LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 87 560SEL SOLD: 95 SL600, 95/97 S600 coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
EBAY: Can it enforce its stated fraud policy?

I am starting this thread because I don't believe Ebay has any power to enforce their guarantees against fraud or even followup the major scams that are occuring every minute on that venue. Cars, computers, cameras, etc.

I think that there has to be a better way to police the scammers and have Ebay do immediate followups on the sellers of misrepresented vehicles, and prosecute them, otherwise that venue is going to completely lose credibility.

It has with me.
The best one can get out of this system is to locate a car that has possibilities, from which you have to personally inspect before considering any purchase.

Last edited by 560DBleu; 07-11-2006 at 02:04 PM. Reason: retitle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 02:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Let me think.
-I bought $80,000 motorhome on ebay
-I bought ML55 on ebay
-I bought/sold couple of hundreds of items on ebay, that would be impossible to buy, or sell locally. At least not for the prices I've got.
If you think ebay is the only place for unscrupulous seller -think again. The ML I bought wasn't as good as described, but still good for the money and I could walk away from transaction. I drove over 1 HR locally to see another, only to discover, that "clean car with almost new tires" had one tire with bold side and thousands of small scratches on the paint. After seeing lot of candy residues thru the window I didn't bother to wait for the owner to open it.

Than I am getting lot of scam letters when advertising my apartments for rent. I guess this is sign of the times?

Last edited by Kajtek1; 07-11-2006 at 02:25 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 03:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Send a message via AIM to battlecat714 Send a message via Yahoo to battlecat714
Quote:
Originally Posted by 560DBleu
I am starting this thread because I don't believe Ebay has any power to enforce their guarantees against fraud or even followup the major scams that are occuring every minute on that venue. Cars, computers, cameras, etc.

I think that there has to be a better way to police the scammers and have Ebay do immediate followups on the sellers of misrepresented vehicles, and prosecute them, otherwise that venue is going to completely lose credibility.

It has with me.
The best one can get out of this system is to locate a car that has possibilities, from which you have to personally inspect before considering any purchase.
it's all about personal choice on the decisions you make to purchase an item on ebay. If you know that ebay doesn't police hard enough, then you have to make the effort to ensure that the product that you're purchasing is true in any shape, way or form. Whether it means, like what kajtek1 said, going in person to see the item or contacting the person. If not, then don't use eBay.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 05:06 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: CarlosHokPO
I brought lots of stuffs on ebay for my cars and trucks
You really get what you paid for sometimes
there is no way ebay can enforce 100% of the time and takes too much time to prove the seller is selling fake stuffs. File this and that online to prove it and all
by the time all that time has passed the seller is long gone and use another email address to sign on to ebay
you just have to ask and review others feedbacks
Even their ebay paypal is not worth it if you are buying items under $100.00 since ebay charges you fees for filing claims and all them shipping and handling back and forth will eat up your $100.00 easily
Just use common sense and buyers beware
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
My advice is to NOT buy a Mercedes from EBay without seeing it in person.

One of my neighbors bought a nice CLK55 not long ago, and said he had several electrical problems - but overall, he seems satisfied. I can ask him for more details if you are interested.

I met another guy (chance encounter at a gas station with an ML430). He said MB replaced his engine because it used to much oil - that's a well known class action suit. Other than that, he seemed satisfied as well.

Like the other poster said, practice buyer beware, no matter what you buy, or where you buy it.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 07:59 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2001 SL500
I purchased several cars on eBay, but got burnt once. Drove to see the car to find scam. Great condition BMW appears to be total junk in undrivable condition, with tennis ball size holes in interior and all warning lights SRS, Brake, Check engine which just came up last night.

It happens more often on eBay, as well as on AutoTrader or Cars ourdays.
Check for feedback, talk to the seller and make personal judgement.
From old days of Ebay where you could have great delas daily, it become the platform for advertising, scam and uninformed buyer abuse.
Good deal still happens but scams are getting over 10% mark of all "good deal" transactions.

2001 SL500 Silver
Some dream to drive it, Some enjoy driving it
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 08:01 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2001 SL500
Don't forget that the most expensive car is the cheap Mercedes.

2001 SL500 Silver
Some dream to drive it, Some enjoy driving it
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 87 560SEL SOLD: 95 SL600, 95/97 S600 coupe
(Thread Starter)
Six out of seven of the cars I have bought on ebay were poorly or grossly misrepresented even after email correspondence asking if leaks of any kind were present.
One was completely undrivable in 'good condition'. 91 300ZX. $9,000 in repairs: entire AC, tranny, drive train, belts/hoses, injectors, tires, etc.
Second was totaled in my state and could not be retagged. 86 928. $3,000 in repairs. AC was shot.
Third was a 97 A8L. $1,500 in repairs
Fourth, my 87 560SEL. over $8,500 in repairs including rust, transmission, rear suspension, injectors.
Fifth, my 97 S600. Rear accumulators, gear box, $2,500 repair bills
Sixth, my 95 S600. Engine leaks, power steering leak, wiring harness. $10,000 in repairs.

not a happy camper. no relief from ebay after last purchase.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 09:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Six time burned -yet keeps on buying on ebay?
Sometimes it is good investment to order inspection before going for the car.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 10:18 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: CarlosHokPO
I never brought cars on ebay since I prefer to test drive the car and kick the tires first..........hee......hee.......

most of the time, those carfax is only good when the seller or previous owner report the problem. I usually do not trust them type reports.

another issue with vehicles online are some vehicles are savaged and sent to other States to obtain a new title claiming no accident reported since its up to the owner to fill them DMV forms and report if any.

Another heads up to watch out for are flooded vehicles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in