Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New to MB and have the following questions

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Michael Pillay 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

First hi and I'm very new to this community and MB. I just got a used ML55 and have the following questions....

How often do i need to change the air filter. any brand suggestions?
Do I use Amsoil syn 5w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 syn for engine oil...need to change the oil pretty soon...
Any good oil filter suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
:)

#5 ·
I recommend you change your air filter every 6,000miles.
And as for oil, I would probably recommend Mobile 1 because it is a decent brand plus it is easier to find compared to amsoil which you have to special order.
I would also recommend you use a OEM oil filter.

#6 ·
Aren't K&N filters, that filter less, so you can gain few extra HP, before you kill the engine prematurely?
The manual gives air filter change recommendations based on statistics.
Like everything in statistics it doesn't match real situation, so you have to evaluate on your own. Driving only on clean freeways I wouldn't worry about 30,000 on air filter.
While on dirt roads -1000 might be too long.
So coming to the point -expensive filters have vacuum indicators, that shows you stages of filter clogging, before turning red, what is signal to change the filter.
I have one of those on my Ford and bought another indicator for $17. When I will find some time -I'll install it on my Mercedes and if I find it easy, than on my wife Mercedes as well. With high filter prices $17 for gauge sounds like good investment.
All oils up to specifications can be used in the car. Amsoil supposable is good oil, but everybody I know is using Mobil 1.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm a little confused ...is the gauge and filter two seperate things and how do you install a gauge?

#8 · (Edited)
Getting a gauge for the filter is a little extreme. But Just follow the reccomended intervals.
As far as oil I always have used the Mobil 1 that MB advises. But I dont see why you couldnt use a oil that has the same rating as Mobil 1.

BTW is this Tom from nashville. If so this is David Enjoy the ML

#9 ·
K&n

I wouldn't trust the engine in my MB to a K&N filter. IMO, you trade real-world engine longevity for a hypothetical power increase that you will NEVER feel in a 4,000 lb. car. I used a K&N filter on a previous car but replaced it after seeing the fine "sand" that was all over the inside of my intake past the filter.

#12 ·
sstomcat, I suggest you go with Mobil 1 0W40 Synthetic. The FSS should tell you when to change the oil, which is typically around 10,000 miles.

#13 ·
asianml said:
sstomcat, I suggest you go with Mobil 1 0W40 Synthetic. The FSS should tell you when to change the oil, which is typically around 10,000 miles.
Agreed! Though I still change mine at 5k intervals. The oil is so clear I cannot tell the oil level on my dip stick after 68k miles.

#14 ·
Jayhawk said:
Agreed! Though I still change mine at 5k intervals. The oil is so clear I cannot tell the oil level on my dip stick after 68k miles.
And that my friend, is why we have the FSS (Flexible Service System).

#16 · (Edited)
OrangeTJ said:
I wouldn't trust the engine in my MB to a K&N filter. IMO, you trade real-world engine longevity for a hypothetical power increase that you will NEVER feel in a 4,000 lb. car. I used a K&N filter on a previous car but replaced it after seeing the fine "sand" that was all over the inside of my intake past the filter.
I was low on cash...kragen was near, dealer far...filter was dirty... replaced and to this day, no sand in intake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.