Anyway my point, I have a 1977 MB W123 Diesel with 200k and rides and runs like a new car, with very minor probelms. So even though I still love Toys (even my Tundra) the MB is a much better designed and built car, and it was built 30 years ago in the 70's when nothing was built very well.
Cheers
P.S. pretty much every car company is copying MB since they were the first.
Yes and Toyota are having problems!
Toyota to tackle quality control

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5285196.stm

Toyota to tackle quality control

Toyota may have to delay the roll-out of some new models while it resolves quality control issues that have seen more than a million cars recalled.
President Katsuaki Watanabe said the firm was looking at all aspects of car development, from manufacturing and design to dealing with customer gripes.
A report in the Wall Street Journal said the changes could delay some new models by up to six months.
Toyota has recalled some 1.5 million cars in Japan and the US this year.
On Friday, authorities in China announced that Toyota would recall 20,000 cars due to a faulty rubber seal used to fix the windscreen.
Three of the company's executives are being investigated by Japanese prosecutors over claims they delayed a car recall that may have prevented a subsequent road accident that injured a couple and three young children.
Car manufacturers are increasingly trying to cut costs by using the same components across a range of models, but this has led to a rise in the number of recalls.
Toyota has built up a reputation for reliability in many world markets, a key contributor to its success as it looks to overtake General Motors as the world's biggest carmaker

Hawk20
ML350cdi Sport
E220cdi Estate Avantgarde (sold)
S class 320 cdi 2005 (sold)
post #79 of 93 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 08:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahappybanana
As I recall the RX-8 does not get that great gas milage from a Car and Driver review.
Speaking of the Rx-8, that car has become a nightmare for Mazda. An internal Mazda US dealer webcast recently made it’s way to the Internet. The webcast was supposed to address dealer concerns about lousy customer satisfaction scores for the Rx-8. This is Mazda's "answer" to the issue of customer complaints:

"Mazda is well-aware of the negative impact on the scores caused by the RX-8 surveys. They agreed with us that the situation had to be changed. And so, effective July 1st, RX-8 will be continued to be included in the survey, but the scores will no longer be included in the results."

Great policy. Ignore the people who've already paid their money, and concentrate on those whose money you haven't taken yet.

What were the customers complaining about? Minor inconveniences such as getting stranded because Rx-8 OEM batteries go bad in the cold. I know I'm drifting off topic, but doesn't it get cold in Japan? Is there something special about the US version of cold? Anyway, Rx-8 owners also whined about trivial matters such as chronically bad starters (Hey! At least the battery was working). Those owners who's cars actually started, complained about loud brakes. I guess that's why the cars come equipped with mega-watt stereos - so you don't have to hear the brakes. Then again, rolling boom boxes have been known to be hard on batteries. And of course, there's the 20 year old issue of flooding. Yes. That’s right. Here we are in 2006, and there are still cars that "flood". Flooding means something "special" with a rotary though. It means the engine has no compression. Rather than going into the inner working of Mazda's rotary, let me just explain how a rotary can be "flooded". Start the car, move it out of the garage, and turn it off. The next time you go to move the car, it won't start. It'll crank all day, but it won't start. Like a 60's era Jag, the car must be warmed up before shutting it down.

Of course, all of this all pales in comparison to the press release given earlier in the week. Mazda is recalling all 2004, 2005, and some 2006 Rx-8’s to perform an "engine vacuum test". Those that fail get a new engine. Why a recall? Engines in hot climates are prone to internal oil leaks. Oil which finds it's way down the exhaust and poisons the catalytic converters.

BTW, while Mazda was busy saying it was going to be company policy to ignore Rx-8 owner's customer satisfaction scores, the J.D. Power and Associates customer-satisfaction scores showed the RX-8 as Mazda's highest-scoring model.
post #80 of 93 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 10:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinny4290

OK pal here is the deal. If you drive Bimmer, the car is in control. If you drive Benz, you are in control.

To go further:
Bimmers (mostly) require your constant attention and yes, they do perform well. But you are not enjoying the ride, you are DRIVING.

With Benzes (mostly), it is the other way around.

For each their own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in