post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 1990 300E, 2002 ML500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: Driving Gloves

Well we don't have too many leather shops around here, but I looked on Amazon and found what appears to be a nice pair by Siegler & Co., http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009T8B3U/qid=1135363613/sr=8-7/ref=pd_bbs_7/104-8220528-1702317?v=glance&n=507846

flyboyike, I used to live in Colorado, so I do know about the cold that is in the mid-west and yes ti is colder.

I mainly want gloves so that my hands won't slip any. They have before, nothing too serious, but it is never fun. I don't want them for comfort or for looks, I want them to serve a purpose of giving me better grip. I just wanted to know if you guys knew of any good pairs or if there were any with the star on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 01:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2005

Rough crowd! Funny stuff though. I was wondering where all the action was on this web site.

Driving gloves are nice when you need them. I would consider getting them for the rare on-track performance driving event. In the winter, I always have a decent pair of gloves with grip. Although, my car came with this built-in system that pumps warm air into the car, rendering the use of gloves only necessary for the first 3 minutes.

I have found, however, that the presence or absence of a logo on the back of the glove plays little or no role in their function. That would leave only one reason to want the logo -- and that would be so you and others could see it and know of your car owning prowess. But if you're using the gloves while driving in the Benz, then the logo on the glove will not advance their knowledge of your vehicular status since the car bears several Benz logos, and is itself visually identifiable as a Benz. Thus, the only real benefit would be to wear the Benz-logo driving gloves while "out-and-about." Ick.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

I just wanted the Star to accent the car, I wouldn't wear driving gloves outside of a car, hence why they are called driving gloves. Yes, I have a heater too, but it doesn't exactly warm the steering wheel.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 05:56 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
dahappybanana - 12/23/2005 5:48 PM

I just wanted the Star to accent the car, I wouldn't wear driving gloves outside of a car, hence why they are called driving gloves. Yes, I have a heater too, but it doesn't exactly warm the steering wheel.
Get yourself some gloves and spring for a pair of blinders while your at it so you won't have to read soap-box Joes vicious pontification.

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 10:27 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2005

Friends and foes...

Driving gloves are great, even for casual driving. I drive a LOT... and I mean a lot. On real long trips, good, light, tight-fitting ventilated leather gloves are a great help. You can steer the wheel simply with the natural friction between the glove and the wheel, w/out gripping the wheel at all. As a professional pianist, I love the freedom the gives me to keep my hands relaxed and free of cramps. Additionally, it keeps your hands out of the wind with the top down (560SL owner and daily 325i driver) and prevents chapping. There are tons of benefit, and NONE of it has anything to do with ego. Of course, there are also people who buy'em because "they look cool." Is that really any sillier than all of the aftermarket bling LOTS of you put on your cars, i.e., huge aluminum rims on SUVS (gimme a break), exotic headlights, brush bars on trucks that will NEVER see brush, ground effects and spoilers (yeah, right.. THOSE are useful in 99.99% of everyday driving).. the list goes on. The guy asked about gloves. Gloves cost $40, and make driving more comfortable. I think it's a great question. If I read one more question about adding a carbon fibre trim kit to a sedan or the best lowprofile tire to use on an ML, I'm gonna scream.

Now.. to answer the original question... Wheelskins makes an excellent pair of driving gloves. Do a websearch, and you'll find'em. Wheelskins.

I'm gone..

Barry
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:01 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1985 300 SD

You would do well by doing the same, TK.
Then,you could have more time to babysit your whiny vendor/s.

Your friend,

Joe

Quote:
ThrillKill - 12/23/2005 6:56 PM

Quote:
dahappybanana - 12/23/2005 5:48 PM

Get yourself some gloves and spring for a pair of blinders while your at it so you won't have to read soap-box Joes vicious pontification.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
musechaser - 12/24/2005 12:27 AM

Now.. to answer the original question... Wheelskins makes an excellent pair of driving gloves. Do a websearch, and you'll find'em. Wheelskins.

Barry
I did run across those, they do appear to be nice. My only complaint is the velcro, I am not the biggest fan, but I guess if they did it correctly so that non of it irritated your skin, and I assume they do otherwise people wouldn't like them, then they could be good gloves. The only other noticable difference between Wheelskin and Siegler and Co. is that Wheelskin uses deerskin and Siegler and Co. uses lambskin, can anyone explain how leathers differ? Now to make sure, it says measure around the palm, it means to measure on this reed line correct:

If so I will be a size extra large, doesn't suprise me.

I actually hope many people don't see me in driving gloves, I get sick of hearing these people who say, oh Mercedes aren't sporty, they can't do anything. I always tell them to get in my 300E one day and let me show them around these mountains and they usually back down, but still believe that load of shit about Mercedes not being sporty.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 12:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1985 300 SD

Banana:

How about getting some dishwashing gloves? Most are rubber and are not insulated. They would grip the wheel very well.

True, they won't have the MB logo on them but with a steady hand, you could take a Marks-A-Lot and do it yourself.

You could wheel up to your school or where ever you and your friends hang out, screech on the brakes and turn the wheel and skid sideways to a stop, showering onlookers with gravel, roadkill, and dog droppings while a cloud of dust and whirlwinds catch up to you and you could casusally saunter out of your make-believe Maserati, cigarette dangling loosely from your lips, swagger a bit, remove your driving goggles and with great aplomb and fanfare, slowing, tantalizingly, with macho sexual innuendo, peel off your flaming pink dishwashing gloves. Non-insulated, mind you. Terribly long run-on sentence but you get the idea.

Now, I have given you an idea and I expect credit for when you complete your new image with driving goggles.

Google for goggles and let me know what you come up with.

We could all take up a collection for your dishwashing gloves and driving goggles.
They would be cheap, too. What say?

Your friend,

Joe.

P.s. I am having a bit of fun at your expense but hey, you are a happy banana, right?

Quote:
dahappybanana - 12/24/2005 1:07 AM

Quote:
musechaser - 12/24/2005 12:27 AM

Barry
I did run across those, they do appear to be nice. My only complaint is the velcro, I am not the biggest fan, but I guess if they did it correctly so that non of it irritated your skin, and I assume they do otherwise people wouldn't like them, then they could be good gloves. The only other noticable difference between Wheelskin and Siegler and Co. is that Wheelskin uses deerskin and Siegler and Co. uses lambskin, can anyone explain how leathers differ? Now to make sure, it says measure around the palm, it means to measure on this reed line correct:

If so I will be a size extra large, doesn't suprise me.

I actually hope many people don't see me in driving gloves, I get sick of hearing these people who say, oh Mercedes aren't sporty, they can't do anything. I always tell them to get in my 300E one day and let me show them around these mountains and they usually back down, but still believe that load of shit about Mercedes not being sporty.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 02:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500 2002 SLK320

Go here. http://www.wheelskins.com/driving_gloves.php

MBUSA used to sell driving gloves. I ordered driving gloves in April 2004. MBUSA sent me a kit to measure my hands. I sent the kit in and waited for 3 months. So I called MBUSA and asked what happen to my driving gloves. MBUSA called me back the next day and apologized and refunded my money. MBUSA discovered the glove vendor was no longer in business. Some times I wonder how MBUSA runs their business.

2002 SLK320
2004 SL500
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 06:27 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
jbleaux - 12/23/2005 12:01 AM

You would do well by doing the same, TK.
Then,you could have more time to babysit your whiny vendor/s.
I realize the futility in this however, as I stated before, the person (vendor) who bested you and to whom your unstable ranting (whenever your thumb was removed from your mouth) was initially aimed at, neither was nor is affiliated with BW.
You'd do better to change your sig to "Remember Blue Ridge"

Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in