LQQKING FOR NEW OR USED MBZ SMART KEY REMOTES, ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 2002 CL-500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
LQQKING FOR NEW OR USED MBZ SMART KEY REMOTES, ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a set, CAN THEY BE RE-PROGRAMMED???? THANKS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 11:42 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: W124/230E, W202 C240 stationwagon, W210 E280 facelift
RE: LQQKING FOR NEW OR USED MBZ SMART KEY REMOTES, ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smart keys are specifically programmed for one car, it is married to the engine control unit and ignition switch (EIS). and can only ordered with the correct VIN.

in the case of vehicle with no steering lock the key is also programmed on the gear selector lever (ESM).

And in ordering rheft related parts like smart keys, engine control unit,esm,eis etc. you need to provide proof of ownership with the dealer.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:22 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: CLS 55 AMG, One Day !

Actually ALL mercs are like that, without the correct car the key is just useless !
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 10:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
RE: THATS NOT TRUE

Quote:
MrBenz55 - 1/17/2006 8:22 PM

Actually ALL mercs are like that, without the correct car the key is just useless !
THATS NOT TRUE. on the w140, r129, w210, as well as other models, there is a remote control as well. You can get someone else' and just change the key and program it yourself. By simply holding down the one button while twisting it up and down in the ignition.

Benzboyz is right about the smart keys though...
They are programmed to the engine control unit and ignition switch.

My cars:

BLACK 1996 S500 (W140) - Sold

BURGUNDY 1989 560 SEL (W126) - Sold

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
RE: THATS NOT TRUE

Quote:
1996_s500 - 1/18/2006 12:36 AM

Quote:

THATS NOT TRUE. on the w140, r129, w210, as well as other models, there is a remote control as well. You can get someone else' and just change the key and program it yourself. By simply holding down the one button while twisting it up and down in the ignition.

T H A N K Y O U ! ! ! ! ! ! !

That is what I had heard through the grapevine, however I have never known anyone to actually know anything about this one way or the other.

Here is my delima!! I have a 2002 CL-500(w215). I broke my smart key and I need a new/used one. Can I buy those being sold on eBay?????

P L E A S E H E L P ! ! ! ! ! ! !
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 11:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005

Quote:
gboctor - 1/17/2006 10:26 PM

Quote:
1996_s500 - 1/18/2006 12:36 AM

Quote:

T H A N K Y O U ! ! ! ! ! ! !

That is what I had heard through the grapevine, however I have never known anyone to actually know anything about this one way or the other.

Here is my delima!! I have a 2002 CL-500(w215). I broke my smart key and I need a new/used one. Can I buy those being sold on eBay?????

P L E A S E H E L P ! ! ! ! ! ! !
i'm not completely positive about buying one off of eBay. either way, you have to go to the dealership, because only they can program it.

You may be able to buy one off of ebay, and give it to your dealer to program. You will also have to get another key blade, and get that cut by the dealer. I would say, get one of ebay, and then tell your dealer to put in a new key, cut it, and the program the key to work with your car. I am pretty sure this will work.

You could also go to the dealer and get a completely new one from the dealer, but it will cost you around $250-300. Programmed and cut key. This will definately work, but will be expensive.

Although, i am not sure if any of this will work. I am simply trying to help you.

-1996_S500

My cars:

BLACK 1996 S500 (W140) - Sold

BURGUNDY 1989 560 SEL (W126) - Sold

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 10:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure SmartKeys can't be bought off of eBay and then reprogrammed.

If they can't do it for my M'Ls switchblade key, then I'm pretty sure they can't with the SmartKey.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Smart keys CAN NOT be reprogrammed! They have to be ordered and the factory keeps track of the codes. There are only 24 combination of codes for any car.
The computer has to be changed and it comes with a learning key. A remote is either orderd as a additional or eplacement. The additional uses the next code for that car, the replacement wipes the first one smart keys were intoduced with the very late 140s, and 210s. Typically two codes were used for the remotes, one code was used for the emergency key. The remote is infrared for the doors and inductive for the ignition, so if the remote battery goes bad you can still start the car. the replacement remote talks to the car and can take up to 45 minutes before it will start and keep the car running.
The only use for smart remotes is if you want to impress your friends and to use the housing as a replacement. Some lat 90s could be coded by the dealer, but I think it was activation not reprogramming. The aiming of the remote and turning on the ignition was to resync not recode, and there were different proceedures.
There is a 10 page document that discusses "smart key" disabling, clean install, and the role of the factory.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Peter Guenther - 1/18/2006 2:15 PM

Smart keys CAN NOT be reprogrammed! They have to be ordered and the factory keeps track of the codes. There are only 24 combination of codes for any car.
The computer has to be changed and it comes with a learning key. A remote is either orderd as a additional or eplacement. The additional uses the next code for that car, the replacement wipes the first one smart keys were intoduced with the very late 140s, and 210s. Typically two codes were used for the remotes, one code was used for the emergency key. The remote is infrared for the doors and inductive for the ignition, so if the remote battery goes bad you can still start the car. the replacement remote talks to the car and can take up to 45 minutes before it will start and keep the car running.
The only use for smart remotes is if you want to impress your friends and to use the housing as a replacement. Some lat 90s could be coded by the dealer, but I think it was activation not reprogramming. The aiming of the remote and turning on the ignition was to resync not recode, and there were different proceedures.
There is a 10 page document that discusses "smart key" disabling, clean install, and the role of the factory.
If I may ask, where did you gather the above information?

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 09:47 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 164.125 163.175 Previous W211MOPF-W211C209W202W124

Some more info here.........
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...223278&posts=6

Peter is correct you cannot reprogram or code or in any way get a smart key for a particular vehicle to work with any other vehicle.
If you dont want to deal with programming the smart key order a "additional" key(considering you still have tracks avaliable).
Although this will not cancell out your missing or lost key.........

Sam

Free maintenance ? buy a Bimmer......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in