LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 10:08 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 1987 300SL, 2000 E320 Wagon, 2003 SL500, 2009 SL55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mgardner2366
I am in the clothing business and Levi Strauss ( Levis ) did the same thing ... instead of refining and improving what was already a stellar product of the finest quality with excellent customer service, they cut corners in quality, added too many more models and fits that really fit no one very well, and they cut the color offerings in the best selling models, and most importantly cut customer service and made it very difficult to do business with them --- almost a identical to MBZ now --- the arrogance got the best of them and as a result, the apparel company has been suffering for the past 10 years or so ... sales drops, definite quality problems, bad deliveries, and most importantly lack fo respect for their customer -- the retailer. Now today, this year they are beginnig to rediscover the value of a customer .... MBZ quality is definitely suffering these days and the as a result the brand is only getting "cheaper". The 1-800 customer service at MBZ is embarrasing; the representatives have little knowledge of the cars and the warranties ! At my dealer the service is also beginning to suffer; the sales staff is very young and new to automobile sales and they have little knowledge of the cars .... it is difficult to buy a $50,000.00 automobile from someone who knows little about the car .... as I said, MBZ is just "cheapening" their valuable brand.

Last edited by mgardner2366; 04-22-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 11:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgardner2366
.... it is difficult to buy a $50,000.00 automobile from someone who knows little about the car .... as I said, MBZ is just "cheapening" their valuable brand.

Evidently you have no experience of buying $3/4 mil motorhome from salesman, who knows only tent-camping?
To my knowledge MB was making lot of models all the time. It is only lately, that more of them makes it to US market.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 12:03 PM
BenzWorld Member

You are correct Kajtek1, I have no experience "buying a $3/4 mil motorhome from salesman, who knows only tent-camping", and I personally would not make such a purchase from someone like that; only someone who knew about the product. At least in my 30 years of experience driving the MBZ brand of automobile, MBZ has not always made a lot of different models. As my memory recalls they have had a few different price point models, then offered different engines and upgrades, for example either leather or MB Tex interiors. Regardless, they have a new model every six months now, then they offer different versions of the same model all of the time --- "kind of like" they cannot make a decision. One of the reasons that MBZ was so popular other than the fine quality and prestige of ownership this fine quality offered, was the fact that they did not change the models very often so the longevity of your purchase was a real "value" .... now it is like buying a computer with MBZ -- new models and new variations all of the time.
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 01:58 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 03 ML500, 94 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianml
Gettins rid of the CLS is nearly impossbile now. It's way too popoular.
What I'm saying is the CLS is the same as the S klass
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 04:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I thing MB does what the market wants. The mentioned "value" was good for old MB owners, but not for new one. You can't tell our 8-years old ML from the one, that left showroom 6 months ago. Good for us, but the owner of new one might get upset.
Going back to the salesman, you can't demand them to fully know the product they are selling. Shall Ferrari salesman drive $600,000 car to his work?
How about coffins salesmen?
Try to do more tests. Go to the Dodge, or Ford pickup yard and ask salesmen few questions, like"
-what is the 55 to 65 MPH acceleration
- noise level at 70 MPH
- fuel consumption at idle
- clearance with full load
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:37 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2005
Send a message via AIM to markcedes
^^^i doubt theyll know it bieng ford and dodge have very big line-ups

Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:54 PM
BenzWorld Member

I respectifully do not agree .... yes, the Ferrari salesman in deed has to know his vehicle well, but that does not mean that he has to own one. I sell suits for a living, but I do not wear the suits that I sell -- but I sure know everything about the suits that I sell ... this is the only way that I can be successful. I also do not compare a commodity car like a Ford to a $50,000.00 plus MBZ ....
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 08:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Well... you failed to comment coffin salesman
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 10:24 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Well... you failed to comment coffin salesman
What would you like me to say Kajtek1 ? Regarding a Coffin salesman, it is obvious ... the answer is the same. If you are going to be successful selling anything, you have to know your product --- what you are selling. Such a simple principle, but so hard to teach people ... every year Fortune Magazine lists the top 100 professions in America and lists their salaries in several ways from the median salary to the lowest and highest for each profession including geographical differences. There is only one profession that is listed twice -- both number 1 and number 100 ... guess what it is ? You are either good or you are bad .... in relation to Mercedes, up until a few years ago --- before Lexus got a ground hold --- the Mercedes Benz salesman were highest "earners" in the auto industry .... based on the quality of the sales professional at the MBZ dealers that I have come in contact with recently, I would guess they are not the high "earners". However, I did meet one very fine sales professional and he is the person that I purchased my last MBZ from .... I think that we are getting off of the subject.

I see you are in the SF Bay Area ? Me too ...
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 12:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Yeah. I am in Orinda. If you see a vehicle with Polish name on license plate, it is going to be me, or my wife.
Coming to salesman knowledge about models, or articles he/she sales -we have to be realistic. Single MB is so complicated, that it takes several different technicians to diagnose it, or repair. Hard to compare it to wardrobe.
On mentioned motorhomes -some manufacturers when you buy from them will have you at their campground for 3 days just to walk you thru. How many salesmen would take it to answer just basic questions?
So Mercedes is a strong company. They have plants all over the World. Do you think they would satisfy whole World with 5 basic models?
Personally I think over the years they developed 2 different vehicles, that stand well above the competition. One was 300td series in 1978-1985 the other are Sprinters in last decade.
Maybe there is more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in