post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: BMW
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Please help. Need your input ASAP. Buying a car

Currently I have an '05 Acura TL with Navi and A-Spec, bluetooth, xenons and just about anything you can think of. BUT... I wanted to upgrade to a higher class car, so I've looked at several options, to include the '06 CLK350 with Navi, Xenons package, Satellite radio, wood steering wheel and leather. (Black on Stone leather).

My TL would get traided at a current payoff, so no problems there, plus I have to pay taxes only on the price difference ($21K).

Originally I stopped by Mercedes dealership and wanted to get on the Winter Sale event, but the CLK did not fall into that category. So, I asked them to run the numbers on $3,000 total at signing and they came back with like $850/mo payment. I laughed in their face, wrote down on a piece of paper that I'm willing to pay $3,000 total down at signing and will accept a payment of $600/mo for a lease. Told them to keep those numbers and call me, if they change their mind. Today I've got a call and they have agreed to my numbers (but for a 51 month (4.25 years)lease and 10,000 miles a year). But I have to do that deal by 3pm tomorrow (Tuesday, 3rd of January).

Here's my deal, my friends have told me that the lower class Mercedes quality has gone down in the last few years. BUT... what is considered lower class for Mercedes? Is it the C class? If that's the case, then doesn't CLK kind of fall into the C class category by worksmanship quality?

I spoke to my friends, but they can't say anything about the CLKs, because they are all older and drive S class. So it's kind of hard to get some kind of explanation from them.

Pleas tell me if you think that my deal is OK, and any comments on CLK quality and ownership experience will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 05:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
RE: Please help. Need your input ASAP. Buying a car

Go ahead and post your inquiry in the W209 forum, since that's what the new CLK is.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: BMW
(Thread Starter)

I posted here, because I need advice like now. And this forum board is not very populated, so I figured I'd get more visability in General Topic
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 06:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: SLK 350 MT

Save your $$$$ and find another make. Any major problems with your Benz will soon reveal not only the level of quality, but also the type of expertise (lack thereof) at the dealer and attitude that typifies MB-DC.
Never again.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 09:55 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 1985 300SD

I can't tell you anything from personal experience. However, I think the general consensus on many MB boards is that the quality of ALL MB has dropped since the merger with Chrysler.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 07:10 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2005

Ignore the false deadline. Take your time.

As to quality, I think MB has had to cut some corners in order to deal with the competition from Japan and the exchange rate. Basically, to compete with the Japanese cars on price, Benz (and Audi and BMW and Jaguar) needed to cut corners.

But what are your options? Acura is a nice car, but certainly not a "statement" car. Lexus and Infiniti have better images than Acura, but they are still plagued with gimmicky styling and no real heritage. Jaguar has the heritage but has TRULY dropped a few notches in quality right to the core of the vehicle (engines, platforms are off-the-shelf Ford pieces). That leaves BMW, Audi and Benz. Of the three, BMW has compromised quality the least, but it shows in the price/value. I love Audis, but to some, they are not in the same status as Benz. They don't sell any coupes, but I can attest that Audis have much nicer interiors than Benz.

All I can suggest is a long, long test ride. I think the Benz image is still very strong, and the basic engineering is excellent. Unlike Jaguar, Benz still makes their own cars from the ground up.

I just bought a 2002 C32 AMG (C-class sport sedan) and it replaced my 2000 Audi A6. German cars are never going to be as robotically reliable as Japanese, but if you take pleasure in owning a well-engineered machine (versus an appliance) then you'll like the Mercedes.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 07:20 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2005

Keep the '05 TL. I feel it is a better car.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 09:22 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 04-E320 (benz #7)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to zaphodsplanet

Quote:
vwbuge - 1/2/2006 10:55 PM

I can't tell you anything from personal experience. However, I think the general consensus on many MB boards is that the quality of ALL MB has dropped since the merger with Chrysler.

It was not a "merger"...

Benz bought Chrysler......

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 09:32 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 04-E320 (benz #7)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to zaphodsplanet

Quote:
filip75 - 1/2/2006 6:40 PM

Currently I have an '05 Acura TL with Navi and A-Spec, bluetooth, xenons and just about anything you can think of. BUT... I wanted to upgrade to a higher class car, so I've looked at several options, to include the '06 CLK350 with Navi, Xenons package, Satellite radio, wood steering wheel and leather. (Black on Stone leather).

My TL would get traided at a current payoff, so no problems there, plus I have to pay taxes only on the price difference ($21K).

Originally I stopped by Mercedes dealership and wanted to get on the Winter Sale event, but the CLK did not fall into that category. So, I asked them to run the numbers on $3,000 total at signing and they came back with like $850/mo payment. I laughed in their face, wrote down on a piece of paper that I'm willing to pay $3,000 total down at signing and will accept a payment of $600/mo for a lease. Told them to keep those numbers and call me, if they change their mind. Today I've got a call and they have agreed to my numbers (but for a 51 month (4.25 years)lease and 10,000 miles a year). But I have to do that deal by 3pm tomorrow (Tuesday, 3rd of January).

Here's my deal, my friends have told me that the lower class Mercedes quality has gone down in the last few years. BUT... what is considered lower class for Mercedes? Is it the C class? If that's the case, then doesn't CLK kind of fall into the C class category by worksmanship quality?

I spoke to my friends, but they can't say anything about the CLKs, because they are all older and drive S class. So it's kind of hard to get some kind of explanation from them.

Pleas tell me if you think that my deal is OK, and any comments on CLK quality and ownership experience will be appreciated.
Flip75...

Funny thing is that I almost bought an 05 TL myself. They do drive a hell of a lot nicer then I expected. But.... I started looking a other acura's that were 2 -3 years old.... while looking at a benz of the same time period.... I don't know why but there just wasn't a comparision in my mind. My ML is now my 5th benz.... and I must admit I'm hooked. I opted for something older... I got a 2000 with low miles. The CLK is built better than an ML in my opinion....

If you drive only 10K miles a year it's not a bad deal in my opinion... you'll be out a little over $33K in the end and then you walk away... for a $50K+ car....

To play devil's advocate.... LOL... I'd do it.... but I agree with what a couple others say about the deadline... just a bunch of BS.... ignore it... do whatever you want to do when you are ready. Good luck and let us know what you end up with. Back to work now...:)

Z
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 10:18 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I had a 2003 CLK (new body style) for a couple of years and thought it was terrific. I never had a bit of trouble with it, and I thought the quality was fine. Also IMHO one of the sexiest looking cars on the market.

I got rid of it only because of my car addiction...I still miss it. It isn't the quality of my stable of W123's, but still fine in today's marketplace.

The dealership, on the other hand, was one of the worst I've ever experienced (North Olmsted, OH). Car was delivered dirty on the inside and out, and the license plate was screwed into the front bumper crooked. Service (sheduled maintenance) thereafter was borderline rude. I will never go back.

MBUSA has a huge challenge on their hands regarding dealership service. Two exceptions are Ganley in Akron, OH and Mercedes of Greensboro, NC. They are both terrific.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in