SSL
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: R107 300SL; 1990 500SL (R129);2001 R170 230SLK
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
RE: should mercedes raise its prices ?

OrangeMarlin,

It is not a story it is a fact. Engineers ran Daimler Benz and the engineers decided when the car was good enough to go to the market. The zenith ( and ultimately the nadir) of this approach was in the development of the W140 whose development costs hugely exceeded budget because the engineers wanted to improve and then perfect what they had. They the engineers knew what was best and that`s why as an example the W140 had no cupholders!

Yes the Japanese were beginning to frighten the Germans but the LS400 didn`t see the light of day until 1991/92 and by then DB was already making losses!

It was a crisis with a capital C and they took the decision to move away from heavily over-engineered products within a limited line up to well engineered products within an greatly expanded product range. They lost their nerve and over the next few years destroyed the very thing that made DB, the car manufacturer,great.

Whilst modern Benzes are well engineered they are not over engineered and the materials used from the guage of steel to the quality of glass, leather, woods and plastics are inferior to the materials used in the cars I referred to.

How could they be anything other? A W140 S600 would have cost you nearly £100,000 nearly fifteen years ago. A W221 S600 costs about the same today. Ask yourself why then go and compare the two. The difference in materials quality is like night and day. It is the same with all of the cars designed and built before 1996.

Sure, the modern cars have all the latest electronic and chip-driven gizmos but they lack that inherent deepseated sense of substance and integrity that marked out the entire DB range and which no amount of electronic wizardry is a substitute for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 03:29 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I will yield to your deeper knowledge on the topic.

I assume Benz could have "stayed the course" and built lower-volume, higher-priced heirloom-quality cars (like Rolls Royce?); but at the time that Benz quality was at its Zenith, was it fully reflected in pricing? Wasn't the Benz also known as the stalwart German taxicab? Could they have stayed the course and also remained accessible to many buyers?

Look what happened to Rolls, and Jaguar. Both sold out, and to differing extents, they are going mainstream Among the Germans, only Porsche has remained independent with a no-compromises dedication to engineering. You could add Ferrari to that list considering the global market. But those are niche cars.

Car makers do what they feel is necessary to survive. A change in direction will always disappoint the faithful; but the faithful may never know what might have happened had they NOT changed direction.

As someone new to Benz, I acknowledge the imperfections (interior materials are decidedly below Audi quality); but I remain impressed by the core vehicle -- drivetrain, suspension -- which are still top notch. And if you want a reminder of the "old days" Benz still makes several of the best cars in the world, if you have the money for them.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 07:07 AM
BenzWorld Member

Last night it occurred to me that the premium Mercedes Benz of yesteryear is now Maybach. Faced with the need to broaden their appeal, DB reached down-market with less expensive Mercedes Benz cars; and then to recapture past glory, they created Maybach. Trouble is, Maybach is a one-trick pony, and it is basically an unknown brand.

Volkswagen now has Bentley and Lamborghini.
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 01:50 PM
RBs
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 2001 S430

For you W140 enthusiasts...

Never saw a better deal...

http://cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&paId=131 969637&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumR esultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRI CE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&recnum=23&leadEx ists=true&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_3 [:D]
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 02:15 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1995 s500

Quote:
Andrew2004az - 4/17/2006 12:40 AM

I think the whole idea with the C class is to get young buyers like 16-24 year olds interested in Mercedes. And after driving a C230 loaner car around being in that age group I was impressed and I think it will be my next car. So after you get the 16-24 year olds in the C class Mercedes hopes the next car they will buy is the E class and after that move up to the S class. They want your first car to be a Mercedes and your last car to be a Mercedes.
Another thing to consider is not everyone who likes Mercedes wants a big car. I LOVE the S class. We had a loaner C for a couple weeks & my wife liked that better than the S. (The horror!) [:0] Her reason was it was smaller & "felt right" for her...

As far as raising their prices, they should raise them when the quality is much better. & if they DO decide to raise anyway, offer extended warranties with the new vehicle purchases.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 07:08 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '09 B200, '05 Smart
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
trimaster1 - 4/18/2006 4:15 PM

Another thing to consider is not everyone who likes Mercedes wants a big car. I LOVE the S class. We had a loaner C for a couple weeks & my wife liked that better than the S. (The horror!) [:0] Her reason was it was smaller & "felt right" for her...
Ditto my sister in law - they have an S and an ML - but she still prefers her 240
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 01:05 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK55 AMG

Its all because of MB's Ownership by the American company, Diamler Chrysler.(at least that what I think) The come of Diamler Chrysler to MB has shown us exquisite engineering development and unsurpassed style which personally exceeded my expectations of the potential new generation designs. However, along with that they have also brought more models with wider price ranges, the birth of Mercedes-Benz financial(solely to accommodate leasies), and the market saturation of select family oriented models like the w211. (which has made them commonplace in most suburban and metropolitan areas unfortunately taking away from the exclusivity of being a Mercedes-Benz owner.)[V]
Ooh well, I guess that’s the way of the competitive corporate business market... Innovate or die!

Like my Grandfather always said... "They don't make 'em like they used to!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in