post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
auto box oil change

Hi

on my series W124 300E I need to change the auto transmission oil.

Before I get under it, does anyone know if it has a drain plug or is it a case of loosening the plate at the bottom and let the oil escape??. I read somewhere that it is a messy job??

Some help would be appreciated

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
(Thread Starter)
RE: auto box oil change

Hi again

I forgot to ask, When I fill the auto box up through the oil level dipstick, does this fill the torque converter up as well?

Many thanks
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 01:25 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

The fluid in the torque converter is the sticky part.
Just draining the old fluid will not get the fluid out of it. There is not a drain plug on the torque converter. So you are only going to get the fluid out what is in the rest of the transmission.
One option would be to see if anyone in your area can use a power flush and fill system for the 300e. that device will remove all of the fluid and replace it by using pressure to pump out all of the fluid and replace it with fresh fluid. However I would still drop the pan and replace the screen filter to ensure the longevity of the trans. If the fluid is turning brown it is time for a change so after dropping the pan and changing the fluid the conventional way I would then run the car for a few miles and then inspect the fluid on the dipstick. If it is not a nice clean red color I would change it again or see if you can find a power system to service it. It may seem like a wste of fluid and money, but it is a lot cheaper than a broken trans.
The 300e is known for having trans problems if the fluid is under maintained.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 02:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

The 124 chassis doesn't have a plug for the torque converter? Are you sure about that? I thought that late 1999 is when the torque converter drain plugs disappeared. I know on my 210 chassis, my '99 has one, but the '00 doesn't. I'm not that familiar with the 124's, but I was pretty sure they had a drain plug for the torque converter.

I personally would never use one of those power flush systems. I much prefer gravity to drain both the transmission and the torque converter. And as recommended, always change the filter and gasket.

I believe that when you refill the transmission, you should fill the transmission up to about 60%, start it up, shift it through all the gears and then add the rest. That's the way you fill the torque converter. I know on the 123 cars, if you just fill up the transmission all at once, you'll end up with a couple of quarts of ATF on the driveway if you don't start it up part way through the filling process.

Len
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 08:00 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2006

That car have two drain plugs one on the trany pan and one on the converter they are same size drain plugs.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 02:57 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 04-E320 (benz #7)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to zaphodsplanet

I'm pretty sure Sokoloff is right. I had a 90 300E and I am pretty sure I remember changing out the tranny fluid once. A drain in the pan... and one in the torque converter. Get's the majority of the fluid out. Then pull the pan... clean it up and change the tranny filter.... then fill the bad boy back up and you're back in business.

Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in