LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2000 E3engine shake

I recently bought a mercedez 2000 E320 which has 78k from my sister... i know that she has driven that clean without any accident nor my sister is to chicken to race on this or etc....

Car is great. quiet, shiny, drives smooth... love this car.....

however, i just noticed when i stepped on the gas and the RPM goes over 42 or like 45 while car is parked car start shaking....

whole car start to shake like if there is 8.0 earth quake (from San francisco =)

it does not happen when i actually drive or maybe i am not noticing that however, i am very very concern that this might cost me fortune.....

I should not have bought it when i could not afford it but it was a beatiful car.....

car has clean title and i know the owner of the veh... my sister... what is going on?

Dear friends.. Please advise....

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: 2000 E3engine shake

There are many things that can cause this but I'll hit on the most likely things.

The 320 engines are notorious for harmonic balancer failure. Separation of the Harmonic balancer pulley could cause this to happen. Also, cylinder misfire could cause it as well. Cylinder misfires typically trigger the check engine light on most cars and I would think that would be the case here. When you are driving the car, your RPM's is usually around 2500 at cruising speed. This could be why you're not noticing the vibration or shaking while driving. Since I detected a mild vibration at cruising before my Harmonic balancer failed, I would drive it again and pay close attention to it on a smooth highway.

Harmonic balancers have a open recall/ service campaign by MB and I would check into it.

There could be other issues that could cause this as well and there are professional mechanics who are members of this forum that may have another idea.

Good luck and welcome to Benzworld!

[:D]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2006
(Thread Starter)

Thank you for your reply.

Hopefully it is the harmonic balancers failure. Since I do not have any failure showing on the sensor, I guess it is not cylinder misfire as you quote
Since mercedez is a very quite car, so when I raise the rpm up to 4000, I really do not have any shake at all; nevertheless, once it goes over, the shake is noticeable like if it is an big earth quake. Hopefully it is the harmonic balancers failure since it has an open recall. Thank you for your advise and if other have second opinion, please advise. Thank you…. This is awesome site… and awesome people!!!!!!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 03:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Chris, welcome to the forum.

I think cmitch might be on the right track. Here's a thread discussing the HB recall, you'll have to go back to page 1 to see the initial post. You can check your HB part number to see if it's included.

http://forums.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1212149

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 04:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004

Rev limiter (in order to stop you from over revving and destroying your engine), as far as i know all M112 engines (240, 280 & 320) behave in this manner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in