LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Mar 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
4matic transmission service

I'm a newbie here and haven't seen all the posts yet, however, just wondering if anyone has had transmission service, repair etc on a 4matic. I have a 1999 E-320 wagon with about 75k miles and would like to keep the car but worried about possible tranny problems down the road. I've been told the dealers won't rebuild, they will only replace. Apparantly the cost isn't pretty. Any other 4matic warning will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 07:45 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 89 300E 4Matic.
RE: 4matic transmission service

Havent yet hear of a single problem on the 4matic. One guy said beware, its gonna cost when it wears out. Sure it will, BUT...when is that, at a half a million miles?? The S had tranny problems, heavy car. My Rolls Royce 1977 Silver Shadow in Hong Kong had a new tranny every 100K miles, but that beast weighed many tons, and the box was a standard GM truck tranny.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 08:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6

Make sure you do tranny flush every 30-60K and it will last long time.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Mar 2006
(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the comments. It was the one part of the car I was concerned with, especially being a sealed unit. I am going to see if the aftermarket guys can do the tranny flush as I don't think one has been done as yet. I know there will be problems from time to time, but I didn't want $5000 plus repairs on a 6 year old car.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 09:48 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 2002 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML320

I hear the older 300e 4matics (early 90's) had some problems, but nothing on the newer ones. Getting the transmission fluid flushed and filter changed every 40k-60k miles is a must for any benz, sealed or not. At the very least, drain and drop the tranny pan and replace the filter. Better to remove the torque converter plug as well and drain that too, since the pan only has part of the total fluid. I think post-99 models are the ones without torque converters, so you might be ok. It's not too hard to do yourself if you are a little mechanically inclined, here is a link to DIY (with torque converter plug) at mercedes shop: http://www.*****************/Wikka/Trans7226Fluid. If you don't have torque converter plug, then you would need to flush the system. One way is having a shop use a machine, but I'm leery of that. Another is a DIY method where you attach a hose to the transmission cooling line and flush from there by draining two quarts, then adding, then repeat several times. There are a few write ups on this that you can find by searching this site or *****************.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 04:10 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2000 4Matic Estate E320S4 210.282
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What about the transfer case?

Nobody has addressed the transfer case fluid yet. I asked my dealer and service advisor was clueless. He asked a technician and was informed there is no drain plug on transfer case and the only way to replace fluid is to remove transfer case.[xx(]

I'm starting to think he was right. I've been looking into WIS and everything seems to indicate that.

Any thoughts anybody?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

It is very possible that the tech is right.

I had to get a transmission for a 99 ML 430.
A ZF built 722.6 unit. The first thing I noticed is that the drain plug from the torque converter is now removed from the improved design.

This sealed for life routine MB is dancing to is going to end up hurting a lot of people.

I had actually requested a fluid change and the dealer said I did not need one. 12,000 miles later the trans melted down.

If the transfer case can only be drained once it is removed there must be a hole to fill it up. Is it possible to access that fill hole and use a fluid vac to get the old fluid out?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 06:03 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 1991 300E 4matic, Porsche 930, BMW 3 series, 1992 300E
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Not sure about newer 4matic transfer case design. My 91 has a drain plug. However the front differential does not. Have to drop the pan on the differential to change the fluid.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: