Help...looking to purchase E-320 series model. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Help...looking to purchase E-320 series model.

Greetings everyone, I just came across this forum and what a great venue. There is wealth of info and very knowledgable people.

Please forgive me if this question has been asked before.

I have started my search for purchasing a late model MB. I have narrowed it down to the E-320 series for various reasons. Having said that, I have started my research on the 2004 & 2005 E-320 AWD Automatic Sedan models. Here are my questions:

1. Can you guys tell me which is a better model?
2. I have heard the quality of MB is coming back and has turned around in the last 2 years. Is that a true statement?
3. What is the story with the 2004 model & 'complimentary maintenance'? What is that all about and I think it has been discontinued starting with the 2005 models.

Basically, I am looking for your overall recommendations and advice. Also, I would be interested in knowing what I can expect to pay for a low-to-average mileage AWD E-320 auto sedan model and where to find it. If it helps, not that it is important but I am in the Washington, DC area (Northern Virginia). Thank-you in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 02:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
RE: Help...looking to purchase E-320 series model.

Hi, Deepster, and welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest you may be better off posting in the W211 forum, as that's the chassis for the cars you're asking about.

I own a W210 (2001 E320) and have been very happy with it. The 211 has had a few more problems but still are very good cars. (More bells and whistles equates to more things to go wrong.) MBZ is getting better all the time, but the 211 chassis was introduced right in the middle of their problems, so it was one of the ones that didn't live up to the rock-solid reputation MBZ had previously established. Again, it's still a very good car, one of the less troublesome models.

The 4-matics (AWD) are all okay, however note that if you plan on doing any mods the 4matic architecture will limit some of those, such as lowering and staggered wheel setups.

The Complimentary Maintenance program ran on all years until '05, basically it covered routine maintenance items (but not some things that wore out) for the term of the initial warranty (4 years, 50,000 miles).

As far as pricing, it's going to depend quite a bit on the car, it's options, mileage and condition, and whether you buy through a dealer with the StarMark MBZ warranty. A good general place to start is cars.com, you can sort by year, mileage, distance from you, etc. It will also let you see what the general asking-price market is in a region. In fact cars.com ultimately turned out to be the source that led me to the car I bought. I decided to go out of state, so I flew out, had it inspected and drove it back; I saved quite a bit of money since there's greater demand for MBZ's in my area.

Take care and enjoy the ride (when you get it!),
Greg
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 06:24 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 02 ML 320

In 05 also note they changed the engine from the old 3.2 liter V6 to the new 3.5 liter V6 which has some 50+ hp more along with a 7 speed transmission. The 05 E320 4matic wont have the new engine and wont have the new transmission. Depending on your budget I would suggest getting an 05 E350 the new engine/trany is a big improvement over the old. And depending on how long you want to keep the car and where you live I suggest if you don't need 4matic don't get it since it will be more expensive to fix once warranty goes out which is true for any 4wd car.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 06:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Actually, both were available as of late 05, the E320 with a 5 speed and the 350 with the 7-speed. (The E500 in 05 was only available with the 7-speed.)

Technically I seem to recall that the 350 was really an 06 that was released late in the 05 model year's run (and early for an 06 model). I couldn't find anything showing a true "2005" that was the 3.5L V6.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2006
(Thread Starter)

I appreciate your responses. Please keep them coming.

If I remember the 2003 was the first year with the new body design and all. Am I correct? If so, I have learned to stay from the first years model redesign from my past experience.

Do you have a recommendation for either 2004 or 2005 model year? What dates of production seem to have more problems? Also, I know it is a personal thing but what options are must have?

By the way, I do not plan on doing any mods and I just want to enjoy the MB experience. Also, I want to stay away from V8's due to high fuel consumpation unless you can convince me otherwise [;)].

Looking for your feedback......THANKS!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in