More mods or new member probation period - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: We have been over run with trolls for the past week or so and much discussion between members here v
We need more Admins 21 44.68%
We need new member probation period 8 17.02%
Everything is fine 15 31.91%
Other.. Please list you ideas 3 6.38%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 03:11 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1984 300D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: More mods or new member probation period

I agree more admins would be better. I think adding atleast 2 more mods per chat room would be a good Idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 02 ML 320
(Thread Starter)

I agree with everyone that we need more admins. But i also like the post where someone brought up the fact about new member probation would cause new people to do searches rather than just making another topic that has been beating to death. It seems these days in the ML W163 section a lot of new people come on and dont do a search first.

As for the VIN number idea all you have to do is go to eaby motors and you have your endless supply of VIN numbers.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 04:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I subsribed to to a forum that all posts went thru a moderator. and the moderator had the option to just remove the subject and the user. Send the new user the password to the E-mail address that filed the membership within 24 hrs.
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 04:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I think we may have gone off the deep end a bit when we start comparing our VIN #s to our Social Security #s. How on earth could one's identity be stolen w/ a VIN #? Few people outside of these forums even know what a VIN # is!

This is just a car forum people! It is not about the second coming. (Oops: Is that politically incorrect? I hope so!)

I think we may be overestimating our importance in the overall scheme of things, if you know what I mean.

Couldn't we all just relax a bit?
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 05:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE

Quote:
Misfit - 1/9/2006 1:57 PM

I am using firefox - everytime I try one of the polls here - it says that I have already submitted to the poll - any other firefox users getting that ?
No, not with ff or Netscape – are you sure you’ve not already voted?

Ramp – you’re not going unheard and in a more perfect situation I’d agree with you about lighten up, chill out, and relax.

But I’m tired of these inane attacks. Ironically BW is in some sense a victim of its own success. Many put up with the funky software and finicky server because the admin knows how to admin: less is more, interfere as little as possible. Everyone enjoys the freedom we have here as opposed to many other more restrictive sites. Trolls are taking advantage of that, however, and I think it’s appropriate for members to step up to protect the site.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 05:56 PM
One of the BW Old Guard

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1988 560Sl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Ok children, lets all get out our crayons and paper, we'll start in just a minute...

Lets just step back and lets get a hold of ourselves. The fact a troll or such had his way with the board this weekend is no cause for alarm. This board, like society, is open to all walks of life, which means some bad will sneak in from time to time. The admins took the necessary steps and for now, the problem is solved. What did it cost us as a group? Perhaps a bit of embarassment and certainly generated a bit of anger, but tomorrow it will be old news and life will go on as usual. There is no need for alarm or extraordinary measures... Kudos to those hosts who stayed up late to delete his offensive material... I know it kept me "entertained" for a good while...

Remember after all, this board is still an excellent resource for the amount we are paying...

RM Smith www.rmsmithco.com

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 02 ML 320
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Ears - 1/9/2006 7:56 PM

Ok children, lets all get out our crayons and paper, we'll start in just a minute...

Lets just step back and lets get a hold of ourselves. The fact a troll or such had his way with the board this weekend is no cause for alarm. This board, like society, is open to all walks of life, which means some bad will sneak in from time to time. The admins took the necessary steps and for now, the problem is solved. What did it cost us as a group? Perhaps a bit of embarassment and certainly generated a bit of anger, but tomorrow it will be old news and life will go on as usual. There is no need for alarm or extraordinary measures... Kudos to those hosts who stayed up late to delete his offensive material... I know it kept me "entertained" for a good while...

Remember after all, this board is still an excellent resource for the amount we are paying...
Yea i hope you are right. in fact i think you are right that the troll will get tired of doing this.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 05:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
OrangeMarlin - 1/9/2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

I don't know if doing that would be right. We had someone talk trash about MB about a month ago by the name of gmisbest. The arguement went for like 10 pages. Nothing else happened after that.

An argument only goes on for 10 pages if more than one person participates. It's very, very hard to do, but you need to ignore trolls. Aggressive moderators can help, but that costs time and money.
Actually for the majority of the arguement, it was just me and the troll. Although it is true that they should be ignored, this guy was just too frickin funny.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 220SEb coupe & 500SL

The likes of GMISBEST and The Golddigger was just harmless fun. After reading a couple of posts you could then just decide to ignore them or play along.
The latest trolls such as the incarnations of Bob are just lame and tedious. They don't particularly shock or upset me but I’d rather not look at those sorts of images.

- Jason

'61 Mercedes 220SEb coupe
'64 Land Rover IIa
'83 Mercedes 500SL
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 06:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004

I agree with heckflosse and Ears. Just ignore them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in