Mercedes Competition from BMW - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 04:06 PM
deutsche280

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Mercedes Competition from BMW

hey recently mercedes has been producing many new vehicls such as CLS and R class, how does its BMW competition stack up against it, for example BMW has come out with the new 6 series, so I was wondering if they will come out with a redesigned 8-series, basically since mercedes has so many more models to compete with BMW, if u have any info on the new 8-series let me no, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 05:55 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsche280
hey recently mercedes has been producing many new vehicls such as CLS and R class, how does its BMW competition stack up against it, for example BMW has come out with the new 6 series, so I was wondering if they will come out with a redesigned 8-series, basically since mercedes has so many more models to compete with BMW, if u have any info on the new 8-series let me no, thanks
Here's the secret. It will be just as pig-ugly as the 6 series. But unlike the 6 series they may make it big enough for two humans in the back seats. Real BMW innovation!.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 08:13 PM
deutsche280

BMW always has inovaitions before Mercedes, for example in 1998 they were the first to produce the navigation system in the 7 series, mercedes s class of 1998 had (dare I say it) NONE, but both are excellent driving machines
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 08:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Everything comes with the price. That in hard dollars and that in quality and reliability.
BMW appeals more to "performance" drivers, where reliability is secondary issue.
Their new gadgets often malfunction, but somebody has to star new trends.
I used to own 750 years ago. That car was lemon and I even run into hate site on it, where owners posted experience how malfunctioning door switch was putting transmission into limp mode.
Never have heard that one in MB
I think that MB corporation is much, much bigger, than BMW.
Have never hear about BMW military vehicles, when MB is everywhere.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 09:17 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
BMWs are actually better high-performance vehicles than most Mercedes (but the CLS55 is absolutely stunning).

But within the past decade, after Mercedes has had a huge fall in quality, I think they were too busy getting rich and focusing on BS marketing at the cost of the true quality of their cars. Because we all know, people who are loyal to Mercedes will always buy a Mercedes, and people who are new to Mercedes, will buy to Mercedes just because, it's a Mercedes-Benz and I think the company took advantage of that and used their name to cut corners by using cheaper methods of manufacturing their cars and cheaper materials, thus again, leading to their fall in quality and everyone was noticing.

The difference is, that BMW was notorious for having badly designed electronics, but when they work, they work like a really good dream.

But in reality, all Germans, or all Europeans for that matter are known notoriously for electonic problems. Jaguars, BMWs, Volkswagens, even Mercedes in recent years.

But again, the difference I see is that BMW kept trying to make their cars good with good effort, where as Mercedes was just stupid and decided to cut corners.

BMW has alot of cars to compete with Mercedes.

There's the 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, Z, X5, X3 series.

1-Series competes with A-Class

3-Series mainly competes with C-Class and CLK Class (3-series coupes and convertibles)

5-Series competes with E-Class and CLS Class

6-Series competes with CL-Class and SL Class (6-Series Convertibles)

7-Series competes with S-Class

The Z4 competes with the SLK

The X3 and X5 compete with the ML, and the GL I think

So, there's not really that much left out.

Last edited by chinny4290; 07-30-2006 at 09:23 PM.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 09:36 PM
deutsche280

ok u know how mercedes has AMG versions of all its models, howcome BMW doesnt have M versions of all its cars, to compete with AMG models, for example there is no M7, or M8, or a new 8-series for that matter (they have M3, M5, M6)
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 09:48 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: '94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
Quote:
ok u know how mercedes has AMG versions of all its models, howcome BMW doesnt have M versions of all its cars, to compete with AMG models, for example there is no M7, or M8, or a new 8-series for that matter (they have M3, M5, M6)

Dude, think about it. For Mercedes, they just slap a powerful engine in an S-Class or a CL (focusing on the 65 versions) so they can hold the title of "most powerful production car in the world." All of Europe is in a car power struggle: the Bugatti Veyron, the Mercedes 65 AMG cars, etc.

BMW's goal is to have a balance of power and responsiveness and cornering ability without any sacrifice. They just don't slap an engine into a 5-series and call it an M5. They go through chassis workouts, engine workouts, suspension, aerodynamics, technology. Sure, Mercedes AMG does it, but not as extensively as BMW.

And why there's no M7 to fit the E65/E66 7-Series, the car's a bloody tank. It's huge and too heavy to follow with BMWs tradition of balance that I mentioned in the paragraph above. The laws of physics just don't allow for such a heavy and big car to perform like a super car, just like they've gotten the smaller E60 5-Series to do.

And there was an M8. At the time the E31, the 850CSi was fully tuned and modified by the M-Division. I don't know why they called it an 850CSi rather than an M8 (I know a shit load about E31s since they are my dream cars, let alone BMWs and Mercedes since I like them both alot). If you look on registration cards for Euro 850CSi's, it will say M8 instead of 850CSi.

The reason why there's no new 8-series, is because it wasn't that hot of a car when it was first introduced. Firstly, there was really never much of a market for the car, it was often deemed overpriced, too heavy, the electronics were rubbish (if you left the car sitting for 3 weeks or more, the battery would die and take all the electronics with it) and underpowered. So it wasn't really that successful, but it's a great classic and is a very desirable collectible and the ecar was way ahead of it's time and still was with the technology in it.

Today, there really isn't much of a market for the 8 still, and people would still remember the 8 the way it was when it first came out so bringing it back would be really really hard, unless it was so good, that, it was amazing.

The reason why they stopped the 6-Series after the E24, was because they were replacing it with the E31 8-Series, which was produced from 1989 to 1998.

Last edited by chinny4290; 07-30-2006 at 09:51 PM.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 09:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
BMW always has inovaitions before Mercedes, for example in 1998 they were the first to produce the navigation system in the 7 series, mercedes s class of 1998 had (dare I say it) NONE, but both are excellent driving machines
Actually the S-Class was the first with satellite navigation. And what about the innovations in the S-Class. They set a very important precedent for ALL of the cars today.

Some of the innovations are listed here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eUygOeXfu...Gear%20S-Class

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 09:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: W-1-2-3 Go!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinny4290
BMW has alot of cars to compete with Mercedes.

There's the 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, Z, X5, X3 series.

1-Series competes with A-Class

3-Series mainly competes with C-Class and CLK Class (3-series coupes and convertibles)

5-Series competes with E-Class and CLS Class

6-Series competes with CL-Class and SL Class (6-Series Convertibles)

7-Series competes with S-Class

The Z4 competes with the SLK

The X3 and X5 compete with the ML, and the GL I think

So, there's not really that much left out.
I thought the:

1 competed with the B,
6 with the CLK coupe/conv,
8 competed with the 126C,
X3 with the coming MLK,
X5 with the ML,
old Z8 with the old SL.

Last edited by MBeige; 07-30-2006 at 10:02 PM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 10:00 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Yea, he was somewhat wrong about Mercedes and innovations.

The S-Class was the first car ever to introduce 3-point seatbelts, airbags (Volvo had the idea and perfected it, but after Benz), crumple zones, traction control in a car, ABS in a car, side impact airbags in a car etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in