Help 2 install WIS/ASRA Star Diagnosis DVD manual - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
 
Teutone's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Location: Los Angeles / Hannover Germany
Posts: 33,556
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Help 2 install WIS/ASRA Star Diagnosis DVD manual

RE.: 2 DVD's manual, 02/2005 Mercedes Benz WIS/ASRA Star Diagnosis DVD System. I have not yet been able to install the program, and seem to be far from alone in having problems with it. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. Horst K from 126 forum
Teutone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
harley03joe's Avatar
 
Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 1996 S-500 white
Location: Hollywood Florida
Posts: 1,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
RE.: 2 DVD's manual, 02/2005 Mercedes Benz WIS/ASRA Star Diagnosis DVD System. I have not yet been able to install the program, and seem to be far from alone in having problems with it. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. Horst K from 126 forum
Ha Ha Ha I Have The Same Problem ,, Did You Ever Get It Installed ??
Let Me Know If You Did ,, And What You Had To Do To Get It Installed ,, Did You Buy Yours Off E-bay ?? Like I Did ?
Joe



96 M-B SL500 White/Beige
05 M-B S 500 Silver/Silver Gut<< SOLD
04 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail
05 Harley-Davidson V Nose Trailer Black/ Chrome
07 Hyundai Azera Limited Nice Car
2011 CADILLAC CTS PREMIUM COLLECTION, Silver / Silver GUT
harley03joe is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 12:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Diesel Benz's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Location: Europe
Posts: 10,322
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Who would want to use a 2005/02 version today? Is your question generic about WIS? Are you after DAS too, it gets a lot more complicated unless you buy the official "kit".
Diesel Benz is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Outstanding Contributor
 
keyhole's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Location: Norfolk. UK
Posts: 10,453
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
I think that you need to be quite PC literate to install this program - and very determined. My two DVDs came with a third, which was a tutorial on how to install the other two. It was all quite a hassle, but I cracked it in the end by writing all the instructions down. Otherwise you need 2 PCs - one to read the tutorial, the other to install the DVDs..

I also had to re-configure my PC to install 'MS loopback adaptor', which is simply done from the keyboard.
keyhole is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 11:42 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
milikid's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2009
Location: Preston, Lancashire, UK
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Guys

did you manage to install VIS sytem ??????? got mine from ebay found out that it will not work on windows Vista....

Only Windows XP ................ Installed it first time .................
milikid is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
harley03joe's Avatar
 
Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 1996 S-500 white
Location: Hollywood Florida
Posts: 1,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
I think that you need to be quite PC literate to install this program - and very determined. My two DVDs came with a third, which was a tutorial on how to install the other two. It was all quite a hassle, but I cracked it in the end by writing all the instructions down. Otherwise you need 2 PCs - one to read the tutorial, the other to install the DVDs..

I also had to re-configure my PC to install 'MS loopback adaptor', which is simply done from the keyboard.
Well For Your information At the end i had no WIS.EXE on it, That's why it did not work



96 M-B SL500 White/Beige
05 M-B S 500 Silver/Silver Gut<< SOLD
04 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail
05 Harley-Davidson V Nose Trailer Black/ Chrome
07 Hyundai Azera Limited Nice Car
2011 CADILLAC CTS PREMIUM COLLECTION, Silver / Silver GUT
harley03joe is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
I think that you need to be quite PC literate to install this program - and very determined. My two DVDs came with a third, which was a tutorial on how to install the other two. It was all quite a hassle, but I cracked it in the end by writing all the instructions down. Otherwise you need 2 PCs - one to read the tutorial, the other to install the DVDs..

I also had to re-configure my PC to install 'MS loopback adaptor', which is simply done from the keyboard.
Honestly, I don't think PC-literate has anything to do with it, although determination is certainly helpful. It's clear that the authors of WIS loathe the OS it was designed to operate on. I just think you have to follow some rather complicated instructions to the letter or you're pretty much screwed.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Moving On
 
lynns's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Y2K SL500 Silver
Location: So. California
Posts: 8,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm a Software Sales Engineer by trade and installed the WIS but I disagree with GermanStar. If you are lacking in PC skills this install will surely find you out. Honestly, how many of you really know what a loopback adapter is or for? Let alone know how to install it w/o the directions.

I had success installing the WIS on the first go round because I realized that you must not miss a step otherwise forget about the install working. Quite honestly how many EXE's require this amount of work to get the app working? If your everyday install required this kind of work people would be screaming that they want there money back. The WIS needs to install as easily as a new 'STAR Service Manual Library DVD' like I bought for my Model R129. The new version works great and has a lot of great info unlike it's predecessor.

Do I use the WIS today...NO...because the app broke shortly after install because it turns out that it likes a fresh dedicated MS O/S so as not to confuse any of it's DLL's, etc.
lynns is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 07:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Location: Alabama Gulf Coast--formerly Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried to buy a download from a company in Britain and it was a pure nightmare from the get-go. It involved installing virtual DVD drives on my computer and thousands of other steps just to get ready to download. The programs were huge and ultimately could not be opened. In spite of the help center from the download company, they could not make it work--and got frustrated at me because I wasn't a computer geek. I think their upset was that I didn't see the process as a challenge to be overcome rather than a f$%K^ng inconvenience. If it doesn't plug and play it should be against the law to sell it.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
DrJfrmLA is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns View Post
I'm a Software Sales Engineer by trade and installed the WIS but I disagree with GermanStar. If you are lacking in PC skills this install will surely find you out. Honestly, how many of you really know what a loopback adapter is or for? Let alone know how to install it w/o the directions.

I had success installing the WIS on the first go round because I realized that you must not miss a step otherwise forget about the install working. Quite honestly how many EXE's require this amount of work to get the app working? If your everyday install required this kind of work people would be screaming that they want there money back. The WIS needs to install as easily as a new 'STAR Service Manual Library DVD' like I bought for my Model R129. The new version works great and has a lot of great info unlike it's predecessor.

Do I use the WIS today...NO...because the app broke shortly after install because it turns out that it likes a fresh dedicated MS O/S so as not to confuse any of it's DLL's, etc.
You say you disagree, yet the rest of your post seems to support my point. PC skills, no matter how extensive, are insufficient to get you through this install. You need to follow the directions -- to the letter -- or the install will fail, regardless of your experience or skill level. I am (was) a software developer who owned and operated a small software company for years, and my experience/skills were useless during this install. It doesn't require PC skills to follow directions, it requires attention to detail.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome