post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 300sd Turbo diesel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Carbon from my tail pipe

I have just ran 2 cans of Lubro Moly Diesel Purge through my engine , and changed my fuel filters after doing so. I did this because I had just bought my car (1982 Mercedes 300sd ) and figured since the air filter and oil was neglected so much it need the injectors cleaned as well. Anyway the day after I ran the diesel purge the car was really hard to start(not something that was happening before hand) and when it did it spat out a shi# load of black smoke. Can anyone tell me if this is typical or are my injectors most likely worn?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 05:19 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 1985 300SD
RE: Carbon from my tail pipe

You need a good italian tune up and things will be fine.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

I took the car for a 100 k ride twice since using the purge, leaning on the engine quite alot and still this morning it is hard to start.There is also still the smoke issue upon starting.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 07:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2003
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz

how many miles are on the engine?
It's possible that the diesel purge has removed any carbon deposits which were at places where they functioned as an oil seal. think piston rings, cylinder walls, valve seatings, etc. By removing all the deposits, you let oil run around more freely, sometimes places it shouldn't run.
perhaps you should try to put in thicker oil, such as 20W50 or SAE30 and see what happens.
The hard starting may suggest compression loss. This can be caused by worn out piston compression rings. If the engine was run with a really dirty, or even no airfilter, the cylinder walls may be warped out.

1991 MB 300TD: daily driver, going strong at 474.000kms
1991 MB 190E 1.8
1983 MB 190E 2.0 AMG 145PS: Restauration project up next...
2001 Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 16V Selespeed

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 09:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)

If you are truly getting black smoke from the tailpipe it sounds more like an extremely rich mixture. You might have to have someone inspect the performance of the fuel distributors and injectors.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 10:04 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 04-E320 (benz #7)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to zaphodsplanet

Quote:
adrenelin500 - 12/29/2005 11:29 PM

I have just ran 2 cans of Lubro Moly Diesel Purge through my engine , and changed my fuel filters after doing so. I did this because I had just bought my car (1982 Mercedes 300sd ) and figured since the air filter and oil was neglected so much it need the injectors cleaned as well. Anyway the day after I ran the diesel purge the car was really hard to start(not something that was happening before hand) and when it did it spat out a shi# load of black smoke. Can anyone tell me if this is typical or are my injectors most likely worn?
Not exactly sure what your problem is but I'd recommend you check out mercedessource.com I used them for all sorts of stuff with the two W123's I owned. The guy who owns it may also be of help in narrowing down your problem... he helped me before. They also have a lot of great DIY kits and manuals.

It does sound as if you are running too rich. If the thing was leaking a lot of oil internally you would be puffing out a lot of white/blue smoke... not black. You could also have a bad glow plug or two. If you have a meter check them out. Do do this you just need to make contact on the end where the wire connects... and to the engine block someplace. If you get some kind of reading it's good. if not it's bad. Changed them all out on the last 123 I had and it made a huge difference in startup. Stopped the immediate smoking... and it actually started up all the way ... right away... instead of sounding like it was running on 2 cylinders... then 4 and then 5. The glow plugs are on the drivers side of the engine.

Take care,
Z

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 06:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
... and it actually started up all the way ... right away... instead of sounding like it was running on 2 cylinders... then 4 and then 5. The glow plugs are on the drivers side of the engine.
Ahhhhh. That brings back fond memories of my 123...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 07:34 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 04-E320 (benz #7)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to zaphodsplanet

Quote:
tuttebenne - 12/30/2005 7:59 PM

Quote:
... and it actually started up all the way ... right away... instead of sounding like it was running on 2 cylinders... then 4 and then 5. The glow plugs are on the drivers side of the engine.
Ahhhhh. That brings back fond memories of my 123...

LOL... it really does doesn't it?...you must know from where I speak friend....LOL....

sometimes I miss Stinky (it's nickname) Miss having to pop the hood to shut it off.... I miss the trail of smoke.. or maybe I just miss having a car that I could honestly call "Stinky"....LOL the 123 are great cars though.

They do have nice lines though don't they.... hey... found a pic of stinky....

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the info everyone, I think I'll start with the injectors first tutte. It was my first suspect anyway.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 10:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
LOL... it really does doesn't it?...you must know from where I speak friend....LOL....

sometimes I miss Stinky (it's nickname) Miss having to pop the hood to shut it off.... I miss the trail of smoke.. or maybe I just miss having a car that I could honestly call "Stinky"....LOL the 123 are great cars though.

They do have nice lines though don't they.... hey... found a pic of stinky....

"Stinky." I fully understand. Great name! I wasn't half as creative when I named our 123 wagon "Greenie." It was this unusual nonmetallic color called Eibengrun. I loved that car and will post a pic when I locate one. I used to kid one of my buddies by saying "Joe, there's nothing like the smell of diesel exhaust in the morning!"

Best wishes,

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in