post #31 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
RE: Parents buying cars for son / daughter

Quote:
Michael Pillay - 1/4/2006 7:15 AM

My first car was a 1974 Buick LeSabre. I paid $360 which I earned by myself. When my son turns 16, I would like to get him a safe car. I worry about teenagers and speed. It has been more on my mind recently since I saw a show on tv about teenagers and driving. I cant imagine just giving him a car. My wife and I were talking about this and what we might do is buy something and "loan" it to him. If he wants to use it he has to buy the gas, maintain it, and pay at least part of the insurance. The car would still be ours, so It can be taken away whenever and has to be treated properly. We still have quite a few years to go before we get there. I am planning on a project car in a few years. Maybe a Jeep or a porsche 912. Either way I plan on putting in a roll cage. I might let him have that. I dont know. I am still thinking about all of this. Being a parent is not easy. You want to give your child the best and at the same time you want to teach him/her the value of things and the pride that comes with earning something.
Mike
Putting our kids into safe cars is of paramount importance; you have the right idea. The only comment I would make is based on watching kids grow up over the last 12 years or so. If you share the insurance with your child, you and your assets will be at risk in case of a lawsuit. If your child is on their own insurance it is much more difficult, if not impossible, to attach any settlement to your assets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)

Quote:
tuttebenne - 1/4/2006 3:44 PM

Quote:
Michael Pillay - 1/4/2006 7:15 AM

My first car was a 1974 Buick LeSabre. I paid $360 which I earned by myself. When my son turns 16, I would like to get him a safe car. I worry about teenagers and speed. It has been more on my mind recently since I saw a show on tv about teenagers and driving. I cant imagine just giving him a car. My wife and I were talking about this and what we might do is buy something and "loan" it to him. If he wants to use it he has to buy the gas, maintain it, and pay at least part of the insurance. The car would still be ours, so It can be taken away whenever and has to be treated properly. We still have quite a few years to go before we get there. I am planning on a project car in a few years. Maybe a Jeep or a porsche 912. Either way I plan on putting in a roll cage. I might let him have that. I dont know. I am still thinking about all of this. Being a parent is not easy. You want to give your child the best and at the same time you want to teach him/her the value of things and the pride that comes with earning something.
Mike
Putting our kids into safe cars is of paramount importance; you have the right idea. The only comment I would make is based on watching kids grow up over the last 12 years or so. If you share the insurance with your child, you and your assets will be at risk in case of a lawsuit. If your child is on their own insurance it is much more difficult, if not impossible, to attach any settlement to your assets.

Thank you for this information. I was not aware of this.
Mike

Mike
post #33 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 1990 300SE, 1983 300D
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 1985 300CD

I was 16 when my dad bought me an 85 300CD (January 2005). Then he bought me another 85 300CD. Then he bought me my current car, an 89 300SE (May 2005)

2015 BMW X1
1990 Mercedes-Benz 300SE W126
1988 Porsche 911 Targa Commemorative Edition
1983 Mercedes-Benz 300D W123
post #34 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 02:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2003
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

about a year ago my parents bought me my first car. It's a 190E 1.8 which costed about $1900. I've cared about the car, but not to the extend of caring when you actually bought it yourself. I guess I lacked some sense and respect. That was untill I smashed the back end into a pole, being a bit reckless and thinking I'm god. Ofcourse I paid for the repairs myself, and eversince I drive with much more respect, not only for the car, but for other roadusers, other occupants, etc. I've learned a lesson by needing to throw away my hard earned money on a thing that was so immensly stupid.
I guess everyone needs to go through this in the beginning of their driving carreer. I'm just happy I DIDN'T get a CL600, because it would be a car I can not afford and at my age by far not worthy to drive.

1991 MB 300TD: daily driver, going strong at 474.000kms
1991 MB 190E 1.8
1983 MB 190E 2.0 AMG 145PS: Restauration project up next...
2001 Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 16V Selespeed

post #35 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 12:56 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: E 500 / 560 SEL

When I have to buy my son a Merc I consider a 200 Diesel. But I can still save a few years; he's only 11[:)]
post #36 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 01:17 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 02 ML 320

When i turned 16 i was given an 00 ML that was a 4th car no one was driving at the time. I was very grateful i got a car like that to drive and i took care of it and kept it spotless, i didnt have the most expensive car at my school but i was in the top 5 with my car. most kids where known by their car i wasnt one of them i kept a low profile. Basically if your kid is responsible and before he turns 16 takes care of all the cars like i did i see nothing wrong with giving them a nice car just make sure that car you are giving them doesnt have to much power, i recommend 4wd cars for 1st time drivers since teens like to push the limits and ive seen all to many idiots at my school crash while trying to show off and 4wd would of helped their lack of skills. As i moved on to college my 00 ML was sold and i was given another 02 ML which was the car no one was driving a the time so its like a brand new car, and i have continued to treat it with respect.
post #37 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 03:07 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 300TE 4-Matic 300GD

Hi MrBenz55.

Yep, I bought my son a 190E when he turned 18. I don't think he really deserved it, but the alternative was a lot worse.

He has friends with cars, and taking the bus would be unthinkable. Most of them have crummy Bimmer 3 series, and old worn 190's. Some of them drive like they were spit out of hell. The thought of my only one stuffed in the middle of one of those, chills my spine. God knows I've picked up some of them in my time as a tower.

Now he isn't dependant on anyone for the constant shunt around the area. The car is in good shape, I can rest my mind on that. He has participated on the fixing up. I got the car from a customer that gave up when the fuel distributor went zulu. I get used parts for free. So I've actually only paid registration and insurance.

I converted sweat to money for my own first Benz, but letting my son "grow" on this issue is a luxury I can't afford. In principle, I agree that reality comes quicker to someone buying their own first car, though.

The important thing is, he's in a Benz, which he likes very much. That is a very important safety factor. We don't mess around with our "eyestones", do we?

Regards

Geir
post #38 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 06:17 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2005 S55; 2003 ML350; 2002 C240; 1997 C280 Sport; 1991 300SL; 1986 190e 2.3 16V (2); 1968 W30 442
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I bought a 1986 190e 2.3 16v for my 17 year old to use. It is still in my name. I have not given him a chance to work anyplace good because I move too much in my line of work.

He takes impecable care of the car.

He also drives the SD or the ML in the winter. I like driving both, so we switch off.

He also does all the maintenance on the 16v.

Plus he installed Eibachs on it himself, and new SLS shocks in the back.

He's rebuilt the entire front end of my SD.

He is fabricating three flame arrestor covers for Plain Vanilla with "Plain Vanilla" milled into them - very kewl stuff that most other boaters don't have.

He has started on fabricating a custom aluminum intake for the 16v designed for Hyabusa injectors. He plans on selling kits if it all works out.

He's doing this all by himself.

He washes and waxes all my cars, and helps with the boat.

He's a good kid, and so long as he stays on course, he'll get the 16v. And then I'll have to buy another one for myself! What a fun car to drive.

Thanks!
Fred
2005 S55
2003 ML350
2002 C240
1997 C280 Sport
1991 300SL
1986 190e 2.3 16V (2)
1968 W30 442
1988 46' Cougar US1 with Triple blown 572s
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/waybomb/
Warming the Globe, 24 Cylinders at a Time
Point me to a 126 wagon in the States PLEASE!
post #39 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 04:58 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: Perlmuttgrau 300SEL
Send a message via MSN to am3037

well, there was no way in hell my old man was ever gonna buy me SHIT!. Hes so tight, (yet totally loaded) that he doesnt even buy fresh milk for the family, he buys UHT milk coz its about 20c a litre cheaper. Yes, i grew up having to buy my own fucking milk!

We had teh crustiest toilet paper, like sandpaper, the heater never went on in winter for more than five minutes. It would be freezing outside, and youd come home with your mates and as soon as you walk inside, you notice you can still blow steam out of your mouth!!

Meanwhile the assclown is driving around in an (at the time) near new 420SEL and we live in a yuppie neighbourhood in Malvern East.

However, dad was well aware of the rebellion he was causing, and was quick to point out that buying a car he didnt approve of would result in beaing thrown out of the house. i grew up in a fucking dictatorship!

Anyways, i've learnt that it comes down to the individual. how well you know your own child will determine wether or not they are deservig of a car or not, or perhaps the parent will decide that they are better off earning the car themselves.

Looking back, i dont really care that dad didnt buy me a car (not that i ever expected it for a nano second.....it took four christmases to get a fucking game console; i got the sega master system just as Super NES was coming out!!)

I dont have kids, but i think from the outset i will be instilling in them the idea that there will be NO CAR FROM DADDY, however, that may change if i see a need for my kid to have one, i.e. he's happy to work during school but needs transport because theres no public transport or some other valid reason.

Oh, and tehy will all be HANDS ON type kids. There will be no dealer servicing for fuckin oil and plugs. If cars are still using them by the time i get around to it.

Cheers,
Aaron

Pearl Grey 300SEL.
HK import, 103,000miles.
post #40 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 07:07 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 2003 M-B G 500
Send a message via AIM to 03-MB-G

My son is only one right now, but I can assure you that he will get a brand new car when he is 16. Now if he becomes a criminal rapist or something like that maybe not :) I can tell you that. My grades sucked but I was a " good kid" I got a brand new Jeep Wrangler for my B-Day. Now this was over a decade ago when it cost 11,000. My wife and I argue about this cause I always say that I am getting him a Porsche as his first car and she yells at me. I dont buy the whole if you buy them a car they wont be resopnsible bullshit. I worked my ass off through college, work 60-80 hours a week and have made a nice living, family and home for myself at the ripe old age of 27. It is the WAY YOU RAISE THEM!!! PERIOD> Not what you buy them. I understood what a dollar was. My father is an OB/GYN and every birthday, bar mitzvah and holiday he was working. I saw what it meant to work hard, buy a 13 bedroom house, have nice cars and all the bullshit clothes and Jewelry my mom buys. Teach your children well and they will become what you want. ALSO, BE A GOOD ROLE MODEL. If you are a f-in schmuck, they probably will be as well....

03- Mercedes Benz G 500 Soon to Be Modded
01- Porsche 996 C2 Modded
04- Porsche Cayenne S 955 Modded
05- Infinit Fx-35 Wifes Grocery Getter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in