LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 07:41 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 1985 300SD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Parents buying cars for son / daughter

When I was 16 my parents spent $600 on a Subaru Brat for me. Since then I bought and sold a few on that initial investment. In the end I had a $1500 Subaru station wagon that was a hell of a car. My parents bought me the car so I could get to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 08:03 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: None

Is that model awd?

1990 560SEL - W126
-929 nautical blue metallic & 262 navy blue leather
-58,000 KM (36,200 Miles)
-Euro spec Japanese import (KAT edition)
-Complete service history since new
-5,546cc SOHC 16v V8
-10.0:1 compression
-285 hp@5200 rpm, 324 lb/ft@3750 rpm
-2.65 limited slip diff
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 08:17 AM
One of the BW Old Guard

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1988 560Sl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

When my oldest son turned 16, I began looking for a suitable auto for him. I found a great ole 1991 Jeep Cherokee, which I bought and gave to him his high-school junior year. In my opinion, his job and responsibility at the time was his school work, measured by grades. To date, I still cannot recall a grade below an "A" since Jr. High School. You might say, it was a reward, but I figure(d) he earned it.

He is a junior in computer/electrical engineering now, and is still carrying a 4.0 ... Oh, and the Jeep? It is still going strong!

RM Smith www.rmsmithco.com

Where is it again that we are going... And why are we in a handbasket?
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 09:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)

Quote:
w108 - 1/2/2006 10:18 PM

Purchasing a car for your children does not teach them the value of earning something. Further, they probably will not take care of the damn thing since they basically "won" it. What is the first thing you think of when consider if you "won" a vehicle at a raffle? Probably hocking it. Not a lot of respect for something just given to you. Not like if it was your sweat, blood and tears going into saving for the car.

Not learning to save will trickle into their spending habits and they will join the rest of the majority of the population that lives paycheck to paycheck, on credit cards and with debt up to their eyeballs.

If my kid just got their driver's license, I'd sit them down and go over a list of "realistic" cars they could afford and then coach them on how they could get it. Set up a list of pros and cons - even teach them about different cars and the buying process. If I did loan them the money I'd make them pay back every cent. Either way they have to be taught financial accountability.

Let them take the bus until then.

Tory
If all of life's lessons were learned on the merit of purchasing a car I would tend to agree with you.

Anyway, In my case my son had just finished working his arse off in High School to finish up 15th in his Senior class (something no one in my extended family had ever accomplished). He EARNED a scholarship which is worth almost as much as a Maybach and commutes for an hour each day to the university in New York City. I wouldn't say he has mastered the art of knowing the value of a buck yet, but he showed me that he's on the right path.

post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 12:44 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 1991 190E 2.6
Send a message via AIM to ButteryBenz

my grandfather owned a w201. he passed away when i was 15 and i figured i would inherit the fine automobile since thats what he told me before he died, but due to some mix up, my cousin got it and sold it. i had my heart set on this car though, so when i was 16 and scrounged up enough money i bought a relatively cheap 190e 2.6 without any help from my parents.

i dont think i fully appreciated it for what it is, since i got it for so cheap (a little under $2000), but when the head gasket blew along with a few valves breaking 5k miles later i had to pay more than i bought the car for, putting me in debt to my parents for a while. i have had full appreciation for my vehicle ever since i paid my mom back in full.

i do think making your kids buy their own cars can teach them a good lesson about appreciating the value of money, hard work, and expensive material goods, but i dont think you need to so hard on them. i mean, teenagers obviously do not have the experience, resources, or maturity to finance an automobile all by themselves. i think it is just being parental to want to help your child grow and learn all about owning a car and the responsibilities. this doesnt mean completely giving them a car, but also doesnt mean completely stranding them. cuz personally i would not have survived as a car owner if my parents hadnt helped out a little with insurance and with the paperwork and what not.
post #16 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 12:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: '86 190E 2.3L

Quote:
ButteryBenz - 1/3/2006 2:44 PM

my 190 is beginning to reach her end...
Nooo, lol. Are you going to get another 190?

If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
1986 190E 2.3L 135,000mi
post #17 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 01:24 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1991 190E 2.6
Send a message via AIM to ButteryBenz

i am really not sure. i have for sure fell in love with this car, but they are pretty expensive to fix/maintain and are kind of hard to work on yourself.. my dream cars would be 68 camaro, 68 firebird, or 82 corvette. if i had a copius amount of time, money, and garage space i would get all of these along with 2 190's and a sl600.. haha but we will see how this year goes.. i will probably end up getting a muscle car to work on for a few years, then once i buy a house and have all that secure, come back to the w201, my first love... [:D]
post #18 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 01:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 2001 Mercedes S500
Send a message via MSN to Edison_Chen

My parents bought the family 01 S500....

But my first car was 17; a 03 Chevrolet Cavalier PUPRLE, AUTOMATIC

REVscene.net
post #19 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 01:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
w108 - 1/2/2006 9:18 PM

Purchasing a car for your children does not teach them the value of earning something. Further, they probably will not take care of the damn thing since they basically "won" it. What is the first thing you think of when consider if you "won" a vehicle at a raffle? Probably hocking it. Not a lot of respect for something just given to you. Not like if it was your sweat, blood and tears going into saving for the car.

Good point in general, but in my case I would strongly disagree. I got my 420 SEL last year as an early Christmas present when I was 17. Originally my dad planned on getting it for himself but he gave it to me thank god. I really didn't like the bus ride to school so this car was a lifesaver. For the remainder of the school year I was the most famous kid in school. Many people thought it was a newer benz. W126 was well ahead of it's time for the 80s. But it doesn't mean I'm spoiled because it's an old car.

Ever since I've gotten the car I've kept it in mint condition. Like washing it at least once a week, cleaning the wheels of the brake dust every few days, And ALWAYS keeping the interior clean and spotless. Not a single night does this car spend out in the driveway, it's parked in the garage even as I write this. In addition, after start up I let the car warm up for about a minute..and for the first few critical miles after start up i keep the RPM below 2500. Rarely do i go past 4 k RPM unless provoked.

And the best part is my dad put the title of the car under my name a few weeks ago when we moved to Washington state. And since I'll be going to the Air Force as E3 I'll be making big bucks from the start. By the time I'm around 21 my goal is to buy a W220 S500.

Before and After pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44_1726163_13200633311PM.jpg (41.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 44_1726163_13200633430PM.jpg (31.1 KB, 22 views)
post #20 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 06:15 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: '91 560SEC

My parents would never buy me a car in a million years [:(!]

I'm 17, and have bought both my Mercedes, which was pretty easy considering i don't yet have to pay for things like shelter, food, etc... But once i'm out on my own i have a feeling i may need to downgrade.

Eli
1986 Mercedes-Benz 420SEL SOLD
1991 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC SOLD
2007 Honda Civic SI SOLD
2006 Suzuki SV650N SOLD
2001 Acura 3.2TL, 1988 Honda VF750C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in