lettering - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
lettering

hey
im pretty new to mercades
and i was just wondering if anybody know what all the letters stand for
like CLK, SEL, SLK, E and so on
i already know that D is diesel

thanks

Ev
DiTomaso is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 09:15 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 05 E55/ 05 Yamaha R1
Location: austin, tx
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
c-coupe
e-fuel injection
d-diesel
k-short
L-long wheelbase
s-super
sl-sports light
t-touring (wagon)
w-standard wheelbase
z-sport model
v-long wheelbase
s-station wagon
a-convertible
r-roadster

There's most of em'
ravenr1 is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 09:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiTomaso
hey
im pretty new to mercades
and i was just wondering if anybody know what all the letters stand for
like CLK, SEL, SLK, E and so on
i already know that D is diesel

thanks

Ev
Welcome to the forum! And please ignore the list posted above by ravenr1. It is way off the mark for the most part. I believe you can find what you are looking for on MBUSA.com or mercedes-benz.com.
Attached Images
 

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 01:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
asianml's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 11,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Welcome to the forum! And please ignore the list posted above by ravenr1. It is way off the mark for the most part. I believe you can find what you are looking for on MBUSA.com or mercedes-benz.com.
Actually he's right. The first few are for the models like the E-Class, S-Class, etc.

The ones after those are the codenames after that like the the C350WZ is the C350, standard wheelbase, sport model.

So he's right.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

asianml is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 02:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianml
Actually he's right. The first few are for the models like the E-Class, S-Class, etc.

The ones after those are the codenames after that like the the C350WZ is the C350, standard wheelbase, sport model.

So he's right.
Problem is, that isn't what DiTomaso was asking for. That hardly explains CLK, SEL, SLK, E, S-class, etc. and so on... To use ravenr1's list, I am driving a station wagon! But we all know it is a big, beautiful, sedan!!

Do you have a URL that supports ravenr1's list? I have never seen most of those before, and I have been around here for quite some time.

Don't believe everything you think

Last edited by Jayhawk; 06-15-2006 at 02:10 PM.
Jayhawk is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 02:19 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 05 E55/ 05 Yamaha R1
Location: austin, tx
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that list is straight out of the 2006 Mercedes Benz Product & Technology book that sits on my desk. Under chapter 3, "model names and nomenclature"

This is a Mercedes Benz Educational book, So, I think it's right.
ravenr1 is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 02:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenr1
that list is straight out of the 2006 Mercedes Benz Product & Technology book that sits on my desk. Under chapter 3, "model names and nomenclature"

This is a Mercedes Benz Educational book, So, I think it's right.
It might be out of an MB book, and I don't question the correctness of those letters, but do you really think it is responsive to the question that DiTomaso asked. After all, I do not drive a station wagon...

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 02:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 2003 S430 Sport Edition
Location: Curacao, Netherlands Antilles
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Actually that list is right. The numbers after the letters (example: C180 - E320 - S500) Those numbers are the engine displacements and some will end with another set of letter like CDI or TDI. Some models has Kompressor written on them. TDI means Turbo Diesel Injectors. On the side panels you have the names of different editions such as Classic - Elegance or Avantgarde. Some does not have it.

Eddie
Curacao is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 03:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curacao
Actually that list is right. The numbers after the letters (example: C180 - E320 - S500) Those numbers are the engine displacements and some will end with another set of letter like CDI or TDI. Some models has Kompressor written on them. TDI means Turbo Diesel Injectors. On the side panels you have the names of different editions such as Classic - Elegance or Avantgarde. Some does not have it.

Eddie
So I do drive a station wagon!?

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 03:33 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 05 E55/ 05 Yamaha R1
Location: austin, tx
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jayhawk, no, you drive a "super". S500V "super/displacement/long wheelbase"
ravenr1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome