post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 1999 c 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry bolts

Had a question....how in the world am I going to remove a bolt that has been stripped off, off of of my spare tire? Someone else accidentally attached the spare tire with athe longer bolt rather than the short one and now it is scraping the inside of my break. The bolt is stripped and no tire place can get it off because it is inside the hub....HELP!!!!! Has this ever happened to anyone? It is only one bolt, the other four are the correct short ones. What a mess!!!!!

Last edited by hschadt; 07-22-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 01:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Don't count on this but I don't see any other option than trying to open it by force, even up to the point that the bolt gets cut, if that happens, it should be possible to get access to the other end of the bolt and get it out, either way (which car, if SBC brakes, take care of switching SBC off first).

There are a lot of reports from the same problem but I haven't heard that turning to a case where the bolt cannot be detached. I've had at a few broken when the dealers (yes the dealers, not the tyre companies, those as well as myself always use a torque wrench) overtighten the bolts. Here my experience has been that the bolt is still softer than the base and you could then apply force to remove the bolt, even to the point it gets broken, the bolt I hope.

Also of course better to check the possible damage from the "too long bolt".
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 09:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 1995 C220 elegance auto.
First jack up the car and support on an axle stands or blocks. Take off the other 4 bolts then using the wheel to lever against the remaining bolt uscrew the bolt slowly, with luck the thread will catch and unscrew.
If not you will may have to remove the tyre and cut the wheel off with an angle grinder, I hope it does not come to that, good luck.
Geo.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 1999 c 280
(Thread Starter)
Smile thanks!

Thank you so much for the info. and yes I did try that hoping that some thread on the bolt would catch...had no luck. I will take it to my mechanic in the am and see if he can get it off somehow. I really appreciate the response! I may try again later today...here's my real question...why if the bolt has been stripped of it's threads doesn't it just fall out? The physics here is too much for me to get my head around I do believe....oh well, just somethig to ponder....Take care!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 01:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Oh, I didn't consider the option that they had already tried force and the bolt had lost threads (is that the correct word?). I guess the brake parts have damaged the bolt to the extent that it would not come out. If one would have known this in advance, it would have been better to tighten the bolt till it brakes (for a spare tyre there would be no risk of damaging the wheel).

I've never tried but I guess the bolt is too hard to be drilled? If you could drill the top off, you would get the wheel off.

I cannot see how one could get an angle grinder reaching the bolt, perhaps a hack saw or a hacksaw blade (still too hard)? If you sacrifice the spacer wheel, then an angle grinder from the front would work.

An interesting problem, good luck and let us know how you solved it (since it often happens that people use too long bolts, the same problem might hit others).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in