post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 2006 E350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
advice needed/new car problem

I recently posted problems I had with my lease an E350 2006 I just got two weeks ago. The engine had a slight knocking, the transmission was jerking on the downshift and there is a slight grinding noise in the rear... I was told to drive the car and see what happens.... well two weeks later... here I am.

the car is at the dealer, they called me and told me the following:

1.the lifters are being replaced on one side of the engine

2. they ordered a "clip" for the transmission and will upgrade the software too.

i dont know how to react??? is this a lemon? is it fair to have to go through this after only two weeks with a new car. what would you all feel and do?

thank you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 06:10 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: SLK 350 MT
RE: advice needed/new car problem

MB has a corporate behavior of denial and delay. The dealers are quite variable in their shop capabilities. In most states there is a requirement of three attempts to repair, 30 days out of service or three major defects. You are fortunate in that they have already agreed to do something. Good luck with MB- they usually force every case to trial. Your only out may be since you leased , you wouldn't be the one disposing of it at the end of the term and they still own the car. Find out if your state allows you to walk away.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 09:39 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: SL500, ML320, E320

Certainly a disappointing start and probably more reflective of the dealership than the brand. To simply offer counsel of "wait and see what happens" seems either arrogant, simply lazy or both.

I'd suggest giving them a chance to square things, potentially talk with your sales rep or a GM to at least let them know your concerns and go from there.

I'm certain in a state with Elliott Spitzer as the AG, consumer protection laws are vigilant to the point of overkill.

Please let us know what happens.
Regards-

CQRT
Scottsdale
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 2006 E350
(Thread Starter)

thanks gentelman for your letters about this.. i was at the dealer today and they are waiting for parts to come in from germany. there is something with the lifters on the exhaust side of the engine and the clip is comming in as well as a software upgrade for transmission. the service manager told me to hang in there and they will see what to do when the sales rep comes back from a vacation.

i will keep you all posted. i am concerned , somewhat frustrated...the rational side of me says... no big deal they are fixing it .. its a lease.. the irrational says-MB is should be perfect out the gate! and its not fair i have to get into a car thats had its seal broken after 700 miles...we 'll see what happens...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 05:20 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: SL500, ML320, E320

It absolutely should be better than that and it's frustrating when high expectations aren't met. Of our three MB's - -an `99-SL 500, `01-E320 and ML320 . . .the M is the newest but the biggest disappointment as far as quality and consistency . . . even more frustrating that it's made in America!

I think MB recognizes they've lost significant market share to BMW and others and are working hard to restore credibility and respect to the brand. About the time I start to consider buying a new one, I read stories like yours and stop short.

Clearly, the jury's still out. Please let the forum know what transpires. Best wishes for the new year!
Regards-

CQRT
Scottsdale
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 05:47 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1985 300 SD

Are you serious when you say that they say they will see what to do when the sales rep. returns from vacation? If they did say this and you accepted it, I want to sell you a bridge.

Does the sales rep. run the company? What if his vacation is 30 or 60 days? Can you tell them that you will pay them when you return from a extended hike in the Himalayas?

Vendors telling a customer such absolute b.s. as this, should not be vendors.

Any and I MEAN ANY vendor that goes on vacation without notifying their customers or FAILS to put in place contingency plans during their absence, should be run out of town.

Joe

If you accept bad treatment as outlined above, then, you are part of the problem. They know they can get away with it.

Quote:
dadiamond67 - 12/30/2005 8:14 PM

thanks gentelman for your letters about this.. i was at the dealer today and they are waiting for parts to come in from germany. there is something with the lifters on the exhaust side of the engine and the clip is comming in as well as a software upgrade for transmission. the service manager told me to hang in there and they will see what to do when the sales rep comes back from a vacation.

i will keep you all posted. i am concerned , somewhat frustrated...the rational side of me says... no big deal they are fixing it .. its a lease.. the irrational says-MB is should be perfect out the gate! and its not fair i have to get into a car thats had its seal broken after 700 miles...we 'll see what happens...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 06:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I found when I had a bad problem with MB regarding a Starmark issue, I wore a shirt with the problem screened on the back at the North American International Auto Show in the Mercedes Booth on Press Day while Helada was there. Problem did not need to go to trial but avoiding confrontation with his bodyguards required finesse. I also handed out brochures at that event and the F1 race the September before.

Just in case you need to escalate.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 10:51 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1985 300 SD

Mcbear,

In my opinion, you were the captain of your own ship.
You did not rely on someone else to tell you to go below and quit interfering.

If only folks would realize that they have the power to change things by being firm, courteous and adamant about problems they are having, it would go a very long way toward a successful resolution.

All of the above assumes that the customer is right.

Too many people have tucked their tail between their legs and let vendors take their money. This trains the vendor that they will meet with little, if any, resistance when they abuse their clientel.

Joe

Quote:
mcbear300E - 1/7/2006 7:39 PM

I found when I had a bad problem with MB regarding a Starmark issue, I wore a shirt with the problem screened on the back at the North American International Auto Show in the Mercedes Booth on Press Day while Helada was there. Problem did not need to go to trial but avoiding confrontation with his bodyguards required finesse. I also handed out brochures at that event and the F1 race the September before.

Just in case you need to escalate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in