LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 10:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI, 1995 E300D, 2002 Avalanche
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Please help. Need your input ASAP. Buying a car

I personnaly stay away from leases. 4 years is a loooong time. I had a 24 month lease on a Land Rover. I figured, I can handle 10K/year. Well, my wife gets transferred and all of a sudden we're putting 30K/yr on the car. If you like to change vehicles a lot, get bored easily or possibly or remotely think you might not be able to hit the 10k mark - steer clear.

The other thing I can't stand is the equity issue. Four years of paying and then walk away? That is like RENT. At least if you buy it you can sell it and retain some residual value at trade in.

As far as the car are like women, even if it has flaws, if you are attracted, you are going home with it.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 09:51 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2005

[QUOTE]zaphodsplanet - 1/3/2006 11:32 AM

Funny thing is that I almost bought an 05 TL myself. They do drive a hell of a lot nicer then I expected. But.... I started looking a other acura's that were 2 -3 years old.... while looking at a benz of the same time period.... I don't know why but there just wasn't a comparision in my mind. My ML is now my 5th benz.... and I must admit I'm hooked. I opted for something older... I got a 2000 with low miles. The CLK is built better than an ML in my opinion....

If you drive only 10K miles a year it's not a bad deal in my opinion... you'll be out a little over $33K in the end and then you walk away... for a $50K+ car....

To play devil's advocate.... LOL... I'd do it.... but I agree with what a couple others say about the deadline... just a bunch of BS.... ignore it... do whatever you want to do when you are ready. Good luck and let us know what you end up with. Back to work now...:)

That says a lot. I think Benz has done a great job evolving their model line in a way that pays respect to their older models. Acuras (and to a lesser extent Infiniti and Lexus) change so drastically that the earlier models look VERY old very quickly. A 10 year old Mercedes still looks good while a 10 year old Acura looks like an old Honda.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 03:32 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI

Personally, I have found the newer years are MORE reliable. Newer technology, materials, and assembly techniques are constantly improving vehicle reliability IMO.

My CDI has had a trunk leak that needed fixing and thats it for manufacturing defects, period. So far so good at 48,000 miles.

Mercedes always seem to look better than anything else on the road, with most looking like new at 100,000 miles. I wouldn't throw an old Merc out of my garage unless there was a good reason!

2005 E320 CDI
1999 ML320
Previous: 1993 190E 2.3, 1992 320SE, 1987 260E, 1984 190E 2.3
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

I have 98 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT and 99 ML430. The 98 Ram has been much more reliable than the ML, hands down. It may be Daimler Chrysler, but the quality of my truck is miles ahead of the ML.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 04:34 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Nov 2005

Here are my 2 cents. In the last few months of having my Merc. I have had a few problems which was quality issues I feel. Other than that driving my car is always a pleasure. I love it. I have never had a car which makes me so happy to have.

2000 S500 SPORT
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: