post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 89 300E 4Matic.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Anti friction additives.

Any MB owner experimented with the newer ant-friction additives for oil in sump and boxes? Allegedly they coat and seal the metal surfaces at molecular level, and should last for 50K miles. The older graphite anti-friction Molys, I think left residues. If one gets less friction than from a good motor oil, and as a part of the hp is required to overcome the friction, doesnt it make sense. Cheaper than an AMG logo on the rear-end, and, if it works, will add horsepower, lower the fuel consumption and extend engine and box life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 07:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
RE: Anti friction additives.

Molybdenum is known as a molecular steels lubricant for about 200 years, but just like deck and fence sealers/protectant is neglected by most of the people.
There have been lot lies about oil additives.
Supposable Slick50 is based on Teflon, who do nothing to the steel and has no molybdenum in it. Graphite is good surface lubricant, but very likely will break lubricating coat under heavy load.
Years ago I was commuting 55 miles daily. The same route, the same speed (that was before CA rush hours started at 4 AM) and my gas mileage was steady withing 2 %. I added one of those additives at the time, that had molybdenum in it and after some break-in period my gas mileage raise by almost 8%.
Most of drivers are not in conditions to notice difference like it, but it does exist.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 03:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2004

The only products I've tried that work are:
http://www.techlinecoatings.com
I've used them on all kinds of surfaces and they do work. I use the DFL-1 POWERKOTE for most things, and WSX POWERKOTE for hard to deal with items. Worth their weight in gold... Everything I've used them on has lasted much longer, the most significant difference has been on rod/crank bearings and tranny thrust washers.

I've also used their thermal coatings with good luck, it didn't last long in the combustion chamber, but while it was there it made a huge difference.

As far as oil additives go, I can't say any actually work. All I can recommend is synthetic oil and change more often than recommemded.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 05:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2005

www.xadoshop.com does what it claims. after that treatment, I recommend using something from either lubegard or from pro-blend(their drag racing additives).
you might find these useful:
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8573&highlight=optimal
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5613&highlight=optimal
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5614&highlight=optimal

nenad

I'm not a bad christian, I'm a good atheist.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

Thanx for the linx nanad16. Interesting that somebody has done such a comprehensive comparison. A slight contradiction exists though. The testers best result was synthetic oil plus additives. His favoutie synthetic oil is Redline. The Redline website says its synthetic already contains additives and NOT to add more. Did you figure that one out. I think we are getting there, though I dont know if Redline etc are available in Europe. Anybody expert on European synthetics? The additives can be shipped from US. Makes much sense if we wish to preserve our older trusty pre computerized-transporter 3 star buggies, and get a little better consumption and or power.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 01:24 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
ThomasT - 3/30/2006 4:07 AM

Thanx for the linx nanad16. Interesting that somebody has done such a comprehensive comparison. A slight contradiction exists though. The testers best result was synthetic oil plus additives. His favoutie synthetic oil is Redline. The Redline website says its synthetic already contains additives and NOT to add more. Did you figure that one out. I think we are getting there, though I dont know if Redline etc are available in Europe. Anybody expert on European synthetics? The additives can be shipped from US. Makes much sense if we wish to preserve our older trusty pre computerized-transporter 3 star buggies, and get a little better consumption and or power.
those tests were performed by me. as for the redline and additives, the additives in oil are base stock oils which are essential for the oil to be stable, all automotive oils have them. the additives I listed are strictly supplemental, but they produce great results when used with high quality synthetics such as redline and amsoil.

nenad

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

Thanks update nenad. Next question, if I may... If one uses the synthetic oil, plus the additives, can one deduce that the oil-changes do not have to be so frequent? One additive manufacturer claims 50K miles is fine for his additive. Any ideas on this or experience, as to what would be a reasonable mileage to change synthetic oils plus additives. One person on a forum claims he didnt change his Datsun ordinary-oil for 120K miles without any deleterious effects. On the other hand, an aquaintance has a bimmer 530 with 220K kilos on the clock, and says his engine is as good as new, with regular oil, regular changes, no additives. He does admit though that in extreme cold starts, wear will be high, but hasnt bothered. He says interestingly that forums are great places for manufacturers to discreetly push products. I doubt you work for Redline PLUS the additive companies!! ??
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 01:34 PM
BenzWorld Member

I wish I worked for these companies, that way I would be compensated for praising them[:)]. as for the additives,some that treat the metal and not the oil claim to last for 50k miles or more, but I doubt thats true. the only metal treating additive I have used and got the results it claimed was XADO. their treatment doesnt only improve the gas mileage and engine output, but it also renews your engine by reconditioning the worn out parts(especially the rings).
the additives I have listed over at the club202 are oil treating additives, and only last for one oil change(they dont stick to metal).
yes, most of these treatments can increase oil change intervals, but always check your oil, when it becomes dark and smells like gasoline, its time to change.

nenad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in