post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: Green '02 E320 Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Your take on ads from BMW and Audi

BMW and Audi/VW have some interesting radio and print ads here in America these days.

BMW promotes their status as an independent car maker, free to do what it knows is right, outright insulting Benz for bowing to its parent company and designing for "mainstream vanilla-ism". I have to agree with being mad at Benz, but I don't know enough about BMW engineering quality to support that position.

Audi is making the phrase "German engineering" desirable again by using it in all of their ads. There's even a (VW) radio ad with a "German WV engineer test driving the competitor's car" where he makes fun of it in a thick German accent. Yet, they keep it light by promoting their cars (VW) as fun cars. Is Audi doing the same?

What's your take on these ads? Are we Benz owners getting dragged through the mud yet again? Personally, I feel more exclusive since I *don't* hear and see Benz ads on radio and magazines. They don't need to advertise.

-
FireFox31
Getting my Benz back on the road one step at a time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 08:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
I’ve also heard the BMW ‘independent company’ ad. I took it more as BMW will focus on doing what it knows best – sport sedans, coupes, and roadsters - while DCAG continues to spread itself too thin trying to be all things to all car buyers. I have a friend with a 95 3 Series and it’s falling apart; my 300 SE, four years older, at least does not have stuff falling off like the Bimmer.

Audi wins my award for Most Improved automaker. I remember in the 80s when MB was at its best Audi was crap. Audi styling is bold and aggressive with out being Honda-like (are you paying attention, Stuttgart?) and the model line up is clean and simple, the way MB used to be. To the best of my knowledge Audis are well built and reliable.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: Green '02 E320 Wagon
(Thread Starter)
I was also turned off to Audi because every 80's and 90's VW that I knew had chronic problems and died very early deaths. I assumed Audi = VW = junk. But if they are better now, maybe I should respect the "rings". R32 seems like a monster and people say the AllRoad is a wagon to be reckoned with.

-
FireFox31
Getting my Benz back on the road one step at a time
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 10:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
All makers have better and worse models, or years.
I drove VW Jetta tdi for a year, when I had long commute to my project.
I liked the car for good performance on 90 HP engine, road handling and unbeatable economy. 10 airbags ! Just don't ask me to sit in the rear. The cargo space in VW wagon was full foot shorter, than in my MB wagon. It makes big difference if you can load a house door inside and close the hatch, or have the door open and all the fumes entering.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 02:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Audi has very much improved, but BMW?

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 10:07 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 1981 240D
Audi has improved?? Really? I thought they were still of very sketchy quality. I didn't buy a VW because of quality concerns and I just heard of Audi being of equal quality, but Audi meant you'd just spend more to buy it and keep it up.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 10:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
Considering the very poor quality of the cars 20 years ago, yes, Audi has improved. The electrical gremlins are gone, for example. I had a friend in college with an 84 5000 whose brake lights would stay on all the time and go off when the brakes were applied.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 12:08 AM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Mercedes Benz was a major car manufacturer long before BMW. Post WW2 BMW made mostly hand made low profit cars like the beautiful 507 sport or the 502 V8 Super with compressor (my friends dad had one). Otherwise there was the little Isetta which my friend and I managed to sink in our swimming pool. American Bob Lutz was involved with the developement of the BMW 2002 which became one of the first muscle cars by accident, because the original 1.6 L engine wouldn't pass U.S. emissions. The 2002 marked the beginning of BMW's growth. Auto Union which later became Audi was a union of four car makers symbolized with the four intertwined rings, Horch, Wanderer, DKW and later NSU. I remember the 60's DKW 2stroke cars. The 1930's racing cars of Auto Union were designed by Ferdinant Porsche. His great grandson Ferdinand Piech was in the Audi/NSU management from the mid 70's and instrumental in the developement of the Quattro. In the 90's he became CEO of Audi's owner, Volkswagen. In an interesting side note,: Since the Porsche Co. was privatized in the 70's, no family member is allowed to be involved in the management of the car maker. Teutone (aka Horst K)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in