Some issues on a W210 E 320 CDI T, heater and diesel smell - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: ´01 E320CDIT,´77 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Some issues on a W210 E 320 CDI T, heater and diesel smell

Hi guys!

Hope you had a merry x-mas.

There are some issues on my E 320 CDI T, W210, model 5/2001, which I hope to get some help for here....

1.) the cars smells like Diesel on the outside, even if parked 2 days and nights. There is almost no smell inside and no diesel is leaking on the street.
The performance of the car is o.k., the gas consumption is about 9-12 litres diesel / 100km.

2.) The heater does not pour air out of the two outlets in the midle of the dashboard and at the lower outlets for the feet. No cold and no hot air.
The heater works as the two outlets at left and right on the dash pour hot and cold air as they should.
I guess there are some air-guides stuck in the dashboard.
Do you have an idea how to fix this? Is this a typical problem with these 210 models?

The car stood at the dealership for 18 month before I bought it. Maybe this info is of help.
I tried to adjust the outlet position manually with the possibilities the automatic ac controller gives me, but nothing was changing.

The rest of the car works perfectly, the mileage is 60.000 Km and the general condition is 2. So it is not a worn out pice of junk.

The car is equipped with an automatic air condition and a normal CD player (not manual, no command).

Maybe you got an idea for me as it is pretty cold here in southern Germany at the moment and I would like to warm up my feet a bit....

Thanks a lot in advance and kind regards!

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 12:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
RE: Some issues on a W210 E 320 CDI T, heater and diesel smell

Hi, I've had a W210 E320CDI some time ago, it did average a lot less than 9-12 litres / 100km. I've done with a W211 E320CDI 7.1 to 7.2 l/100km, including long, true winter time in the north (and the CDI consumes quite a lot more when it is cold, say -5 to -15 degrees Celsius). W211 is perhaps 0.5 litters / 100km better than W210. Or are you doing only city driving in Munich? Would expect some leak, but then again, losing a litre or more per 100km is quite a big leak. And the car is too young for a leak, hasn't been hit by a traffic accident or something?

Old diesel engines had pipes that carry excess diesel back from injection nozzles (sorry, don't know the correct terminology), those often started leaking at 100 000km. Haven't had a look at my car, but from, I find similar pipes on a new CDI. Still, my W210 did not leak at 64 000km (when I sold it). Anyway, even diesel would mostly evaporate when it leaks over the engine. Would suggest taking the plastic covers out and see what happens when the engine is running.

The centre outlets hardly get open for heating if driven automatically by the car (the lower ones certainly should). Mainly open at summer to let cold air out. If you have the automatic AC, with an LCD display, you can run it on a diagnostic mode and control each air valve independently, perhaps some are stuck, from a long stay at the dealer (I wouldn't really expect that though). I'm not sure if I dare to send the MB originated info through the forum, could send by email, but the info may be found from internet already. Might be useful to check that there is sufficient vacuum to drive the vents.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:50 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 98 E300 Turbo Diesel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The return fuel line maybe leaking where it comes out of the fuel filter...there is a o ring that has dried out and maybe leaking
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 07:05 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
It was an old post, the OP unlikely needs help any more but are you referring to the O-rings at the front of the engine? Those may leak, on a CDI the high pressure pump should be checked but the diesel smell could be from leaking fuel injectors too.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
The thread is only 3 years, what you call old?
I just had similar or the same problem on my 320 cdi in W211. Took me quite some time to figure out why perfectly dry engine leaves fuel stain on the driveway.
Turned out that fuel supply line was leaking on factory crimp connection. The metal tubing was "shooting into the sky" while crimped hose was making 90 degree turn into the filter. Small drip on the connection was running down the tubing leaving no easily visible marks. Took me washing the engine 3 times and wrapping paper towel around the line to pinpoint it.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: