BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 2005 C55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
wreck / warranty

I have had my C55 for about 3 months.

Recently, my city was iced-over and a lady spun out in front of me in her car. Since we were both on ice we wrecked.

There was no mechanical damage to my car but the right fender, bumper and hood had to be replaced.

I recently ran out of windshield wiper fluid. I refilled the reservoir with Rain-X windshield washer fluid on Saturday. I tried to get the windshield washer fluid to spray on my windshield this morning and the console on my car displays "Windshield washer fluid - please refill".

I called my local service center about this problem and he said that there was probably a seal that needed to be replaced. He said that the warranty would cover it "as long as my car had not been in a wreck."

So does Mercedes completely nullify the warranty on their cars if the car has been in any sort of wreck? For example, if my fender is slightly bent from a 5mph collision in a parking garage then is Mercedes' policy that absolutely no warranty applies to the car from that point on? So, if my engine explodes from an unrelated problem then will I be completely out-of-pocket for the repair since my fender was slightly bent in a parking garage and had to be replaced even though my car is only 6 months old?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: wreck / warranty

From my own personal experience on an ML being totalled and another one having had enough damage to warrant the rear bumper and its supports replaced.

On the one that was totalled. Some local guy bought it at the insurance auction. Spent 28k+ to put it back in order. The thing was so twisted that the sunroof never worked again, leaked a lot and the frame was never able to be fully straightened out.
My SA at the dealer told me this guy had come in looking for warranty work on the sun roof. They ran the VIN# and said sorry no go it is a salvage car.
Since then I bumped into the guy at a supermarket, parked the ML430 wight next to the totalled 320 that had been resurected from the dead. As luck would have it he came out as was also leaving. I told him the whole story of th wreck. Asked him why would buy any salvage car, expecially a Benz. I told him there is nothing more expensive than a "cheap" Benz. He agreed and was livid at MB and the dealer for cancelling the warranty. He never did his due diligence before wasting all that money.
So in salvage cases they (MBUSA) kills the warranty. If a Starmark warranty was on the vehicle the customer gets a refund on the remaining duration.

Moving to a fender bender. My wife backed into the hay elevator at our horse farm. She really did a number on it. about $2000 later it looked good as new. Since then several warranty items were covered. So a fender bender does not cancel the warranty.
In your case if the resevoir was on the fender that got wrecked I can see their point about items relating to possible impact forces being affected. I doubt that your entire warranty is void at this point. For example if a fuel pump went at 20k miles I would bet it is covered. MBUSA will know for sure about what your coverage is, and most of it is intact from my experience and also other friends. I would also call another dealer to see what they say. If they did kill the warranty on a high end sedan of the C55s stature I would be amazed.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 01:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 2002 430clk;2005 Yamaha YZF R1;08 Range Rover Sport

Thats interesting, I would make them discover it was in an accident or take it back to the shop that did the repair

Mod list:Carlssons front bumper, custom angel eye fogs, headlight rings, #1 pads, Eibach springs, Inmotion ECU tuning, chrome wheels, Illuminated door sills, in dash DVD and backup camera, complete audio system, AMG pedals, LED lights, Blk maple and chrome shift knob, blk maple center cover and door pulls, Zaino, H&R 10mm spacers, K&N filters, Magnaflow exhaust
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 02:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 1990 300E, 2002 ML500

Well I understand that if a car is totaled and then salvaged why any company would void the warrenty. The company could end up reparing most of a car that was totaled that way. The point of a warrenty is to repair or replace parts broken due to defects from the factory. Now as for the C55 if they can prove that the wreck caused the failure then you are SOL, I would think that if you could show that the part was not affected by the wreck and that it failed prematurely then it should be covered by warrenty. The reason it would be worded like that in the warrenty is so that Mercedes won't get fucked over in a contract, the SA should have the final say as to whether it should be under warrenty or broke from the wreck.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: