LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 93 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 10:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Don't mind? "Don't mind" must mean something different to you than it does to me. To me "don't mind" is just this side of "can't stand". I don't know anyone who earns a boatload of money and then "settles" for something they "don't mind". No one I know wants a "don't mind" house, a "don't mind" car, or heaven forbid - a "don't mind" date. Picture Monday morning at the office. You ask someone who went on a blind date, how it went. Their response is "I didn't mind". That's code for, I'd rather throw myself under a train than do THAT again. Everyone wants better than "don't mind". Imagine your kid coming home and making the big announcement, "Mom. Dad. I getting married to some girl I don't mind". "Don't mind cars" don't even register on the radar. Maybe it's a southern California thing, but everyone here wants the nicest car they can afford. And I can understand that. Here in So Cal we're stuck in mind numbing traffic for ten hours a week. The least we can do is be in a car we like. Compare it to going out to dinner. - Do I order something I don't mind putting in my mouth, or do I order something I want to eat?

OK. Enough of my ramblings. Back to whatever you were talking about before I went on the "don't mind" tangent.
A family friend of ours has a net worth of probably over $10 million. Guess what his daily driver is?..........A 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L.

But, his wife does drive a W220 S430.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 93 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Wink BMW inspiration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianml
I think the new LS was inspired a little by the 5-Series BMW, at least on the outside.
I haven't paid much attention to BMW because I think they are a poor excuse for a luxury car. I think a better argument could be made about them being a good sports car, especially the M series. I'd like to see a good head-to-head pitting those against the comparable AMGs.

However, I think you are a keen observer, and now that YOU have mentioned it, I'll certainly have a closer look.

Thanks,
M

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 08-03-2006 at 10:26 AM.
post #53 of 93 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 12:18 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 2006 SLK350
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to RacerCub68
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinny4290
So you're saying all Japanese cars are inferior and are nothing like the Germans?

That's not necessarily true.

There are prime examples like the Acura/Honda NSX, titled the best handling mid-engined rear wheel drive sports car in the world, how about the Subaru Impreza which pushed Audi's spot away in the WRC, Toyota Land Cruiser, known for it's true go anywhere ability and solidity (every third world country you see has some sort of Toyota truck in use, they're indestructable), Lexus again, the LS holding the title as the quietest car in the world, and the new one, the most technologically advanced car in the world, the Nissan/Datsun Z, a car that was built to perform just as well as a Porsche 911 but costs half as much, or Infiniti Q45, the first car to ever set the benchmark of a high-end luxury saloon to have a good balance between sport and luxury, or the Mazda RX8, the only car to actually utilize the rotary engine and mass produce it, bringing superb gas mileage without the cost of performance, Or how about the Nissan Skyline which can be critically claimed to be the best overall sports car in the world?

Those are just a couple examples of superior Japanese engineering.

So what it doesn't take as much "ingenuity" to build a car as good as the Germans? Why spend extra money to make things more complicated when less complication in a car is generally better (less to go wrong, easier to fix). If it works, and it works well, then hey...why spend extra money to buy something when there's something that's just as good, if not better, for half the price?

In reality, when you buy a Mercedes, it's an ego, or a status. It's just showing off how much money you have, or it's just saying: "ohh, I have a Mercedes Benz...." in all honesty, how is that not arrogant?

Why spend all that extra money when you can get something jsut as good if not better from the Japanese market?

That's sometimes what it mostly comes down to.
Actually, and having been in accidents in various makes of cars, I do not believe anyone surpases Mercedes when it comes to Safety. Sure a 30 MPH accident makes it look like your car is gone and the other person bearly scractched. However, when you open your door, you'll notice it does not even squeak or bind.

I bought my Mercedes SLK because of the safety, and security of having a convertable roof that won't be sliced up for a CD on the seat. Ego did not factor into it. After all, I've been driving a Fiero GT for the past 15 years.

Thanks,
Byron.

"Life is too short to live in funeral acceptable colors."

'06 SLK350 - Mars Red /Ash - 6-Speed
317, 318, 319, 323, 326, 328, 608, 6CD, iPod, Locks, Nets, Rear Spoiler & Skirt, Windscreen, Illuminated Sills.
post #54 of 93 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 07:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Looks like they read our minds.

http://www.mbusa.com/microsite/leadership.do

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #55 of 93 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 07:58 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
I haven't paid much attention to BMW because I think they are a poor excuse for a luxury car. I think a better argument could be made about them being a good sports car, especially the M series. I'd like to see a good head-to-head pitting those against the comparable AMGs.

However, I think you are a keen observer, and now that YOU have mentioned it, I'll certainly have a closer look.

Thanks,
M

The BMW 7-Series is pretty damn luxurious.
post #56 of 93 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 08:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
The BMW 7-Series is pretty damn luxurious.
Sooooo many buttons and a little complicated. I really liked the previous gen 7-Series.

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #57 of 93 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 08:06 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerCub68
Actually, and having been in accidents in various makes of cars, I do not believe anyone surpases Mercedes when it comes to Safety. Sure a 30 MPH accident makes it look like your car is gone and the other person bearly scractched. However, when you open your door, you'll notice it does not even squeak or bind.

I bought my Mercedes SLK because of the safety, and security of having a convertable roof that won't be sliced up for a CD on the seat. Ego did not factor into it. After all, I've been driving a Fiero GT for the past 15 years.
I wasn't saying the ego factor for everyone.

Also, I didn't see Mercedes introduce the "Lane departure warning system, I saw Infiniti introduce that one.

I also didn't see Mercedes introduce the SUV anti-roll over protection system, I saw Volvo introduce that one.

Nor did I see Mercedes invent the seatbelt or introduce the side impact airbag, I saw Volvo invent/introduce those too.

So there are some companies who have surpassed Mercedes in some aspects in terms of occupant saftey.
post #58 of 93 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 08:06 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianml
Sooooo many buttons and a little complicated. I really liked the previous gen 7-Series.
Yea, the E38 is a good car.

Actually, for the E65/E66, you mean too little buttons, too complicated central computer ;-)
post #59 of 93 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 08:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I wasn't saying the ego factor for everyone.

Also, I didn't see Mercedes introduce the "Lane departure warning system, I saw Infiniti introduce that one.

I also didn't see Mercedes introduce the SUV anti-roll over protection system, I saw Volvo introduce that one.

Nor did I see Mercedes invent the seatbelt or introduce the side impact airbag, I saw Volvo invent/introduce those too.

So there are some companies who have surpassed Mercedes in some aspects in terms of occupant saftey.
I though MB invented, or at least pioneered the side curtain airbag.

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #60 of 93 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 08:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Yea, the E38 is a good car.

Actually, for the E65/E66, you mean too little buttons, too complicated central computer ;-)
Too many actually, and they're basically useles. Have you tried adjusted the seats in that thing? Ugh.

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in