LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 06:17 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 87 560SEL SOLD: 95 SL600, 95/97 S600 coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: 1991 190e 2.6 nightmare!!!!

I have a coolant leak out the rear of my v12. 95 model S600.
Will the Bar's stuff work?
I think tearing the engine apart would cost thousands.
What are the risks putting this stuff in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:57 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 300TE 4-Matic 300GD

In a 600? Well the coolant system will probably be fine with Bar's. I've never seen it used in a 600 before, but then again, 600's are rare over here.

I consider myself pretty cynical, and I didn't accept at once the benefits from using it. I have used it to fix leaks for a good while now (4-5 years), and never seen any kind of problem. I have seen others use it to stop very big leaks, in the block and elsewhere. Before I used Holt's (?), but that was a totally different ballpark. It works, yes, but only temporarily. In the old days, truck owners used cinnamon.

So I'm not aware of any risks. The stuff looks somewhat scary, with large particles. I don't always clean the system before adding it, depending on the situation. I haven't noticed any difference with or without a cleansing.

Regards

Geir

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 09:29 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
lastloree - 1/22/2006 7:29 PM

I'm in Austin, TX.

I'm going to give the Bar's a try. At this point I don't think it could hurt much

Follow the instructions exactly and use plenty.I'm not sure the size of the packs in the US,you may need two.

Getting back to your leak,can you try to explain more clearly where the coolant is escaping? How is your oil on the dipstick? Any signs of emulsification?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:44 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 87 560SEL SOLD: 95 SL600, 95/97 S600 coupe

Oil looks like no coolant mixing.
Mechanic says there are two separate leaks coming from engine: manifold area is oil, coolant out of rear somewhere. Could this be a coolant line, or what?
They just want to tear into the engine, I know, and get some college money out of me for their kids.
The car is an auction buy from ebay and was a disaster initially.
I bought it for $13K and asked if there were any leaks. Seller lied.
If this sealer in the can works wonders, I would like to try it as long as there is not any kind of engine damage.
Thanks for all opinions.
I have started a thread on this in the General section as well.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 01:27 PM
One of the BW Old Guard

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1988 560Sl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Let me address acouple of things here...
On the SL600, there is a water manifold on the back side of the engine, which is made of plastic and is notorious for cracking. There is a thread on here or *****************, discussing this very water manifold. Recommended replacement interval is 100,000 or when it cracks and starts leaking... One enterprising owner fabricated a new manifold out of metal to prevent repeat infraction. I do not know personally, but it is alledged to be a bastard to gain access to...

On the 190, I doubt a head gasket will leak like you are reporting... Sounds like something else for water to leave that fast. I suspect water pump, or piping somewhere to loose water that fast. On a cold engine, with engine off, if you add water, do you see it running out on the ground? Can you discern from where?

In general, "Stop-leak" products are only good where the leak is a seeping type of affair. Full blown leaks will overpower any stop leak products unless you put in so much as to "bridge the gap", so to speak. Using that much will also stop up thermostats, heater cores, etc so I would not advise it.

RM Smith www.rmsmithco.com

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 08:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 04-E320 (benz #7)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to zaphodsplanet

Quote:
lastloree - 1/20/2006 12:00 AM

First I guess I need to explain, Single, divorced female afraid of car mechanics. I have taken one in before and paid for repairs I later found out were never performed. So I am cautious!

My car was stolen, and my mother had a Mercedes FOREVER.... put over 300K mile and sold it to someone who still drives it. I find what I think is a pretty good deal on this model.

It starts to get hot and someone at the auto parts store who looked at it tells me it's a thermostat. I get someone to replace it. When they go to put coolant back into it notices a leak. Now I'm told I have a blown head gasket.

Ok, I am going to get it fixed but can't afford it until next month. How horrible is it to put the stop leak stuff in. And where do I put it??? The only place I can find is where I put the coolant. HELP!
Lastloree,
I'm also in Austin. Have been driving benz's since 92. If you're looking for a good mechanic that won't screw you I recommend Ben's Workshop on 5th Street. Been using him for eons and I can't say enough good things about the shop. They are much cheaper than the dealership... and they do great work. The will also explain your options when you run into any problems. IF you need an honest assessment give them a call or PM me and I can give you the contact info.

Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in