post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: '99 C43; '95 E320 Cab; '95 E320 Cab
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
S55 AMG '03 and Extended Warranty

Hello, I am considering buying an '03 S55. I have a '99 C43 that I bought new (which has been a great car with the exception of an engine replacement that MB had to do at 28k miles due to bad engine block. Crazy but true).

I searched this site for info on extended warranties and have a few questions.

The '03 S55 is still under warranty which will last up to 50K miles. The car is for sale from an MB dealer. It has about 20K left on the original factory warranty. I asked the dealer for a price on an extended "MB Warranty" that has the same kind of coverage as the original. I have a few questions that I am hoping someone may me able to help me with:

- If I am buying the car from an MB dealer, is there a warranty available from MB that will take it out to 100K miles i.e. a warranty that is through MB?

- Is there a warranty that will give me basically the same coverage as the original warranty (or better)?

- I was quoted $3900 from the dealer for a warranty that is a 5 year 100K mile warranty. This seems a bit high to me (relative to 3rd party ones, which I am not a huge fan of). Is this a reasonable price i.e. is this what one should normally expect to pay from an MB dealer for a 5 year 100k warranty for this kind of car?

- Is the extended warranty MB dealers sell from MB or really a 3rd party warranty?

- If it is a 3rd party one, is it relatively invisible/pain free for the customer i.e. you bring the car in to any MB dealer and they service it for things covered under it and they handle all the paperwork. Specifically I don't have to pay forst and then seek reimbursement from a 3rd party?

- Other: I have a friend who has an '03 S55 (lives in another state). He really likes the car but said the Navigation System accuracy is awful and the tire sensors on the S55 are constantly triggered.

- Any advice or experiences you have on either extended warranties or buying and '03 S55 is greatly apprecaited. (i.e. general advice on buying and owning an '03 S55 is welcome).

Thanks in advance for your responses and any advice you may have on this subject in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 03:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
RE: S55 AMG '03 and Extended Warranty

Quote:
- Other: I have a friend who has an '03 S55 (lives in another state). He really likes the car but said the Navigation System accuracy is awful and the tire sensors on the S55 are constantly triggered.
I have a friend who has an S430. The nav is not too bad, but he is right, the accuracy is on the bad side. Buuuutttt, it's a ton better than other nav systems I've seen.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

If they "Starmark" the car, it will add 4years and 50 K miles. It does no cover the car like a new car warranty, no dimming mirror, or radio, but pretty well everything else. If the car is in great shape I dont know why the dealer would not "starmark" it. $4000 is a lot to pay, my 01 E cost me $2700 one year after purchasing it for 4/50 MB coverage. I am not a fan of non MFR. warranty, got bitten before trying to get the warranty company and the dealer to agree. I would shop around, or put the $4000 in a CD and pay out of that account.
Dealers can sell MB or sell others, they probably make more money on others but the drill is the same get approoval from the other company. I purchased one from a CADDILLAC dealer on a brand new car, the outfit was broke when I needed it four years later. I have also had great results getting a manufacturers extended warranty on another used Caddy.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: '99 C43; '95 E320 Cab; '95 E320 Cab
(Thread Starter)

Peter:
First, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
I agree I think $3900 is a lot to pay for an extended warranty. I also agree I am not a fan of aftermarket warranties.
Interetingly enough they had a CL 55 which was same year, same color interior and exterior, approximate same mileage as the S55 and the CL 55 was "Starmarked (technically I am told MB doesn't "Startmark" anything any more, they call it "Certified pre-owned"....supposed to be the same thing....I don't know enough about this). I asked the dealer could they "Starmark/Certify Pre-own" the S55 and he said "Yes, but why would you want to do that since that gets you 5 years/100k miles but the 5 years is from date of manufacture when you could get an incremental 5 years (from today) and still cover up to 100K miles for basically the same price as "Starmark/CPO" (translated...if they Starmark/CPO and '03 it is valid to '08 vs. a separate extended warranty (from MB or a 3rd party) which would give me to 2011 and up to 100k. They are a large new car dealer and deal in many high end brands and he flat out said he was not the MB expert or the MB warranty expert.
I could call another MB dealer to find out more but would like to get input from this forum based on real world experience.
Again, thanks for your response.

Mark
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 07:30 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 06 CLK-350
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Viper66 Send a message via Yahoo to Viper66

Hi... Perhaps I can help regarding the warranty. I just recently purchased a new CLK-350, black on black, right out of the showroom floor! Sorry, I'm still excited about it. Only bad thing is that I drive about 20-k miles per year. So, I wanted a longer warranty for the car. After about a week of researching, I found this guy who had the best price in the States for a factory warranty, not an after-market one. I was originally quoted over $4,000 for the same coverage, but saved tons with this person. If you're interested, let me know and I'll get his number for you. Good luck on your new car!!!

Carpe Diem...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 08:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

AS I understand it, during the first year, MB will sell you a warranty thru MB honored by any MB dealer. This warranty will start when the origional warranty expires, 4/50 and extends it for another 4/50. You could end up getting 8/100 if everyting works. it covers 95 percent of the car (no brake pads) it covers the electronics but (no radio or CD) I have been told, yet it covers Tel-Aid, and I dont know about Command. It does cover wiper things like linkages, regulators, seat and roof drive cables, and closing assist.
This is the aka "Starmark" program but takes effect when the vehicle is purchased. It is a (zero deductible). I have not heard of anyone selling a MB warranty other than a MB new car dealer. My C,E,and M were priced $2550 for the premium, and the S,and Cl cere priced at $3500 plus tax and "Actual retailer price may vary" in small print.
1800FORMERCEDES for questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in