BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 87 560SEL SOLD: 95 SL600, 95/97 S600 coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
to use 'stop leak' or not to

What is the scoop on this stuff:

I have two engine leaks, one oil and one coolant.
S600 v12, 95.
Engine runs quite well otherwise.
Cost to fix, estimated in the mid $5's, plus possible movement of wiring harness and replacement, another $2gs probably.

should I risk this stuff and could there be any permanent damage?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 02:06 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: '03 C240, '03 ML350
Send a message via AIM to pentagon
RE: to use 'stop leak' or not to

This stuff has always intrigued me - We are going to add some stuff that promises to "seal" to a viscous substance that has a sole purpose of preventing things from "sealing". Don't do it. If you want to keep the car a long time, fix it the right way. If you don't plan to keep it and it's running good, leave it alone.

'03 C240 Sedan, Black/Java
'03 ML350, Black/Black
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 02:45 AM
Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have used the radiator treatment in an emergency with limited success.The particles are very fine and will only stop a minor leak.It did quieten a noisy waterpump though.I think it unlikely that the oil treatments can swell a blown seal or gasket enough to constitute a long term repair.These are the sorts of products used by dodgy sellers to move suspect cars.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 03:15 AM
Always Remembered RIP
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 220SEb coupe & 500SL

I've used bars leaks coolent conditioner for years now in my Land Rovers, but they're old style engines designed in the 60's. Helps protect and silence noisey water pumps and seams to stop small leaks.
Not sure not sure I'd use it in a newer engine though and I wouldn'd use the engine one.

- Jason

'61 Mercedes 220SEb coupe
'64 Land Rover IIa
'83 Mercedes 500SL
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:27 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 300TE 4-Matic 300GD

Hi again.

I covered the Bar's Leak in the other post.

When it comes to lube oil, I don't know. There are some products out there. I have not investigated very much on the subject.

But, being the tower guy, I sometimes have to make decisions for other people. If someone is passing by, with 300 kilometers to go and oil leaking, I do have a solution. IF, the customer want's to go for it.

The first time I encountered this product, was when I pulled in a Scania truck with a HUGE servo leak. When I added ATF to see what gave, it just squirted out right away. I couldn't even see where it leaked because it was covered all over with ATF. Well, the fortified Scania mechanic filled the reservoir half full, and added a bottle of Omega 917. Started up, and most of it came out, but not all. The leak was getting smaller and smaller. I couldn't believe my own eyes, and the customer left the premises before me.

The Scania customer initially denied the mech to pour it in, maybe thinking this was a temporary fix. But the mech said that it was an official Scania leak fix. There was no need to redo anything, as long as the leak didn't come back. I think the estimated pick up time repairing the old fashioned way helped him decide.

I haven't used it much, and mostly in an emergency. I did stop some small oil leaks in my Bluegold, but I don't offer it to my regular customers. I see that other dealers than Scania offer it for sale in their system, so I'm not sure how harmful it can be.

If the leak is between oil and water, there is nothing I know of that will fix it. The 917 needs oxygen to harden and swell. You can check out this web link, if you like.

I think I would ask some technical expert in the MB import system for advice, rather than a mechanic, or your dealer.

Hope this helps.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)

Coolant and oil leaks are different animals.
Coolant usually leak on small hole on radiator, or a gap in the gasket, while oil usually leaks on the seal.
Radiator sealers are the stuff, that swells and hardens with the air. Black pepper supposable does the trick, while most of the oil "sealers" are softening the seals to swell them. That might fix the leak, but later on the seal will deteriorate in accelerated speed.
Most of the time, when there is oil leak, you might find part of the seal missed.
If the oil leak stopper would really work, why would manufacturer bother to put seals and gaskets in the first place?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:39 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 04-E320 (benz #7)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to zaphodsplanet

I wouldn't use anything like that. Never used a magical stop leak product for oil leaks but did once for a very old car.... my first car... a 68 Camero with a 327 small block. My father, in his infinite mechanical wisdom, had me go through about 2 or 3 cans of some kind of sealer when I developed a leak in the both of the head gaskets. Had water coming out the exhaust like there was a hose attached. When all was said and done and I stopped listening to Dad's sage advice and pulled the heads.... also had to replace all the rod bearings that had spun. Took out 3-4 Gallons of what looked like a chocolate shake that was my oil mixed with water.

Long story short. After fixing the heads and bearings on the engine I ended up having to replace the radiator as well. It had gotten all gunked up with the magical fluid Dad thought would magically fix my head gasket leak... causing the car to overheat all the time.

You don't specify if your price quote was from a dealer or indy. If it's a dealer price you might be able to save some $ with an indy. If you plan on keeping the car for some time I'd fix it the right way... especially since your talking about a V12.... if you want to save big bucks DIY.

There's my 2 cents and a boring story from the past...LOL

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:45 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: S600L

I seem to recal a similar question or article somewhere that someone used it on their S600 and it blocked up small ports in their system(engine/cooling etc) and it cost them big bucks!!!
I wouldn't put it in mine but would in my Land Rover 101 3.5 V8 as it has, a,previously mentioned - old technology engine![:)]
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

The heater cores on a lot of modern cars can get gunked up pretty well with a lot of these sealers.

I would fix it the right way if the car is a keeper.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 09:53 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 1955 300SL, 1999 SL600, 2011 C55 AMG, 1990 500SL, 1993 500SE
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

In my humble opinion, coolant leak can kill your engine and you don't want to fill the system with bubble gum deposits to try to plug a leak. It is best to find the leak and just fix it right, before it all leaks out and you overheat or burn up the engine. If you look around you can find deals if you need a part like radiator or heater core. The labor to replace heater core can be rough to pay for, a shop other than an actual MB dealer would cost less usually. Oil leaks can sometimes be tolerated if it's not too big a leak and you keep an eye on the oil level so it doesn't run out of oil. You don't want it leaking so bad it fouls up the whole engine compartment, though, and don't want it to leak on the exhaust manifolds. I had a Porsche that leaked oil upon heavy acceleration, splashing it on the exhaust and the car would fill up with smoke. If driven gently it wouldn't leak. Weird! It was like the car didn't want you to drive it too hard. Was a real nice car though. Sold it last Summer.[8)]

Please don't spill Champagne in the Mercedes.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: