LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i (Sold) 2008 C250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How much would you be willing to pay at the dealers?

Car mechanics charge more than lawyers

17.02.06 4.20pm

LONDON - Getting a car serviced in Britain has become so expensive that many drivers are paying their mechanics more per hour than a doctor or lawyer earns, according to a survey.

An investigation by a motoring magazine found consumers were often paying more than 100 pounds per hour for labour rates at franchised dealers.

In contrast, a locum doctor would charge up to 500 pounds a day while a junior lawyer might invoice for as little as 30 pounds an hour.

"Consumers could save hundreds of pounds if they shopped around and did their research. Quite simply, dealership labour rates for repair bills are just too high," said What Car?'s Steve Fowler.

The magazine's group editor said his researchers discovered that advances in technology have turned once simple tasks, in the past often undertaken by many owners, into fiddly, time-consuming jobs.

Replacing a main-beam bulb on an Audi A2 model for example can cost as much as 66 pounds ($170) -- with the bulb costing just 3.96 pounds ($10).

The What Car? survey revealed there were wide regional variations although the capital was consistently the most expensive.

Motorists feeling the pinch should consider using non-franchised dealers and consider travelling further to get a better deal.

"One option I will be considering is to book my car in at the cheapest garage, even if I have to travel to it -- the savings I can make will pay for a night in a hotel and a decent meal," Fowler said in a statement.

The magazine shopped around for quotes for a full service on a number of mainstream cars -- such as Audi, BMW, Citroen and Ford.

They discovered the widest gap was for a full service on an Audi A4 1.9 TDi. In Scotland it was 220 pounds compared with 440 pounds in London.

Why am I not suprised to see the difference in price between the dealer and independent mechanic is so great.

Would be interested in seeing what members in the UK where this article refers to think about this.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: