DaimlerChrysler wants to talk to Third Agers (55 to 70 year olds) - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jul 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
DaimlerChrysler wants to talk to Third Agers (55 to 70 year olds)

I'm a Stanford PhD student working with DaimlerChrysler's research group (http://www.dcrtna.com/index.html) on a project involving the emerging Third Age (roughly 55 to 70 year olds) user base. We're particularly interested in the attitudes and preferences of people in this demographic to consumption, lifestyle, risk, retirement, the internet, environmental concerns, driving habits and (especially) cars. The aim of the project is to better understand these customers and (hopefully) design vehicles that meet their needs.

The details:

I'm looking for people age 55-70 (maybe a bit younger) to interview in their homes (or elsewhere if need be) for about two hours. We would talk about lots of topics in a relatively informal way and a DaimlerChrysler employee from the research center or design studio might also join us for the interview. The information from the interview would only be used internally and your likeness and words would not be used for advertising or other marketing purposes. The only requirement is that you meet the age guidelines and are someone who buys or considers buying new cars. I'm looking for a diverse sample of interviewees, so any and all are welcome to respond. You don't have to be a car enthusiast.

I'm going to be doing this around the country (US) this summer. I will be targeting six (perhaps seven) regions: Northern California (Bay Area), Southern California (LA, Orange County, San Diego), Southwest (Dallas, Lubbock, Albuquerque), Midwest (Chicago, Milwaukee), New England (Boston, Worcester, Portsmouth), South (Atlanta, Savannah, Gainesville, Charleston), and perhaps the Philadelphia area.

There isn't currently any monetary incentive attached, but there will be some merchandise for participants. The primary incentive is to be able to participate in the development and design of the vehicles they use. Very few companies understand the needs of 'boomers' as they move into what used to be retirement age. The needs of 60-somethings today are very different than those of the previous generation and anything that can be done to improve products for them is worthwhile.

If you have any interest, or know anyone who would be interested please contact me here or at rmaurer@stanford.edu.

Ralph Maurer
PhD Candidate
Center for Work, Technology and Organization
Stanford University

Last edited by rmaurer; 07-04-2006 at 05:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 04:15 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 2005 C350, 2002 ML270CDI, 1969 230S, previously 2002 A160, 1985 380SEC ivory, 1983 380SEC grey
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Older users of automobiles

Hi from down under,
your project sounds interesting, although it seems unlikely you will be interviewing in my part of the world.
may I add my two cents worth - I recently purchased a C350 :-), and about the only thing I would like improved is the instrument (speedometer) readibility. My previous car was a W202 C240, which had the old style speedometer - large high contrast lettering!
I find the C350 instruments including the central multi function display, not easy to read, and very hard to read when wearing prescription polaroid sun glasses in the harsh South Australian summer (eg Sthn California conditions)
Good luck with your survey
David Murphy (dmurphy@krix.com.au)
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: