post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 1983 300SD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oil extractors anyone?

Anyone here using an oil extractor when they do their oil changes, gear lube changes etc?

If so, please post up what you're using and if you like it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 01:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
RE: Oil extractors anyone?

Hey, hubsocket.

Do a search and you'll find dozens, if not scores, of threads on the topic.

There's even a DIY in the publications on how to build your own.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 09:15 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1991 Mercedes 300E
Send a message via MSN to pyro_la

this is one of the worst tools you can use, i dont know y mb uses them, but they are no good. think about it, all that crap that is sitting at the bottom of the pan is now get getting sucked through the entire engine! ouch!!! that cant be good at all. spend the extra 10 min and do it the old fashoned way.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 10:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6

Quote:
pyro_la - 4/12/2006 11:15 AM

this is one of the worst tools you can use, i dont know y mb uses them, but they are no good. think about it, all that crap that is sitting at the bottom of the pan is now get getting sucked through the entire engine! ouch!!! that cant be good at all. spend the extra 10 min and do it the old fashoned way.
That's wrong. Do a search there are many threads that proves that oil extractors are the way to go.

Kirill
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 10:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Pyro, while I respect your opinion -- and also personally prefer to drain the oil the old-fashioned way (I did a drain-method pictorial DIY that's stickied in the 210 forum) -- here's a few points to ponder, all of which are restricted to MBZ vehicles.

1. There are tens of thousands of dealers, independents and DIY-ers who prefer vacuum extraction.

2. If vacuum extraction of engine oil was not approved by the company that designed, engineered and BUILT the engine in the first place, the dealers wouldn't do it, because it would void the warranty.

3. No one has been able to show any correlation between premature engine failure and the preferred method of oil change.

4. I can't remember if it was on this forum, but a member drained the oil from his V6 320 (can't recall if it was an ML or a sedan, not that it matters) and then stuck the extractor in. He claimed he extracted another 6-8 oz of oil. Now it could be he had the front end on ramps so the oil collected in the back of the pan, but either way it's pretty clear the extractor is getting virtually all of the oil out. Moreover, it reinforces the idea that the engine was designed with vacuum extraction in mind.

5. There are those of us who will never use the vacuum extractor because we hold to the idea that a long drain process allows some particles, impurities and other heavier junk (real or imagined!!) that have settled into the bottom of the pan to run/drip on out with the more rapid flow of oil that occurs through the open drain plug hole.

6. Proponents of vacuum extraction argue that not only is it a time saver, it precludes opening up the crankcase and exposing it to dust and dirt entering through the drain plug hole. Plus you'll never strip a drain plug bolt or have to worry about it leaking.

7. Drain-folk, like you and I, counter that removing that big plastic pan and letting the oil drain gives you a chance to conduct a visual inspection of areas usually hidden that might reveal the potential onset of other problems.

8. Vacuum extractors don't suck oil up through the whole engine; rather, they draw it up through a tube that extends clear down into the bottom of the sump. As the oil is extracted, all it touches is the inside of the tube.

9. MBZ dealers have been using the vacuum extraction method for a long, long, long time. Were there problems with it, they would have surely cropped up by now.

I think this pretty much summarizes of the varying viewpoints spread throughout the various forums. The concluding point being, neither way is "right" or "wrong": it's really a matter of personal preference. What's to be gained by castigating those who choose to follow a procedure that is approved by the company who built the car?

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 08:05 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1991 Mercedes 300E
Send a message via MSN to pyro_la

you have to remember it probably doesent harm the motor much when you pull all that crap sitting at the bottom of the pan through the entire engine (sarcasim) , but its common sence that draining it is better. also you have to remember dealers are in the business to make money, so keeping things fast and clean is top priority. but at the same time quality service is too. all im saying is crap from pan = bad for engine. a mokey can tell you that!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 08:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:

Gregs210
Very informative and thoughtfully constructed post as usual.

Drain, extract I tried both and to me it does not make a difference either way. Extracting is easier if I have to do it myself since I do not have the lift to get underneath the car. Crap from the bottom of the pan can be extracted adequately if you jiggle the tube to find 'pockets' once it starts making gurgling noises.

Think about drinking soda from a straw - personally, I never had any issues finishing the drink to the last drop unless if I were sitting in a fancy restaurant where excessive noise making is frowned upon or I was served with a straw that was too short for the glass.

When I have the mech change the oil for me, they drain since they have the car on the lift and they can drain the oil right into their oil disposal container.

I would say this - go with whichever method that works best for you with the tools/equipment you own. There is no need to beat each other's head to convince which method is better - leave that to the religious zealots.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in