LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Oil Change Questions... DIY

Had a look around the forums for a lot of questions I had, couldn't find most of them so here it goes...

I have a 2002 C230 Kompressor with 55k miles on it, and I'm located in central Pennsylvania, US.

I'm nearing 4.5k miles since service A and service B is in about 5.5k miles... I wanted to get my oil changed without the crazy labor fees.

1. I bought Mobile 1 5w30 extended performance... reading another post I noticed someone said 2000+ needs 0w40, should I be going back to the store to return the oil?

2. I've read a lot of posts all saying different mileages for changes... I drive fairly far to work so I will always hit my mileage before I hit a maximum time. I've read 13k, 10k, 6.5k, and 3k miles for changes, or should I just stick by my service schedule?

3. I've also read about FSS, but then I read that is only in Canada, and Europe... not in the US, is that correct?

4. I know someone that just ordered an oil filter wrench for an '01 Boxster, when trying to search for my wrench I noticed they're by make and all of them say Porsche, VW, Mercedes etc... so the one for the Porsche will fit my car?

Also, does anyone know how Service B compares to Service A price wise?

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 10:39 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2000 E55 AMG
1. 5.5 qts 0W40 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic.

2. 5K minimum - 7.5K maximum.

3. Incorrect.

4. I believe you have answered your own question.

* Average price for A service: $250 - $275.
Average price for B service: $450 - $475.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2006
(Thread Starter)
Thank you
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 02:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just had it out with my dealer, the car needs a "B" service and the quote was $495, Oil filter, wiper blade, cabin filters, rotate/ balance tires, check this and that and a four hour wait with an appointment. I asked about just an oil change and the reply was $100 and they would not reset the FSS. After discussing the matter with the service manager, they agreed to do the oil and reset the FSS.
It is a little strange that under all the free factory "B" service they made me pay for the balance and rotation. I have never had a "A" service free or otherwise. The previous "Bs" only had wiper blade, oil filter, inside air filter, and 5-40 or 50 synth.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 08:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
If you change you own oil, you might also consider resetting your FSS. MBs have oil quality sensors that, if working properly, will tell you when "it" thinks your oil is dirty enough to change. Otherwise, 5K is a nice round number and easy to remember. Also, be sure to use the special MB oil filter. I can't remember the precise differences, but have read that the paper filters are NOT recommended.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 09:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 1995 C220 elegance auto.
The fleece filters are recommended because of the extended oil change intervals now used with fully synthetic oils ; up to 16k mls ; the paper filters degrade over this period but are ok if you change your oil more regularly,say 6-10k mls.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Wink shandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy
The fleece filters are recommended because of the extended oil change intervals now used with fully synthetic oils ; up to 16k mls ; the paper filters degrade over this period but are ok if you change your oil more regularly,say 6-10k mls.
Thanks for the explanation!
M

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 11:46 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Quote:
please educate.

What is the difference between a MB filter and a fleece filter? Why is it better?
What is the price difference? Why should i use a fleece filter? do MB stock fleece filters?

My oil is changed every 2.5-3k miles. Oil used is shell double helix fully synth

any input very much welcome

thanks in advance
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 01:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Also I think fleece filters are not used on CDI engines, at least in Europe the CDI filter looks like an ordinary paper filter. Still the assyst feels that I can safely drive 28000 km (my experience, can be less but can be more too) before changing oil. I don't see why the built in sensor system would not ask me to change the oil if it was not good enough.

I'd be concerned about too frequent oil change too, as indicated by some posts the engine wear can be highest just after the oil change.

I'm not suggesting anybody to change their habits but myself I've had no problems when following the assyst guidance literally.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 07:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Don't trust the oil sensor too much. I did experiment and reset the FSS without changing the oil.
600 miles later the FSS still gave me 9300 miles to next service, what would make about 22,000 miles on the same oil .
So much for good selling pitch .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in