Pls Help!!! Instrument Cluster Issues W202..Have Searched all Post here none answers my questions! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Afmoose23 Send a message via Yahoo to Afmoose23
(Thread Starter)
Pls Help!!! Instrument Cluster Issues W202..Have Searched all Post here none answers my questions!

[:(] Ok I recently bought a 1996 C220 with 11900 miles on it, top shape great price. The a frien of mine ownes a dealership and it was on his preowned lot he gave me 2000 off of the price because he does not mess with benz but he knows I do and he called me up, so I got it Dirt Cheap but the problem is that the cluster does not work.
The Mileage the clock and temp work fine... All of the lights come on at start, but all of the guages are dead!!! Even the orange light that tells me im out of gas shines. The tach needle kind of shakes a little bit all of the time but it thats it. I had a 1994 740il before and I had a simular issue pulled the cluster changed a Very small fuse and it worked fine. Does this cluster have a fuse? I think its getting some power to the needles other wise the tach wouldnt be moving. The guy i bought it from said it worked fine at first then stopped and would "just come on" at random times..Its a 3rd car for me but ive been driving it the past 3 weeks and it hasnt came to life yet! :-( The battery is a big one brand new but not original, some people i have read that the battery has to be just right voltage put out? im stumped I love this little car and want to keep it but i need to work out a few issues first. ANY IDEAS??? I would Greatly appreciate...This weekend I plan to remove the Bag and wheel and test the connections with test light. It seems to be a grounding issue does anyone have a wiring diagram for this year model or know where i can get one just for the cluster? I have checked the fuses underthe hood also....Tnks in advance This isnt my first Mbz but ive learned too hate them but its been 2 years since a benz headache so it was time !!!! J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 03:30 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 1983 Mercedes SL 500 V8 R107 Red with cream/mushroom leather :P
Same prob, any luck?

Hi

did you have any joy fixing your C-class needle issues? Sound exactly what I am experiencing.

Please email me at jb@honestcreative.com if you can help.

Regards - James
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 04:41 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 1995 C220 elegance auto.
This will give you some help in removing the instrument cluster, you do not always have to remove the steering wheel first.http://202tech.mkosonen.com/howtos.html.
Geo.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 07:28 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 1997 C280
Faulty gauges

Did you ever solve the problem...?

I'm having exactly the same problem. It happens intermittently. The rev counter needle vibrates and all the other gauges are dead.

Please let me know if you know how to solve this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 07:42 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Gents, you may be experiencing the same problem that struck the W220 S Class with instrument cluster failure, check out their forum and see.

Or read this. It may give you an idea as to the problem.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...luster+failure

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.

Last edited by eric242340; 12-13-2009 at 07:47 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 02:03 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the link mate, but mine seems to be a different problem.

The lights in the cluster work, as do the LED gauges, but the temp', fuel, speedo and rev counter gauges (dials) are dead. You can hear the rev counter gauge vibrating slightly and when you switch the ignition off, it will continue to vibrate for a few seconds after and then stop.

It is also intermittent and will work sometimes.

I have seen a few other posts with exactly the same problem, but no solutions as yet.

Thanks again,

Rob
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 01:10 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
How did you fix this? I have the same problem with a 1996 C220. Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afmoose23 View Post
[] Ok I recently bought a 1996 C220 with 11900 miles on it, top shape great price. The a frien of mine ownes a dealership and it was on his preowned lot he gave me 2000 off of the price because he does not mess with benz but he knows I do and he called me up, so I got it Dirt Cheap but the problem is that the cluster does not work.
The Mileage the clock and temp work fine... All of the lights come on at start, but all of the guages are dead!!! Even the orange light that tells me im out of gas shines. The tach needle kind of shakes a little bit all of the time but it thats it. I had a 1994 740il before and I had a simular issue pulled the cluster changed a Very small fuse and it worked fine. Does this cluster have a fuse? I think its getting some power to the needles other wise the tach wouldnt be moving. The guy i bought it from said it worked fine at first then stopped and would "just come on" at random times..Its a 3rd car for me but ive been driving it the past 3 weeks and it hasnt came to life yet! :-( The battery is a big one brand new but not original, some people i have read that the battery has to be just right voltage put out? im stumped I love this little car and want to keep it but i need to work out a few issues first. ANY IDEAS??? I would Greatly appreciate...This weekend I plan to remove the Bag and wheel and test the connections with test light. It seems to be a grounding issue does anyone have a wiring diagram for this year model or know where i can get one just for the cluster? I have checked the fuses underthe hood also....Tnks in advance This isnt my first Mbz but ive learned too hate them but its been 2 years since a benz headache so it was time !!!! J
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 01:51 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Still no clue

Mine is still not fixed. It went away for a week, but now it is back. Not as often, but still frequent. I'm thinking that there might be a bad connection, or corrosion, but I'm not going to take off my steering wheel (risk setting off the airbag) and remove the guage cluster on heresay. The symptoms are exactly the same for a few vehicles in MB forums I have read, which leads me to believe that there will be a specific problem and henceforth a solution.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 08:03 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, when I bought the car I called around and some places will remanufacture them for around 300$. This way you dont have to buy a new one, reprogram it, etc. One shop told me what they do is replace all the capacitors or something, that MB uses shitty capacitors so they short after a while since alternators always wear and tear and dont produce the same current which messes the cheapo capacitors up. Seems like remanufacturing is better than buying a new one since you get all new high grade capacitors.

This place quoted me the cheapest for 275$... but maybe it has gone up cus that was a few months ago.

C-Class Dashboard/Instrument Cluster

P.S. The airbag wont go off unless you shock it electrostatically. My problem is figuring out what size torx to use to unscrew it and where to get a torx thats long enough to fit in the hole but shot enough to not hit the dash behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcarl View Post
Mine is still not fixed. It went away for a week, but now it is back. Not as often, but still frequent. I'm thinking that there might be a bad connection, or corrosion, but I'm not going to take off my steering wheel (risk setting off the airbag) and remove the guage cluster on heresay. The symptoms are exactly the same for a few vehicles in MB forums I have read, which leads me to believe that there will be a specific problem and henceforth a solution.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 09:59 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

OK, so I grew a pair and decided to take out the instrument cluster and fix this myself.

Step one, I disconnected the battery. I'm told if you don't, you will have to hook your car up to a computer and clear the faults resulting from unplugging the cluster (ABS, SRS-Airbag, ASR, etc, etc). I didn't have to remove the steering wheel by the way, once unplugged the cluster will come out if you pull it towards the steering wheel and turn the wheel and the cluster together.

I replaced two blown bulbs (strange, but all the warning lights worked beforehand), and VERY CAREFULLY stripped the cluster, sprayed WD 40 on the dial spindles and connectors at the back and then rerasembled the cluster. I panicked the whole way through the ordeal I must tell you.

After all was connected, I reconnected the battery and gingerly started the car to admire my handiwork. Damn dials still didn't work, so now I was really pissed off. Switched of the car and slammed the door. BUT!!!!! The next day all was fine and it has been 3 weeks and the dials have been working ever since. I am hoping the darn thing is cured.

Cheers,

Rob

P.S. You might not have to strip the whole cluster like I did, maybe just take the cluster out (remember to disconnect the battery first) and spray the connectors on both ends (the car side and the cluster side). Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in