Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

SmartKey failure, 1999 C230

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ThomasT 
#1 ·
I insert my ignition key (electronic type, called "SmartKey" I think) on my 1999 C230 and the dashboard comes to life as always. I turn the key, nothing happens. This happened this morning with both my keys.

Two months ago this happened, but then mysteriously after an hour the problem went away.

I think somehow the car is not accepting the access code in the SmartKey,

What is the fix?

Thanks in advance!!

#2 ·
Perhaps the "C230" forum would have experience. Anyway, I remember a friend of mine working on a different MB-model where the problem was the mounting of the printed circuit board that holds all the electronics that talk with your key. If I remember right, the IR-signal is directed to the receiver via a mirror and when the circuit board gets bent, the signal would not reach the receiving component.

Just a wild guess for a starter.

#3 ·
Funny, my 89er doesnt have that problem, but then, I bought a car, not a computerised transporter. Based on the previous comment, one could add physical damage to.. dust, moisture, vibration, shock, heat and cold, as to why computors were not designed for a long, reliable automobile life. When one buys an MB, we tell them what we want/need, so why cant the manufacturers offer a manual model of each series, after all, dont most buyers buy for the looks, not to boast...hey man, I got 23 more computors in mine than yours.. Not only my seats, but also rear windows are manual. So far, trouble free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.