BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rebadging or debadging

Dear Reader,

I don't know if rebadging (rebranding) or debadging (debranding) is common in your country. It is very common in Thailand.

OK, I am using "you and your" here to address the rebranders, debranders and down-branders.

I really don't understand rebadging cars. Your family and friends (and surely your mechanic) will know that you 'turned' your 280S into a 500S. It's humiliating. Who are you trying to impress? The ignorant driver of a motor cycle behind you.

A less sinister (but stupider) form is debranding: removing the model number from the outside surface of the car. You want people to understand that you are driving a Mercedes but you want them to remain ignorant of its 'status'. Now your friends and family just know that you want to hide the fact that you are driving something less than top of the line. For sure none of these debranders ever remove the Mercedes star!

I think that it would be far swifter to down-badge. Buy a 500S and substitute 280S. Your friends will wonder why. You can say that you don't want people to think you are driving an obscenely expensive machine.

BTW, a new 500S in Thailand will cost you 14,900,000 baht. The same car in the USA will set you back 3,600,000 baht. That's just about 25% of the Thai sticker price.

My two Bangkok cars carry the original factory badge...they are at the low end: "2"s.

Hmmm....wonder where I can buy some "5"s.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 04:41 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 220SEb coupe & 500SL
RE: Rebadging or debadging

Here in the UK a lot of the lower engined cars are debadged, C180, E200s etc.
Not noticed a great deal of up badging in regards to model numbers but it's very common to see AMG badges and their like on 'standard' models.
The worse culprits seem to be BMWs with M badges. There's a BMW 520 local to me with a M3 badge.[:D]

- Jason

'61 Mercedes 220SEb coupe
'64 Land Rover IIa
'83 Mercedes 500SL
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 06:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004

Over here it's usually W210 E200's and 230's with E55 AMG badges on them or W140's with "S600",... So tired of seeing it.

Lately a new trend has started E/CLK 200 Kompressors with 320 badges,..... ITS 350 NOW !!!
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 07:11 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '09 B200, '05 Smart
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't think I have seen that on Benz's around here - I see it a lot on boy racer cars though - a Honda Civic with an Acura Type S or Type R badge

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 10:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
As I understand it, removing the class and engine I.D. is common in Europe ...

The claim is that there is less chance of the car being stolen if the thief doesn't know what he's stealing... [:)] Debadging can be and is done by the dealer on the owner's request.
Personally I have considered removing the badging on my SLK because I got tired of every hot rod Honda driver wanting to try their luck against an ///AMG.

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 01:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

Interesting topic. My last car (still for sale) is a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T. I removed all badges (other than the Audi rings) for aesthetic purposes. I was not trying to fool anybody into thinking it was something other than an A6 2.7T. The tail of the car looks incredibly clean and uncluttered.

Now I have a 2002 C32 AMG. The "V6 Kompressor" badges were removed by a prior owner, and I'm happy with that. They seemed excessive, and kind of immature looking. But the "C32" and "AMG" badges remain on the trunklid, and I intend to keep them there.

How do I explain the difference? To me, the "C32 AMG" badges really define what the car is. I might well have debadged a C320 or C350 since they are just "rankings" in the lineup. The AMG is a tuner's badge, and it means as much as the manufacture's logo to me.

Rebadging with false badges is just stupid. To anyone who knows better, you are embarrassing yourself.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 03:51 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 02 ML 320

I know on the M3 i keep saying i am going to change it to a 330CI badge so ricers and just about everyone wont try and race me or rev their engines at you at every light. If i had an AMG i would debage just to be left alone and put the lowest model badges on it for example E55 i would badge it E350 how would you like to be driving a sports car racing a 4 door car that says E350 and losing to it.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 11:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

My 300 sel was debadged and had the grill of a s600. But considering that my car was imported from Singapore where there is not really that much point of having a 600 I can understand it. Debadging is ment to make the back of the car look cleaner and I think it does.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 12:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I took the 420 SEL badge off my car and put a 560 SEL badge on. And I've tricked a lot of mechanics and I tricked the people at the dyno for the emmissions test. They wrote 5.6L V8 on the paper, lol. And to the contrary about those honda ricers, most of them probably don't even know what 560 SEL, S500 or SLK means or what AMG stands for. They just look at the car and assume if it's fast or slow. In the case of the W126 4dr, it looks like a slow old man car so they don't even try.

Oh by the way one of the reasons I put on the 560 badge is because I wanted to trade my car in for a 560 and put some cash on top, but I didn't know if I was buying a money pit or not. So I thought why not just buy a 560 badge for 50 bucks and keep the car that I know has no troubles. I know most of you are probably going to say put back the old badge, but I have always wanted a 500ish Mercedes and this is as close as I'm going to get to a 500 or 560 for another couple of years. sorry for rambling on.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 05:38 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 1987 420SEL

The badging delemma has been on my mind too. My ride is a 420 SEL. The engine was changed to a 117. So I guess in all reality I could change it to 560 SEL. Having said that, I don't really give a f**k what the badge says on this or any other car. As long as this one gets me to the other end of my trip, I am quite happy. My dad used to say that 3rd class driving is better than 1st class walking! lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in