LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 07:15 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1986 300SDL 311,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mssdoglover
RE: Low mileage oil change ? (Is it needed.)

Usually with only mild consideration for age, we generally go by the owners manual unless we see a problem. If it's an older vehicle (non-mercedes) that says 3000, we do 3000. If it says 5000, we do 5000 unless we see that it's burning extreme amounts, leaking, getting really nasty, etc. I tend to believe they wrote it in the book for a reason, and just do that unless you see a good reason to go sooner.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

bikerider58 - 1/10/2006 11:55 PM

In the day with driving about 12k miles a year, most folks did the 3K miles or 3 months oil change. As oils got better (more additives) and various filters and pollution controls were added to engines the recommended change interval increased. I follow the logic in this because less dirt got in and the oil didn't break down.

As the interval increased, the once a year change remained due to acid and possible sludge issues. With the current synthetic oils, is the annual oil change now a thing of the past just like the annual tune up? (Assuming no extreme conditions and the engine does get fully warmed up to remove moisture.)

Does the FSS track driving and time? Will it tell you a service is due if you only drive 7K miles in the year?
I was just resetting mine. In the manual it indicates that it will reset to 10,000 miles and 365 days for the interval. The mileage may vary. Part of the FSS is a sensor that measures electrical conductivity of the oil thus determing the amount of metal getting into the oil. Also as mentioned the FSS adjusts the mileage interval based on driving habits. The 365 day timer does not change and from what I have read the oil should not be pushed beyond the 365 day interval regardless of mileage.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 10:07 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: SL320, 300e, 450SL

Nice thread here w/ some fine points. Mine goes off color as well. I use amsoil on all my cars,trucks,motorcycles,atv's. W/ this oil, i change on average at 8-12k miles and its usually got a dark caramel color to it. With my diesel engines, it looks quite a bit darker as this is rather common in diesel. It takes a while to get used to going so long, but has not worried me any. My g-friend has a 05 bmw[xx(]x5 w/ 17k miles on it and the dealer has not changed oil yet due to the car supposedly "telling"you and "sensing" when its time. could be 7k miles, could be 20k miles. (Just another reason not to drive these machines!). So, do as you will, im stickin w/ amsoil and my trusty topsider oil extractor and a minimal 10k mile oil change. good luck, BC[:0]
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 05:04 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

I was talking to a mate who rebuilds drag and sprint car motors. He said a good trick to keeping oil fresh is to get a magnetic core sump plug. It picks up the microscopic metal pieces from the oil in the sump, preventing them from going through the engine again reducing wear.

I think I may look into one. It cant hurt.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 01:56 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 2006 E-350 Premium with Panoramic Roof, Key-less Go, Parktronics

A&L'sSL300 - 1/11/2006 4:57 PM

My SL is a daily driver and I don't even look at the miles between changes. I work on colour. When the nice golden colour of my oil changes and becomes dark, usually at 4-5K miles I change it. I keep a log book on oil, brakepads and tyres to get a history on servicing and the kind of performance I get, to evaluate products I use. It's a bit anal but when you sell a car the buyer usually appreciates it. [not that the SL is going anywhere in the future]
Love your idea! I'm going to do the same for my ne E350.[8D]
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: