What if...? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
asianml's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 11,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What if...?

It's been really sad seeing MB's quality go down and down recently, so it got me thinking.

Seeing how the Japanese are pretty reliable, what if the Japanese took over MB for a while. (Maybe Toyota could take over MB for a while. I know it sounds bad, but think about it.)

Do you think MB's quality would go back up?

Of course, we will still have German designers and stuff, but the quality control and all those big people would be Japanese...

So what do you think?

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

asianml is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 05:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
1996_S500's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: What if...?

Quote:
asianml - 1/30/2006 4:41 PM

It's been really sad seeing MB's quality go down and down recently, so it got me thinking.

Seeing how the Japanese are pretty reliable, what if the Japanese took over MB for a while. (Maybe Toyota could take over MB for a while. I know it sounds bad, but think about it.)

Do you think MB's quality would go back up?

Of course, we will still have German designers and stuff, but the quality control and all those big people would be Japanese...

So what do you think?
japanese build quality is pretty cheap. The engines are just very good and reliable. Plus, a dream thought of by a 15 year old kid wont happen, unless his dad is the CEO of DaimlerChrysler. I know what you mean, but the truth is, it wont happen, unless DailmerChrysler decides to up the quality. I really hope that the quality goes up, otherwise my next car will be another old mercedes.

My cars:

BLACK 1996 S500 (W140) - Sold

BURGUNDY 1989 560 SEL (W126) - Sold
____________________________________________

1996_S500 is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
asianml's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 11,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: What if...?

Quote:
1996_s500 - 1/30/2006 7:49 PM

Quote:
asianml - 1/30/2006 4:41 PM

It's been really sad seeing MB's quality go down and down recently, so it got me thinking.

Seeing how the Japanese are pretty reliable, what if the Japanese took over MB for a while. (Maybe Toyota could take over MB for a while. I know it sounds bad, but think about it.)

Do you think MB's quality would go back up?

Of course, we will still have German designers and stuff, but the quality control and all those big people would be Japanese...

So what do you think?
japanese build quality is pretty cheap. The engines are just very good and reliable. Plus, a dream thought of by a 15 year old kid wont happen, unless his dad is the CEO of DaimlerChrysler. I know what you mean, but the truth is, it wont happen, unless DailmerChrysler decides to up the quality. I really hope that the quality goes up, otherwise my next car will be another old mercedes.
I'm not asking if it will happen. What I'm asking is, what would happen if it happened?

Would build quality and customer satisfaction shoot up?

Or course, they would lose some customers because The Japanese have taken over DCX!

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

asianml is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 05:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
1996_S500's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: What if...?

Quote:
asianml - 1/30/2006 4:51 PM

Quote:
1996_s500 - 1/30/2006 7:49 PM

Quote:
asianml - 1/30/2006 4:41 PM

It's been really sad seeing MB's quality go down and down recently, so it got me thinking.

Seeing how the Japanese are pretty reliable, what if the Japanese took over MB for a while. (Maybe Toyota could take over MB for a while. I know it sounds bad, but think about it.)

Do you think MB's quality would go back up?

Of course, we will still have German designers and stuff, but the quality control and all those big people would be Japanese...

So what do you think?
japanese build quality is pretty cheap. The engines are just very good and reliable. Plus, a dream thought of by a 15 year old kid wont happen, unless his dad is the CEO of DaimlerChrysler. I know what you mean, but the truth is, it wont happen, unless DailmerChrysler decides to up the quality. I really hope that the quality goes up, otherwise my next car will be another old mercedes.
I'm not asking if it will happen. What I'm asking is, what would happen if it happened?

Would build quality and customer satisfaction shoot up?

Or course, they would lose some customers because The Japanese have taken over DCX!
I really dont think that the quality will go up. I have seen a lot of bad accidents with Japanese cars.

I am sure that the customer satisfaction and reliability will go up though.

And whatever you do, you always loose customers.

My cars:

BLACK 1996 S500 (W140) - Sold

BURGUNDY 1989 560 SEL (W126) - Sold
____________________________________________

1996_S500 is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 06:03 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
 
snips's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: B6
Posts: 1,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: What if...?

Benz used to keep it simple and only had a few models available in North America but all of them were quality, reliable and in most cases very attractive.

They have become a "bottom line" company. I shouldn't have to spend 130 thousand dollars on a car to get a quality car. Unless you have the big bucks, they are serving up a shit sandwhich.

It's pretty sad when I was more impressed with a Ford Fusion over a C230.




Freude am fahren!
snips is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 06:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
1996_S500's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: What if...?

Quote:
snips - 1/30/2006 5:03 PM

Benz used to keep it simple and only had a few models available in North America but all of them were quality, reliable and in most cases very attractive.

They have become a "bottom line" company. I shouldn't have to spend 130 thousand dollars on a car to get a quality car. Unless you have the big bucks, they are serving up a shit sandwhich.

It's pretty sad when I was more impressed with a Ford Fusion over a C230.


haha. same here. I saw one the other day parked next to a W203 C Class, and I just walked past the C, and headed for the Fusion. It is really sad about the MB quality nowadays.

My cars:

BLACK 1996 S500 (W140) - Sold

BURGUNDY 1989 560 SEL (W126) - Sold
____________________________________________

1996_S500 is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars
 
cmitch's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Location: City on the TN River
Posts: 10,693
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: What if...?

Have you seen the new Ford commercial. Mr. Bill Ford, CEO of FMC admits they must change to remain competitive in the present market and talks about how Ford and Volvo are working together (Volvo is owned by Ford) to design better vehicles. I don't think you will ever see ole Deiter do that!
cmitch is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 08:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
1996_S500's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: What if...?

Quote:
cmitchprint - 1/30/2006 6:58 PM

Have you seen the new Ford commercial. Mr. Bill Ford, CEO of FMC admits they must change to remain competitive in the present market and talks about how Ford and Volvo are working together (Volvo is owned by Ford) to design better vehicles. I don't think you will ever see ole Deiter do that!
yea, but now since ford and volvo are "working together" Volvos will probably get worse, even though Ford has owned Volvo for a while now.

My cars:

BLACK 1996 S500 (W140) - Sold

BURGUNDY 1989 560 SEL (W126) - Sold
____________________________________________

1996_S500 is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 12:22 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
 
snips's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: B6
Posts: 1,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: What if...?

Quote:
1996_s500 - 1/30/2006 8:05 PM

Quote:
cmitchprint - 1/30/2006 6:58 PM

Have you seen the new Ford commercial. Mr. Bill Ford, CEO of FMC admits they must change to remain competitive in the present market and talks about how Ford and Volvo are working together (Volvo is owned by Ford) to design better vehicles. I don't think you will ever see ole Deiter do that!
yea, but now since ford and volvo are "working together" Volvos will probably get worse, even though Ford has owned Volvo for a while now.
I drove a 2001 S40, and a 2005 S40. The blue oval is bad for you!

Freude am fahren!
snips is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 12:46 AM
BenzWorld Elitist
 
Marsden's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Location: United States
Posts: 11,335
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: What if...?

I wish Toyota or Honda had bought MB ten years ago.

But not if they just turned MB into another Toyota or Honda. I doubt they would have though. My guess is that their management would have been savvy enough to let MB remain MB, while also getting them to focus on quality control.

We can dream, huh? Sad that it ever came to this.

Marsden is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome