post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 95 E320 (Sold!), 06 ML350, 03 S430, 00 Pontiac Formula WS6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
So what is it with these dealers....

I love Mercedes and in fact right now I have three of them parked in my driveway (one is for sale). But I don't get how our local dealer here in town (I live in NE Florida) can be so completely clueless. I've owned an Audi A6 in the past and many GM cars, and so far, I have to say my MB dealer experience has been the absolute worst I have ever experienced.

I had a pretty good experience buying an ML350 this past March, but I think that was due to single salesman whom has since left. My attempts to buy a used S from them were a joke and they literally were not interested in selling me a car (they had one I was interested in but I was told I couldn't drive it because it was dirty...). They didn't return calls and basically treated me poorly the few times I stopped by to look at cars they had for sale (e.g. saleswoman asks me to come by to look at a car, then is to busy to see me when I show up). What am I chopped liver?? I had real money to spend and everything... I finally found a car - somewhere else. And then there is their 'service' department...

Our ML is in new - in good shape and we love it, but after having it a few days, the bottom of the cushion on the passenger side seat somehow came undone. As a result, the front seat bottom cushion is sticking out about 4 inches in front. We took it in - they repaired lasted a half a day before it all came apart again. We scheduled a second appointment, told them that just clipping everything back together didn't seem to work so maybe they should just order a new seat bottom. They said they would. We said great - when can we bring it in. The appointment was this morning. I took it in - after the lazy uninterested kid in the service lane got around to writing up my service ticket, the service advisor asked me what was wrong. I told him about the seat and how we were here before. He replied - we might need parts. I said we talked about that when we made this appointment, you said you would get the parts. He says - okay - we can figure it out. I leave...the days goes on - we don't hear anything, so we call them in the afternoon to see how things are going - it's Friday - the loaner C is fine, but my wife wants her ML back. They tell us it's all done - you can come get your car. Wonderful news - My wife drive an hour across town in rush hour in her loaner and arrives to find the seat is in worse shape than before - sticking out even further and all torn apart. There is also dirt all over the steering wheel and seat (it seems the service lane kid doesn't like to wash his hands). She goes to the service advisor and asks what the deal is. He seems confused..comes out and looks at it and announces - oh - we need to order a new seat bottom (my wife reports while she was having this discussion, there was a woman at the service counter screaming at the clerk because she had been there for an hour trying to pick up her car and they could not find her keys!). So who knows...our car is still not wife is pissed but maybe the third time will be a charm.

So lets see - the sales department doesn't really want to sell cars - even to someone who already owns two of them - and the service department seems amazingly incapable of fixing a simple problem. And this is supposed to be a luxury car experience??? Well - all is not lost...other than the fact that I can share my story with anyone who cares to listen, I also have a plan B when it comes to service for my cars. You see, right near my house is a VW dealer that happens to gladly work on any and all German cars. Their service lot is filled with beemers, benzes and of course VWs and Audis. I've been taking my W124 there for routine service and they have been wonderful. I don't get a loaner and I wish they could do warranty work, but hopefully I won't need much of that (and the loaner's not that big a deal since they are not to far away and we have more cars than drivers). They actually appear to know what they are doing and also seem interested in having me as a customer. Not sure how others find their dealers...but the one here shouldn't be allowed to sell matchbox cars.

Now I feel better...thanks!

"From out of no where a Mercedes Benz; came cruising up and whipped right in"

Blake Shelton, "Some Beach"

Last edited by Tony_K; 07-22-2006 at 08:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec ........ R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
In "old days" German mechanics have been taking parts from cars, washing them and then inspect. They used to wash the engines, when they work on them and lubricate the whole car including door hinges.
In present times I needed new boot on my CV joint. The dealer "doesn't do" $25 boots, but "be happy" to replace whole axle for me for a cost (peanuts) of $1700.
It might take MB USA another decade to figure out why they have so many unhappy customers.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: