Positive comments on longevity and quality of your 96-06 Benz - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: Green '02 E320 Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Positive comments on longevity and quality of your 96-06 Benz

Maybe I'm not the only one who is discouraged by the frequent citation of quality faults in the Mercedes of the past 10 years. If you have positive comments about the quality and longevity of your car, then please post it here. Maybe satisfied customers had no reason to post due to lack of problems. Here's a more positive reason.

(hoping I'll have many positive posts regarding my E320, taking delivery in a few days)

-
FireFox31
Getting my Benz back on the road one step at a time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 11:28 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: Positive comments on longevity and quality of your 96-06 Benz

Well my 1990 300E is the most solid car I have ever owned.

I am on my second ML. If I hated the first one I would not have gotten another one. Both purchased new.

It had its share of issues, I had a good dealer and MB stood behind the product. At 124k miles it is still solid. I just did shocks on the rear. It just got its second set of front lower ball joints.

Really big issues MB handled. I got a new engine at 72k mile under a campaign. When the trans let loose at 112k MB bought the $6000 trans and I paid $660 labor for the install. Seemed more than fair.

A lot of the ownership experience seems to come down to the servicing dealer. If they are straight and have a good rapport with MBUSA a lot of support is there for the cars.
For example, the dealer I left had the service manager from Germany retire. He was in MB service for over 40 years. He had a hotline to MB and they trusted him. If he said this should be covered they did cover it. When he retired the new SM and his crew were worthless. So I went to another dealer and built a strong relationship where I get fair treatment. Case in point, during the ball joint repair the wheel speed sensor had gotten frozen in due to corrosion. It broke during removal. The SM had the tech clean up the corrosion and get a new one ($88) and put it in at no charge to me.

I used to live in Tenafly long before I owned Benzes. So I can't tell you who is good, but there are a lot of members from NJ and they can help guide you to a good servicing dealer.

These cars are far from flawless, but the driving dynamics, the safety and styling still make them at the top of my list regardless of what the press says about reliability. That being said I think the E class is one of the higher quality built models and will make you happy. If you plan to keep it more than the factory warranty then I would suggest the MB extended warranty that suits your situation for length of ownership and expected mileage before moving on to another car.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 09:25 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: None

Congrats, FireFox on the new car - you must be very excited.

However, you should have asked that question before you even commited to take delivery of one.

There are a lot of people happy with their newer MB's, but there are dissapointed ones.

I, too like you, have concerns about the newers ones - that's why I still drive my older ones.

Enjoy your new car and post some pics when you get it.

T

1990 560SEL - W126
-929 nautical blue metallic & 262 navy blue leather
-58,000 KM (36,200 Miles)
-Euro spec Japanese import (KAT edition)
-Complete service history since new
-5,546cc SOHC 16v V8
-10.0:1 compression
-285 hp@5200 rpm, 324 lb/ft@3750 rpm
-2.65 limited slip diff
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 10:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I love my W220! It has been all that I hopped for and more. I had a lot of problems w/ my first MB (a 1970 280SL), but loved it too. It was beautiful, but had many more problems than my current S500. I don't know why there is this image of older MBs being more reliable than those in recent years. It is a bogus image, in my experience.

My theory is that when people pay a lot for a car they have unrealistically high expectations, and w/ the advent of the Internet they have a lot more forums (like this one) on which to bitch. Therefore, there is a false perception that newer models are worse than older ones, and nothing could be further from the truth, IMO.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44_1825346_3152006124255PM.jpg (44.9 KB, 46 views)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 01:49 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 2010 C300 Sport

I have only been an owner for about 6 months, but I feel these cars are fairly solid. I purchased an 05 pre-owned, and have had minimal problems. The biggest issue I see with these cars is the cost of simple non-warranty items such as brakes, and oil changes.
I also agree with the fact that your owning experience has a lot to do with the dealership you use for service. I use one in New York that is very accomodating.
I think you'll be satisfied with your purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in