LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Not sure what vehicle is best for me?

Hi and hello, this is my first post on the forum and was wondering if I could get some expert opinions on some Mercedes vehicles. I have been cosidering the S-class but the maintenace I uderstand is astronomical. My budget is the only factor limiting my decision other than the need for speed, dependability, and style. My price range for a vehicle is going to be up to $7,000. I would like to know how high the maintenance bill for the 94-96 S class with around 100,000 on the odometer is like. Please give me some much needed advice on vehicle as such. Also, my heart is not yet set on the s-class, so advice on other Mercedes vehicles not limited to just the s-class that will suite my needs and price range would be great. I enjoy driving fast so speed is a large factor and due to the college budget I also favor dependability more than the average person.
[:D]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 01:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
RE: Not sure what vehicle is best for me?

If you are looking for advice on the w140 s-class then yuo should post in that specific forum. The guys there will be able to help you alot with that one.

I own a w140 and am also at university. I will warn you now build into you price around 2k for repairs. If you can't come up with this cash or don't have support from your family for maintenance then dont buy one.

For example in the time I have owned my car here is what I have paid out in NZ$:

Service (fluid change etc): 300
Two new tyres to fit my 18s 780
Water pump replacement 700
Gearbox rebuild 2000 (OUCH)

Thats not including needing a new regulator in my front power window, one door with a closing assist issue and the need for a new areial mast all of which I will deal with later when I have or can score some cash of the family.

Mind you the gearbox is not that common to go bad (just my luck) and the needing of new tyres will be less for standard wheel size.

The most important thing is to make sure the car you buy is clean. I got mine gone over by two different places before I handed over the cash and I still got burnt. But once I get these problems ironed out all will be well.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 02:49 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

All MB's can be a maintenance nightmare.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 05:56 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 89 300E 4Matic.

Go for a smaller car, a 300E 1989, with the lowest mileage you can find. It is the last of the simple MBs. Not so small when you get in, or when you open (manually, of course) the trunk. Mine is trouble free. An Athens taxi driver told me recently, when I rode in his new 320E and discussed reliability, that he and two other owners drove their 1989 300E round the clock for 15 years, and knocked up 4 million kilometres. With the engine totally worn out, they scrapped the car. Maybe someone out there owned a third MB that they rarely used, so that would be the one. An 89 300E, 4 matic if you are in snowy drives, should have depreciated to much less than 7K by now! Value to you would be the equivalent of a 2 or 3 year old model, without the little monkey (central computor) pulling strings to twenty other little monkeys, (sub computors) all very sensitive to the heat and cold, vibration and shock, dust and moisture. Not a great environment for a team of temperamental monkeys in which to pull their strings.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 11:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)

S classes are not cheap to maintain. In your price range, a good w126 might be more reasonable. 190E's are nice and sporty.
Mike

Mike
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 02:30 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Agreed. The 126 has an awesome combination of grace and solidity. Otherwise go smaller. Save some extra $$$ for maintenance.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 02:46 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

124 is definitely your best overall choice.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 03:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

Here's your next car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/300-CLASS-300E-2-8L-I6-50-PICS-ALLBOOKS-REAL-MILES-EXC_W0QQitemZ4625531834QQcategoryZ6330QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 06:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 85 300SL Euro,97 SL320,95 S420,07 S550
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Buy a Kia!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 11:24 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 89 300E 4Matic.

Flyboyike. Isnt that the Boeing 757 that was flown by a pilot who couldnt solo a cessna 170, that did a 270 degrees descending turn, at near 500mph, flew 2 feet above the lawn, smacked through a ten foot hole it made with the half ton of high explosives that all airliners carry in the weather radar nosecone, (only you and I knowz this, we iz/waz flyboys!!)wacked thru several walls of re-inforced concrete, but left no marks on the upper floors or to the sides of the round hole in this many sided building, then vaporized almost the lot, at 3000 deg C, then gave up 120 human DNAs that are normally destroyed at 100 degrees C, then had one wing casually taken away, covered in a blue tarp, on the shoulders of a few gentleman, then had no evidence as within minutes of this easy flight, all data from security cameras from the Hilton and the gas station were seized so that bad guys coudnt do this again. Yeah, that's it, but DONT ask questions, not patriotic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in