LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 10:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2002
Vehicle: ML320/C320 Sprt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy

those two stories really touched me which both my parents didn't have a chance to r ride Mercedes.

2000 ML320 Black Opal "SOLD"
2003 C320 Sport Sedan Bordeaux Red
1996 Honda Civic...
1991 Black Nissan Truck
2005 Honda CR-V EX AWD...New Add on to my Toys...
2012 Subaru Outback LIMITED
Trek, Full Suspension Mt. Bike
and a Dog, name Abby;-)
"Life is Short, Let's Enjoy It"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 02:20 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 500SEC, ML430, SLK230, S600
Those are very touching stories. Thank you both for sharing them.

Not to derail the thread, but there was a very fitting advertisement released by Mercedes-Benz a couple of years ago, entitled Reincarnation. If you have QuickTime, it's still available from this site. For those of us with Mercedes that will always belong in our family, it's probably more powerful than the advertisers envisioned.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 07:11 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2006 MB S430, 2013 MB S350 Bluetec, 2012 E350 4 Matic, 2002 Jaguar XJ8 VDP
Corsica,
Thank you for sharing that video. It was an excellent tribute to what a Mercedes can be..I used to be one of the Mercedes Naysayers, quoting every single survey and magazine that would blast it..I would use numbers to justify not owning a Mercedes..

I never understood my dad's passion for a Mercedes...That is until I took the wheel of our S430. It is truly an amazing car, with a presence unlike any other. I pushed for this car because of the advanced safety features .

A few weeks ago I had to rush him to the hospital. He had started coughing up blood suddenly. I took him in the S430, roaring down I-93 at over 100 MPH. After my dad had been settled in one of the ER beds he said much to everyone's amusement:

"How about that Car? You were doing 100 MPH and I didn't even know it!!!"

That day I really understood what it meant to have a Mercedes Benz. I have a Lexus LS400 in the garage but I instantly went for the Mercedes. In retrospect, I did it because it was my best option to go fast and if god forbid anything went wrong, I'd have the Tele-Aid system to back me up.

JimB,
I'm sorry your parents never got the chance...I almost ran out of time. This time last year, things were really bad...That January my dad really tried to buy a S430 but couldn't do it..It was just too much money. He told me he felt it was his last shot to buy that car, and was really upset about it.

I started working in late August and decided then and there I was going to get it for him. I also needed a new car at the time but opted for a stripped Toyota Corolla so I could save all the money for the Benz..I hate the Corolla, but hey, at least my dad got his Mercedes.

I couldn't surprise him with the car, since the LS430 was titled to him. There was no way I could have afforded the S without the LS430 being traded in. He did seem stunned when I told me him my idea and that I wasn't taking no for an answer.

He sure seems happy with the car. It's a 4-matic, so it will make his life easier in the nasty Boston winters. For my sanity it also has Tele-Aid and Pre Safe. At least he'll be safe in the car.

Somehow I think this car is a keeper. It sits next to our 1992 Lexus LS400, which was the first "fancy" car that my dad bought himself for his 50th birthday. I had it repaired to brand new condition a few months ago for him. That car has immense sentimental value.

I think the Mercedes falls in the same league. I hope we will have happier memories in that car, and I suppose it's up to me to make sure it happens.

olivengco,
I can't imagine how tough it must be for you and your family without your dad. In some ways our parents live on in their children. It is up to us to make sure our parents are fondly remembered for their good deeds and raising great children.

I'm glad to see you've beautifully preserved your father's car. I'm sure he knew you would!

All the best!
Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in